The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 26, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Bottledestroyer22

Game Recipies, Anyone?

Does anybody have any recipies for deer meat? I'm planning to make sausage, snacksticks, and jerky.
Old September 26, 2008, 01:41 PM   #2
HiBC

This is a process that works good for me.
Bitesize pieces,like stew meat size.Not the tough cuts,but nice trimmings,or shoulder is fine.Season gently,shake in flour.
Brown in a cast iron pan.I usually use butter .

Some pink is good.Now,that works just like that.Ready to eat.

You can do something as simple as spilling some beer in the pan,and it will gravy up a bit.Nice with flat egg noodles.
Or add a little sour cream and peas and Mushrooms you do toward a stroganhoff.
I don't use recipes,I just cook.
Old September 26, 2008, 02:09 PM   #3
45Marlin carbine

wash the liver well and look for the 'bile sac' on it.
when found cut it out and tissue 1" around it.
skin the liver after you slice it 1/2" thick.
take the amount that you can use to cook and dredge in seasoned instant pancake mix/corn flour mix (50/50) - after you grill sliced onions in hot fat (Bacon grease does great for this) remove onions to warmed plate and sear liver 3 min per side. don't cook (med - hi heat) any longer or the liver will get tough.
serve up with mashed 'taters and stewed green beans. use some canned tomatos to make gravy with pan drippings if you have the patience and 'Julia Childs touch' (one of the best cooks ever lived IMO),
fried okra is also great side w/this.
your friendly Makarov shooter!
Old September 26, 2008, 02:18 PM   #4
FrontSight

I don't have recepies for dry, sorry, but any way that you cook it be sure to use plenty of onions to kill the gamey taste.

pm me if you want a good italian recipie for making it in sauce
Old September 26, 2008, 02:20 PM   #5
fisherman66

You can take almost any game, stuff it with a jalapeno filled with cream cheese, wrap everything in bacon and grill. You can even do it without any game meat whatsoever.

Chicken fried venison is my most used recipe. Make sure you use a meat hammer to tenderize and cut all connective tissue and fat off. Double dredge and quick fry. Do not over cook.
Old September 26, 2008, 03:59 PM   #6
deanadell

Blackened Venison Chops

Blackening Spice:

5 tsp Paprika
1.5 tsp Dried Thyme
1.5 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 tsp Cayenne pepper

Mix all dried spices together.

DON'T COOK THIS INDOORS unless you open all the windows and turn on all the exhaust fans

Heat a cast iron frying pan on your Gas Grill, keep the lid closed You want it to be about 400 degrees if you have a thermometer on your grill

put the spice mix on a paper plate, and dredge the Chop through it on both sides.

Put about a teaspoon of olive oil in the frying pan and put the chosp on for about 2-3 minutes per side.........
Old September 26, 2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Chuck Dye

www.fooddownunder.com is a great resource.

One of my favorites for game is

CARBONNADES A LA FLAMANDE

Flour for dredging
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 pounds boneless chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
¼ cup salad oil
6 medium onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
beer or ale
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon thyme

1. Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the meat in the seasoned flour.
2. Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion slices and garlic and cook until tender but not brown. Remove the onions from the skillet.
3. Add the meat and brown on all sides, adding a little more oil if necessary. Return the onions to the skillet.
4. Add the remaining ingredients.
5. Cover and cook over low heat until the meat is tender, about one and one-quarter hour. Serve hot with boiled potatoes, noodles, or spaetzel.

The original recipe calls for one twelve ounce beer. I have always found additional beer is needed to prevent drying. More malty and less hoppy brews seem to work best, my favorites for the dish being brown or nut brown ales and the less hoppy old ales. Lagers, especially the fizzy yellow mass market swills, just don't work for me.
Old September 26, 2008, 09:32 PM   #8
elkman06

1st g buy an american harvester jerky squirter kit at Wally World. Follow directions w/ deer/elk burger, enjoy. I dry/cook it on my grill.
2nd, Pan fry steaks w/ garlic salt, floured....tasty.
3rd Grind w/ 10percent pork fat and mix in breakfast sausage seasonings.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old September 26, 2008, 10:02 PM   #9
dabigguns357

I love this recipe for basic deer meat
1 lb deer meat
1 lb mild sausage
2 eggs
1 tablespoon Worsteshire sauce
1/2 sleeve of crackers
mix all this together and roll out meatballs

while they are frying in a pan take out your crockpot,turn on high and add these ingredients

2 bottles of heinz cocktail sause 12 ounzes each
1 cup grape jelly
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt & pepper
when jelly reduces into sause with no lumps,add meatballs and cook on high for about 30 minutes.
when they are done cooking you can cut some hogie rolls in half and add meatballs with some fresh grated provalone cheese and eat.

