The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
CrufflerSteve

Light Cowboy Load 45LC AA#5

I've never overloaded guns but I tend to do proper loads. I have a couple of old mdel Vaqueros and a Marlin in 45LC. I've always figured, since I wasn't that fast, I'd use real loads, not mouse fart loads like some do.

I use AA#5 since its a good all round load for a wide variety of pistol and I have a lot of it so I'm committed.

The full bore loads have been getting hard on my wrists so I have reconsidering. My last session at the range convinced me. I was shooting my 250 grain lead RNFP rounds with 10 grains of AA#5 in Starline brass. I ran out of ammo and had brought along some 8 or 9 year old 45 Shofield I'd loaded for my son when he was a little fellow. It was 200 grain bullets and a light load. I was amazed when I shot twice as fast and much more accurately.

I don't have much of the Shofield brass but I do have a least a 1000 pieces of 45LC brass. They're up to about load 12 and looking great. I'm almost out of bullets so maybe I'll get some 200 grain bullets and see how it works. The 45LC case is much larger than the 45 Shofield so I wondered if anybody had any suggestions.

Also, who has good deals on lead bullets nowadays? I'm not big on anonymous gunshow bullets since I bought some oval 45ACP bullets.

Steve
Old April 4, 2009, 08:49 PM   #2
BigJakeJ1s

I use trail boss with 45 colt, 200 gr RNFP for a light load. You could double charge without overflowing, but you would not be able to seat the bullet. Hodgdon.com has load data online for it.

And