The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Whiskey Sowers

heirloom question....

I recently inherited an old double barrel from my father-in-law. I have been researching it on the web and hit dead end after dead end. The markings on it say "springfield" which i have discovered it was made from 1919 to 1948, and "J. Stevens Arms Company,Chicopee Falls, MA,USA" , which is the old savage co. On top it says "16 gauge". I want to know the model, year of manufacture, etc....The only other markings on the gun are a small "8" in a circle on the very bottom of the gun where the barrels hinge and "A3275" on the bottom of the left barrel when the gun is hinged open. There is an identical "A2375" directly underneath the one stamped on the barrel stamped into the metal there. The "A2375"'s touch together when the gun is closed into firing position. There are no other markings on the shotgun. Any help or idea's? It looks similar to an old steven's 311, but still a little different. It also has 26" barrels. I give up.
Old July 14, 2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Stevens and Savage, made lots of models. Many differed only slightly from the 311.

I hope you're not selling your heirloom. The couple hundred you can get at best is not nearly enough.

As with ALL old shotguns made before WWII, a trip to the smith is in order. The smith can determine if it's safe to fire. He/she can also tell if the chambers are long enough for modern ammo. Many old 16s are chambered for a 2 9/16" shell and modern ammo can boost pressures past the redline.

Check it out, clean it up, and if possible go shoot it. Your Grandad will approve....
Old July 14, 2008, 10:12 AM   #3
johnbt

Off the top of my head, the Springfield model numbers I can think of are 5100, 530 and 511, but all of my books are at home.

John
Old July 27, 2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Whiskey Sowers

anyone?....I want to be able to tell my son the year and model of his "new shotgun" when i hand it down to him. Any help would be very appreciated....you have no idea how important this is to me....thanks guys
Old July 27, 2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Hawg

You can't specifically date a pre 311 to my knowledge. The 5100 is a forerunner of the 311 but it should have 5100 on the right side of the receiver towards the bottom. At least mine does. Stevens isn't the old Savage co. Savage bought out Stevens.