Who's hungry
Old September 26, 2008, 10:21 PM   #10
zahnzieh

Slow-Cooker deer roast - very simple yet delicious. One or two pound deer roast, one can Campbell's celery soup, one can Campbell mushroom soup peeled potatoes, vegetables. Thaw deer roast in fridge overnight. Place thawed meat in crock-pot (slow-cooker), empty in both cans of soup, potatoes carrots garlic or whatever you want. Add water until mix covers meat. Turn slow cooker on high, let meat stew at least4-5 hours or all day if you put cooker on low ( I just go to work in the morning) .Meat comes out real tender - makes great hot venison sandwiches. I you really want to get fancy, brown the meat before cooking in butter. Yumm
Old September 27, 2008, 12:01 AM   #11
Gbro

I like the jerky squirter kit that Elk Man posted. However if you have used it with store bought hamberger you will need to be ever so careful not to over do your Elk or Deer jerky as they are muck leaner. I destroyed a large batch a couple years back and won't let that happen again.

Swiss'ed Venison steak(steak cooked in the gravy) is a favorite of ours!
Old September 27, 2008, 01:03 AM   #12
Swampghost

I'm a meat hunter. Start with the basics, get a doe if they're legal where you hunt. If you have to take bucks, try for a head shot. Why? If a buck runs the testerone will build up depending on how long it lives and it will get 'gamier' by the minute. Neither pic is 'cool' but we're talking about eating here, not wallhangers.

A regular pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions and seasonings works well as does a marinade and smoking until the meat is just barely pink. We also like it curried with rice and carrots.

Most lamb recipies work just as well for venison.
Old September 29, 2008, 11:19 PM   #13
FrontSight

Italian Recipe - Carne ala Pizzaiulo (Meat ala Pizzaman)

This is my mamma's own recipe, who grew up in Naples, Italy, and cooks this for me all the time when I am too busy to cook it myself.

Ingredients:

- 1 small or large can (depends on how much you want to make; one can is good for 1 - 2 people; large is for 3 - 4) of italian tomatoes. Please be sure it says "Product of Italy", as the american variety are not even 1/100th as good; this is the most important ingredient, and I can't stress it enough. Even if you mess up the rest of the recipe, this will make it taste pretty good. If it's not from Italy, nothing else you do can make it taste as good as it should. If you can find one from the San Marzano region, even better!

- Enough venison steak (elk is even better!) to fill the bottom of the pan you will use when the amount of tomato sauce is about an inch thick. I find that one steak, 1/2 inch thick, and about 9 inches long by 5 inches wide is good for one to 2 people, and that works well with one small can of tomatoes. Double that for 3 - 4 people and use a large can of tomatoes instead. Fat and connective tissue is not a bad thing to leave on, as it will greatly improve the taste of the sauce (but not your cholesterol level, so you need to decide how much fat you can "live" with).

- Vegetable oil (hard to explain how much, as I have never measured exact; I kind of eyeball it; will explain later).

- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, sliced into 4 pieces each (double if using a large can of tomatoes), or garlic powder instead (fresh cloves is better, of course)

- one leaf of fresh basil

- salt, black pepper, dry crushed red pepper, and grated romano cheese, all to taste.

Here's what you do:

1) Take the can of tomatoes, and either put them thru a strainer (the one with the handle and the strainer that turns around & around to crush the tomatoes as well as grind the seeds into liquid), OR you can put it in a blender, till it is completely liquefied, OR you can just leave as is, and crush the tomatoes by hand as they cook.

2) Put the tomatoes (after deciding on & doing step one) into a large enough pan where the sauce will be about 1/2 inch thick, and yet still leave plenty of room at the top to add the meat. After adding the meat later, the sauce will be 1 inch thick or so.

3) Add salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper to taste (I like plenty of salt & black pepper, and just enough crushed red pepper to give it a hint of a kick, but nowhere near what you would call "spicy".

4) Add plenty of oregano (good rule of thumb is to cover the entire top in about 1 layer thick of flakes).

