The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Sketch82

Help Me Choose a 12 Gauge

Looking to get a 12 for the upcomming hunting season. Looking for a semi-auto that would work for ducks, geese, pheasant, and turkey. Throw me some suggestions, keep it less than $1500 though. Also, should i go with the camo or traditional wood? Not really looking at the black synthetics. Thanks in advance.
Old June 7, 2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Go try some out before laying out any money.Very good semis out there include the 1100, Winchester's X2 and 3 and their sibling the Browning Gold, and the last couple Berettas. All of these are flexible, reliable and effective.

I like traditional wood, but YMMV.
Old June 7, 2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Ruger4570

+1 with Dave McC
Old June 7, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4
ddelange

Why a semi-auto? If you haven't already, try an over-under. If you can't hit that duck with two quickly aimed shots, I don't think a semi-auto is going to help, especially considering the additional recoil, but that's just my opinion.
For the money, my Ruger Red Label 12ga over-under has delivered excellent patterns and great trigger response when switching from upper barrel to lower. The Red Label is also a great field gun that you won't get upset when it gets wet, scratched up, and worked alot. You can pick one up for around $900. Again, try as many as you can before buying.
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill
Old June 8, 2006, 08:49 AM   #5
maas

i have a browning gold 3 1/2", so ill tell you my thoughts on it. i bought the gun in 2000 and since then ive never had it jam or fail mechanicly. the kick dosn't change no matter if it's 2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2". also the other thing ive noticed over some of my buddies shotguns is that it will eject all three loads with out a piston change.(they were both cheeper autos the only name i can remember is ones a franchi.) the cons are it seems longer than others. mine has a 30" barrel and its 52" overall. also i've herd that they like to be clean. i allways clean all my guns as soon as im done hunting, and havnt had any problems.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old June 8, 2006, 10:04 AM   #6
BLKLABMAN

I would suggest the Beretta Xtrema II. It has replaced my SBE and SBE II as my duck/goose/turkey shotgun.
After using them for several seasons, I will not be missing the SBE's. The Comfortech of the SBE II does nothing to help recoil, and recoils the same as SBE 1 for extra money. The recoil spring in the stock attracts all sorts of junk. The recoil spring is also a pain to get to and clean. Any shells below 1 1/8 are a big no no. The SBE(SBE II) will not cycle them.
About the Xtrema II.
The Beretta designers need a pay raise, for putting the recoil spring in the forearm.
Recoil even with heavy thumping 3.5 1550 BB's feels like a 20ga. It also cycles everything I put thru it, no matter how light the load. Want to shot a round of SC or FITASC. The Xtrema II will cycle the 1oz and 7/8 loads flawlessly.
Beretta has a winner with the Xtrema II.

Last edited by BLKLABMAN; June 8, 2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old June 8, 2006, 10:31 AM   #7
mathman

I wouldn't get an OU for waterfowl...no need to bang up a nice gun. Also, the 3 1/2 inch chamber is totally unnecessary with today's ammunition.

All of the autos mentioned are nice...I'm not sure why no one mentioned the benelli...I would consider it as well as the others.

For hunting, I give Benelli the nod because it is the simplest design...easy to clean (and doesn't require as much cleaning). The recoil on the Benelli is more than any of the others, but when hunting, I've never even noticed it.
Old June 8, 2006, 08:48 PM   #8
orbea_pro

You might consider looking into the Remington SPR453. Its one of the Baikal models that Remington is importing from Russia. If you have a decent internet connection check out this video some guys made of a field test. Even made me cringe, but the gun never failed.

http://www.svmag.com/test_baikal.wmv
Old June 10, 2006, 01:34 AM   #9
scotts_4x

"I wouldn't get an OU for waterfowl...no need to bang up a nice gun."

this is why the RRL was recomended, it's not a very good/nice gun. a knockaroud loaner gun at best. have you handled one of these things? I have handled several, and everytime I push the lever over and crack them open it feels like the barrels are going to fall off. these things are sloppy, plain and simple.

-Scott
Old June 15, 2006, 11:24 PM   #10
Bigfatts

CZ! Their semi autos have some of the smoothest actions I've seen in a shotgun. As soon as I'm financially stable again, I will be adding one to my collection.