The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2015, 10:53 PM   #1
Vance

Pictures for Beagle

These pictures were taken with my cell phone. Hopefully you can see them. Beagle had asked me for pictures of bullets powder coated with a Caswell PC gun, so here they are from 4 directions.

Can't really see much with the grey. The only other color I have right now is black. It does a good job.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:00 PM   #2
Vance

These were before baking for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. After baking, they are shiny.
Old May 26, 2015, 04:27 AM   #3
Beagle333

Very nice, Vance! Thanks for the pics.

That Caswell gun is definitely on my Wish List!!!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old May 26, 2015, 06:40 AM   #4
snuffy

Looks to me that the Caswell gun is an exact copy of the Harbor Freiht system. I have the HF version, it works fine. Bad part s the wires get tangled up and the hose is stiff and hard to navigate.

http://www.caswellplating.com/hv-pow...ng-system.html

I may try one of the self contained guns. It seems they would be easier to maneuver, easier to get an even coat. The Caswell/HF guns have a learning curve to get the best results. I found right away that it's VERY important to direct the spray from every direction at the boolits. I solved that requirement with a lazy susan from Amazon. Grounding the base transfers the ES through the steel bearings to the tray with the AL non-stick foil on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Beari...usan+turntable

Only thing I wish is it was motorized so it would be hands free. Then you would not have to turn it! Yeah I know wish in one hand and---

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 26, 2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Vance

The caswell unit has an adjustment knob on the back that lets you change the static charge intensity between 30 and 50Kv. Does the HF unit have that?
Old May 26, 2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Beagle333

No. The HF unit is a fixed power. I read somewhere it's around 12-15KV.
And the gun only has one electrode to charge the powder. Doesn't the Caswell have three on the front of the gun?
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old May 26, 2015, 09:36 PM   #7
Vance

The caswell gun had a center electrode that will hold one of three included diffusers and three more electrodes surrounding the center one evenly spaced. The center diffuser holder may not be an electrode, but I believe it is. There is a very noticeable spark when I touch it to a ground after I am done spraying. They state to do that so you don't accidentally shock your self if you happen to touch it.
Old May 26, 2015, 09:50 PM   #8
Beagle333

I bet 30-50KV would be memorable. Ya don't wanna do that twice!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old May 27, 2015, 07:20 PM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
The caswell unit has an adjustment knob on the back that lets you change the static charge intensity between 30 and 50Kv. Does the HF unit have that?
No it does not.

Quote:
No. The HF unit is a fixed power. I read somewhere it's around 12-15KV.
And the gun only has one electrode to charge the powder. Doesn't the Caswell have three on the front of the gun?
That's what I get for shooting off my mouth without actual knowledge. I stand corrected. My info is simply the "guns" shape and size looks the same. I see where the extra cost comes from.

Extra static charge would make the powder "wrap around" the backs of the boolits, eliminating the need to shoot from all angles to get coverage.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 27, 2015, 07:37 PM   #10
Vance

The jars are rumored to be the same and the caswell jars will fit the hf unit. Caswell sells jars by themselves, so if you want spares for your hf unit, there you go.

I bought the caswell gun because I thought my eastwood gun was failing. Turns out that the grey powder is just difficult to work with.