The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 26, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1
IMTHDUKE

SW Bodyguard info........

I am needing to come up with a revolver for a lady. Her budget is $300. I was thinking of a SW Bodyguard, maybe a used one. Question is, for those you you who have fired one....How is the trigger pull, considering a small woman would be using the gun? Thanks
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old October 26, 2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Strafer Gott

EDC is the BG38. I really like it for pocket carry, and frequently forget it's there. Trigger pull is good in double action, and accuracy is just fine. I shoot +P and it's rated for it. Recoil is mild. It's probably cheaper without the laser, but I didn't bother looking.
Old October 26, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Niner4Tango

I have an older M38 Airweight Bodyguard and a newer 442, also Airweight.

Trigger pull is very heavy, that's their "safety". Also, because of the small size, there is not a lot to hold onto when squeezing the trigger. I consider the J Frame to be the most difficult to shoot of any handgun.

But, my wife is also small and she shoots them just fine. She doesn't like the recoil much, so wouldn't practice enough with them if they were her only choice of firearm.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Technosavant

Trigger pull is better than the traditional S&W J frame revolvers. The plastic frame also mitigates the recoil somewhat, so it's generally easier to shoot than a 642/442.

It still isn't the easiest gun in the world to shoot well, but it can be learned without much trouble.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Genepix

I have the bg38- in fact, took it to the range yesterday. I find it fairly comfortable to shoot, but I've been working on my j-frame skills pretty regularly. I do know that the first time I fired my 642, it hurt a lot...Shooting a revolver of that size and weight will most certainly teach you how to grip it properly, so as to minimize the bite that it can have. Also, there are lots of ammo choices out there that will make a small revolver like that more comfy to shoot. The bg is rated +p, but I think I would stay with standard pressure until she becomes more familiar... Trigger pull is pretty smooth and predictable, and the gun is very accurate at the distance it is designed to cover...

My bg has the laser, which I wish it did not- pretty awkward to use if you need to shoot it in a hurry.

I have Crimson Trace grips on my model 65 k-frame so that the laser is activated the instant you pick it up. I like that a lot!.