The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2016, 03:58 PM   #1
axis223

powder-primer help

i started using h335 for 223 bolt action and it shoots really good but I'm a little concerned with it being temp sensitive that I'm sitting outside all day with the hot sun and go to shoot a woodchuck and the gun blows up. I'm shooting almost max of hogdon data and over max hornady book.

I shot benchmark the other day and it shot well also but I have a couple thousand mag primers and ive been told only use mag primers for ball powder.

thoughts on h335 in the heat?

thoughts on using mag primers for stick powder?
Old June 30, 2016, 04:07 PM   #2
SHR970

Unless it's 150 degrees out and you leave the gun / ammo in the trunk of your car and then pull it out to use...you are over estimating your chances of having a Kaboom by a foactor of 1000.

Over the years I have been out in the So. Cal. deserts on bonafide 115+ days with book max loads and have not even experienced STICKY extraction. Considering I have used a large variety of powders that weren't of the Not Sensitive persuasion I think you are worried over very little.

Edit to add: I highly doubt you will find the conditions that would spike your pressures up over 50% to even bring you into proof load range unless you worked up from max loads deveoloped @ 40 below and then used them @ 120 above: even then your gun would most likely would hold but have a stck bolt.

Last edited by SHR970; June 30, 2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old June 30, 2016, 05:01 PM   #3
TMD

Temp sensitive powders has more to due with extreme cold than high heat.