5) Add enough vegetable oil so that about 1/16th to 1/12th of an inch is floating on top of the pan. This is easier to tell, of course, if you have strained / blended the tomatoes so that it is all a liquid, rather than having a bunch of whole tomatoes in the pan. But you get the idea. Again, good for taste, not good for cholesterol.

6) Add a little bit of water and stir it all to make it all more liquidy.

7) Cover and bring to a medium boil, and stir every couple of minutes or so to keep the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan. BE SURE TO ADD WATER AS IT BOILS OFF, SO THAT YOU KEEP IT FROM DRYING OUT. (Less is needed if covered, more if left uncovered, since more will evaporate away). If you did not strain / blend the tomatoes, then crush them as they cook & soften.

8) While the sauce boils in step 7, cut the meat into squares about 1 inch x 1 inch.

9) Once the sauce has been boiling for 20 minutes (not 20 minutes since you placed it in the pan, but actually boiling for 20 minutes), the tomato juice will begin to resemble tomato sauce more & more. At this 20 minute mark, add the meat to the sauce & cover again. You may need to raise the flame since the meat will have cooled off the sauce a lot; lower the flame once it is boiling again.

10) Continue to boil for another 20 - 25 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes and adding water if needed as you go. Don't worry about the browning of the color from the meat juices; this is a good thing.

11) At this 20 - 25 minute point (about 45 - 50 minutes since you first began), it should really begin to resemble tomato sauce, and the aroma should be intoxicating. A pretty thick layer of oil should be present as well. Taste it to see if you need to add anything, such as more grated cheese, salt, pepper, oregano, etc. Remove the cover and let the excess water boil off, if any, or add if needed; you should make the consistency to your liking. I personally like it not too thick, not to watery.

12) At the very last moment, add the fresh basil leaf and boil & stir it for one additional minute.

Serve & enjoy! Oh, and a chunk of Italian Bread dipped in the sauce "is so good that it will make your tongue come out & slap you in the back of your neck."

Please let me know if anyone ever tries it, and if so then how you liked it....
Old September 30, 2008, 08:31 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you have access to buy a young farm hog, Take it and the deer to a processor and have them belnd the meat from a hundred pound pig 'tween 3 big deer and it will be so much easier to keep it moist.
Brent
Old October 3, 2008, 03:16 AM   #15
HiBC

When I make jerky I use round(hindquarter).I put the top down on the counter and use a long ,thin,sharp knife to slice horizontal following the countertop.Its a bit like filleting fish.You should get a nice 1/4 in thick roundsteak.
I then use morton tender quick curing salt.Weigh the meat amd spread it out flat.Follow the curing instructions on the bag for amount.You can use a little less,but not more.Sprinkle evenly with a shaker
Use your discretion,a bit of seasoning at this point is OK.Put it in a tub in the refrigerator a couple days.
The meat will cure,a bit like corned beef.Place it in the trusty brinkman smoker and cool,dry smoke it a few hours,till it at least starts to get a bit leathry.Then pull it off and finish drying in a food dehydrator.

Dried chipotle peppres,powdered in a coffee grinder makes a pretty good "dusting" (Cuidado,the coffee can be a bit spicy if you forget)
Old October 4, 2008, 12:28 AM   #16
T. O'Heir

Cut out the steaks, chops and roasts before you even think about sausages and jerky. Sausages and jerky are made with lesser cuts and you'll hate yourself if you turn the whole carcass into them. Venison is sweet meat. It's not gamey if it's not properly cared for in the field.
There are all kinds of on-line sites with recipes for venison.
Old October 4, 2008, 07:05 AM   #17
fisherman66

Quote:
Sausages and jerky are made with lesser cuts and you'll hate yourself if you turn the whole carcass into them.
That drives me nuts. Backstrap=steaks Tenders=bacon wrapped K-bobs Hinds=Chicken fry Shoulders=chicken fry and diced stew type meat in the larger muscles with what's left going to the grinder (after a very careful and thorough cleaning for fat and sinew). I mix my ground with fresh fat for deer burgers that will make you slap mama. Everything is a very quick cook due to the nature of drying the meat out.
Old October 4, 2008, 08:05 AM   #18
simonkenton

This makes the best venison steaks I ever had.
Buy this stuff at the store called Oven Fry, pork flavored.
It is a breading that you put on steaks. You cook in the oven, but they taste fried.
So bread your venison steaks in Oven Fry.
Then, cut a strip of raw bacon in half, and put the two halves on top of the steak.
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Very easy to do and you won't believe how good it is.
Old October 13, 2008, 07:51 PM   #19
LateNightFlight

My frequent flyer recipe is quick, simple, delicious. ('Frequent Flyer' because I make this all the time.)

