The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2009, 09:23 AM   #1
chief

what do you recommend for a replica?

Hi all, I'm looking to get a 1860's Colt Army and a 1858 Remignton.. I've been reading up alot on umberti and pietta, any experience with any of these?

Thx in advance.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:32 AM   #2
gwnorth

So is a current Colt SA Army too expensive? Just saying if I wanted a Colt Army, I would want the real deal, since they still make them to the same specifications. But they are pricey.

Of the two you mention, I have fired a few friends Umberti's and they seem pretty well made, but I can't claim to have a lot of experience with them.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:36 AM   #3
chief

yes to expensive, I'm looking to spend 4-$600 MAX
Old March 1, 2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

We have a blackpowder forum, so I'm going to move this there.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Hawg

I've got a Pietta 60 Army and a 58 Remington. Great guns. I have two Uberti SAA's and the fit and finish on them isn't any better than the Pietta C&B. Not as good on one.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
So is a current Colt SA Army too expensive? Just saying if I wanted a Colt Army, I would want the real deal, since they still make them to the same specifications. But they are pricey.
He said 60 Colt, not SAA. Third gen. 60's weren't made by Colt, just licensed by them.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7
chief

Sorry about that Mike, I keep posting in the wrong forum...

if any of you have pics of your own pls post..
Old March 1, 2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Hawg

I imagine folks hereabouts are tired of seeing my pics.

Pietta 60 Colt

Pietta 58 Remington. I bought this one used is why it has a drag line from the hammer being let down from half cock. I've since bought a new cylinder but haven't updated my pic.

Old March 1, 2009, 11:27 AM   #9
chief

Very nice Hawg..

if you dont mind me asking how much you pay for a used '58?
Old March 1, 2009, 11:55 AM   #10
w_houle

The cylinder for the Pietta is the longest for all of the 1860s (as well as 1851s), so I would go with it. Not sure about the remmys though. If you get a cartridge conversion for it you will find that the pietta will take the longest OAL, although mine doesnt like factory .45 Colt OAL of 1.6", but does .45 Schofield just fine, as i imagine all the other ones would too.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:14 PM   #11
Hawg

I paid 135.00 for that one last year with two holsters.

Old March 1, 2009, 12:32 PM   #12
w_houle

Oh come on, you know you want a '51
Old March 1, 2009, 12:42 PM   #13
Hawg

I almost bought a 51 when I bought my 60 but I was already set up to cast balls for the .44 and I'm not real sure I'm gonna like a .36. My next one will most likely be a 51 tho.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:02 PM   #14
Fingers McGee

Quote Chief
Quote:
Hi all, I'm looking to get a 1860's Colt Army and a 1858 Remignton.. I've been reading up alot on umberti and pietta, any experience with any of these?

Thx in advance.
I've had some, and got some of each; although I don't have Remmies anymore. Old ones and new ones. Quality of Pietta vs Uberti is about even over all. They both have their good points and not so good (wouldn't really call them bad) points. I personally like the grip profile of the Uberti's over the Piettas. I think the Pietta grips are a little too trumpet mouthed at the base * the Ubertis are more like the originals. I like the polish and blue on the Ubertis; but the Piettas have better case colors. Functionally, they generally are good out of the box and both are fairly easy to tune up.

With all that said, you can get a bad one from either manufacturer. Some are made on Friday afternoons and Monday mornings.

Like Hawg, some are probably getting tired of my pics too; but, here goes.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 2, 2009, 12:00 AM   #15
CraigC

Piettas are good guns but from my experience, Ubertis are better guns. Better internals, fit and finish. I've never seen a Uberti with the flaws my Piettas have.
Old March 2, 2009, 05:25 AM   #16
Raider2000

Have you bought a new Pietta recently, say within the past 5 years?

Pietta's have improved their quality control & is now on par or exceed Uberti.

As far as the cylinder length's go, Pietta's New Model Army cylinder is .010 longer than Uberti & Euroarms.
Old March 2, 2009, 09:32 AM   #17
Hawg

I don't see any flaws in my Pietta's
Old March 2, 2009, 12:46 PM   #18
Fingers McGee

I've got a 2004 Pietta 1861 Navy that's every bit as nice (actually better case colors) as my 2007 Uberti 1861 Navies. The Ubertis have lighter hammer springs; but the Pietta has a lighter trigger pull. Fit and finish on all of them is excellent.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 2, 2009, 11:45 PM   #19
arcticap

It sounds like Ford vs. Chevy.
What it boils down is the percentage of defective guns and the number of defects per gun from each maker which no one could ever keep track of.
As long as no one ends up getting stuck with a defective gun, then they're both pretty good.
But since the "random" odds of getting a defective one is bound to happen to someone, then the argument shifts back again to what are the chances of getting a defective gun?
Some batches and individual guns from either company are just naturally going to be better [or worse] than others.
And if neither had any defects, then it's mostly just a matter of personal preference, cost and availability.

Last edited by arcticap; March 3, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:47 AM   #20
Fingers McGee

Quote:
It sounds like Ford vs. Chevy.
Yep. It's a Ginger or Mary Ann question. Personally I prefer Mary Ann.

I've had good and not so good Ubertis and Piettas - as well as 2nd Gen Colt BPs.

FM
Old March 3, 2009, 07:13 AM   #21
mykeal

Quote:
Maybe there's hope after all...
Old March 3, 2009, 08:14 AM   #22
DrLaw

Quote:
Have you bought a new Pietta recently, say within the past 5 years?
I haven't, because of my past experience with Pietta. You saying that there are no more tool marks on the guns?

Quote:
Me, too! Yummy, yum yum!

The Doc is out now.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:20 AM   #23
Hawg

Might be some minor tool marks inside, not outside.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:51 AM   #24
madcratebuilder

Pietta installed new cnc equipment a few years back. Quality has increased a lot. I have a newer Pietta 1858 target model and a 51 Navy .44, both have very good fit and finish. My 94 Pietta made Paterson is excellent.
I have two 1860 Army's, one Belgium made Centennial three screw, and a Uberti four screw, both are nice. The Centennial is made from some very hard steel. I would like to find another.
Pretty hard to beat Cabela's price on the 1858, it going to end soon, you may want to check it out.
Old March 4, 2009, 02:11 PM   #25
Doc Hoy

Centaure

Madcratebuilder,

I believe it was "Smokin Gun" who also said the steel in the Centaure is harder.

I picked one up in the purchase of a pair of pistols from one of the locals. 200.00 for an ASM Remy in essentially new condition plus this Centaure which is now with one of our compadres in Ohio for rehab. The Centaure is a pretty early serial number so it is a bit loose.

I am anxious to get it back but I don't dare rush the guy.

Cheers,