The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 11, 2002, 02:19 AM   #1
saands

Which recoil pad?

At the risk of sounding older than I am ... it used to be a LOT simpler to choose a recoil pad when the local store only carried one brand! I just went through one paper catalog and Brownells online catalog and am now considering building my 300WM without a recoil pad ... OK ... I'm not really considering that, but there must be 50 to 60 choices out there. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am interested in 3 points ... in order of importance:

1. Effectiveness at doing its job
2. Durability
3. Ease of finishing
4. Weight ... light would be nice.

Thanks ...
Saands
Old January 11, 2002, 08:59 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Saands, I have a lot of customers who after I introduced them to the Kickeeze pads won't have anything else on their rifles and shotguns. I think they are the best all around. George
Old January 11, 2002, 10:10 AM   #3
LIProgun

Another vote for the Kickeeze pads. I recently installed one on a Rem 870 Express Magnum and found it to be easy to work with (shape and finish), and very effective, even with 3-inch magnum loads. I've never done a weight comparison, but they sure feel light.

No word on durability yet.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old January 11, 2002, 12:59 PM   #4
DeBee

You could just go with a Neidner Checkered Plate if you like recoil- real classy- takes extra care and work to get it on there right...

Or, for a more classic look, the red rubber English Pad Brownells has for about $38 - a tad on the expensive side and has an annoying spur on the heel which has to be inletted or sanded off...

I've heard the KickEzee are less durable than the Pachymar but are slightly superior to taming the bite. The KickEzee pads tend to tear and they must be installed according to instructions as to grit of wheels and speed... If it tears, replace it- that's what most people do.
Old January 11, 2002, 04:00 PM   #5
mikey357

KickEeze or Pachmayr Decelerator is the way to go if recoil reduction is a concern...the "KE" is a little harder to fit, the Pachy probably not quite as effective at absorbing recoil...NEITHER will last quite as long as a CONVENTIONAL rubber pad...FWIW....mikey357