Wash and cut up some mushrooms and just get them headed towards brown in butter. Push them into a pile and off to the side.

Throw your steaks in and give them a generous sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. I leave a 1" thick steak on for about 5 minutes for each side, just enough to scorch them dark brown. (The center might be just a tad pink when done.)

Put em on the plate and pour the mushrooms over them... I like a slice of mushroom in every bite.

I cut my steaks from the back straps and hams and grind everything else. I make the meatiest spaghetti sauce in the world. Of course, I use the ground venison for everything you might ever use ground beef for and I don't add pork fat.
Old October 16, 2008, 12:23 PM   #20
kplender

A similar version of Fisherman66's recipe

Cut the Venison (or Elk, or whatever) into bite size chunks. Buy a can/jar of sliced Jalapenos at the grocery store (they should be about bite size). Cut a white onion into bite size pieces as well. Take the meat, the Jalapeno slice, and the onion slice, and roll them together into a half piece of bacon (this should be enough bacon to wrap completely around the meat/jalapeno/onion), and should overlap just a bit. Take that and put it on a skewer that you would use for Shishkabobs (I have metal skewers that are about a foot long). Then place on your BBQ grill. Keep an eye on them, that bacon grease wants to make the flame flare up and scorch them. These are the most awesome appetizers (heck, I eat them as a meal they are so good) I have ever had. I have served them at parties to people that would never eat wild game, and they absolutely love them (hey anything wrapped in bacon has to be good, right?). They are even better the next morning heated up in the microwave for breakfast. Dang, now I am going to have to make some this weekend. Trust me, these are awesome!!!!!!
Old October 28, 2008, 03:28 PM   #21
dabigguns357

I know this may sound silly but can we keep this Thread going,i have been writing all the recipes down and would like to hear more or even some on rabbit,sqirrel,dove,quail or anything else that comes across the scope.
Old October 28, 2008, 04:48 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Easier than pie

Equal amounts of A1 suace and italian dressing with a shot of liquid smoke. Marinate meat for 24-48 hours.

Makes excellent sausage, jerky, or just BBQ. Awesome for chicken, venison or beef, probably many others.
Old October 28, 2008, 07:09 PM   #23
kingudaroad

venison steaks with wine sauce

Take venison backstrap and remove all fat and silverskin. There should be nothing left but nice red meat with no white whatsoever. That silverskin and fat are what makes it taste gamey, not the meat itself.

Slice into 1" medallions and then pound them gently to about 1/2"

Marinate for a couple of hours in salad dressing or marinade of your liking.

Season steaks with salt and pepper with a light dusting of flour.

Fry in a heavy skillet with olive oil on medium high just until brown , about 2 minutes per side. DO NOT OVERCOOK!!

Put in preheated oven on its lowest setting to keep warm.

Put about a half of a chopped onion and a couple of chopped cloves of garlic into the pan you cooked the steaks in and on medium heat until soft and translucent.

Pour about a half cup of good dark red wine or port into hot pan and scrape all the stuff off the bottom with a wooden spoon.

Simmer for about 5 minutes until reduced by half.

Add 1 cup of good chicken stock and simmer untl desired thickness.( You could add a little corn starch dissolved in water to thicken it up faster if you like).

Spoon sauce over steaks and enjoy.

Keith
Old October 28, 2008, 07:12 PM   #24
Rembrandt

Bacon wrapped backstrap steaks....

- Slice backstrap into 1 1/2" thick steaks.
- Wrap with thick cut bacon, secure with bamboo skewer.
- Marinate overnight with Wishbone Italian salad dressing.
- Pan sear both sides of steaks in olive oil.
- Finish cooking on the grill, low heat for about 20 minutes.
Old October 28, 2008, 07:21 PM   #25
crowbeaner

We take the backstraps out whole. Cut into two pieces and slice them in half long ways. Take Pepperidge Farms herb stuffing and make it up in a bowl. Layer the backstrap in a deep sided baking dish and stuff with stuffing. Spike closed with bamboo skewers and add the unused stuffing on top. Cover with aluminum foil and cook at 325 degrees for two hours to make sure the venison is done. Eat until stomach aches. Ask for seconds.