The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2006, 08:15 PM   #1
stillborn

took my first deer

Well I was fortunate enough to go hunting the day after thanksgiving this year. And unlike last time I actualy got one! After about two hours of sitting in a blind and not seeing anything but a squirrel a medium sized doe came out of the brush. Well.... she shouldn't of been there. One shot with my .30-30 and I have a freezer full of deer. The shot was about 50 to 60 yards and she ran about 40 yards. There was a nice exit hole that I could easily fit 3 fingers into. I was using the 170gr Rem CoreLokts. Ill try and post some pics.

still
Old November 26, 2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Picher

Congratulations! You'll get more deer in the future, but the first one will always be special.

Picher
Old November 26, 2006, 08:31 PM   #3
stillborn

Thanks man. You have a good recipie for a venison roast? Actually... you guys post your good recipies because I can't wait to cook this bad boy!

thanks,

still
Old November 26, 2006, 08:32 PM   #4
rem33

Congrats, no matter how many in the furure you will never forget this one. It will always be special.
We do steaks and hamburger with deer but not roasts. I am no chef but remember deer is rather dry. I have known of folks that would add small plugs of fat to venison roasts.
Old November 26, 2006, 08:35 PM   #5
Rustic

Way to go!

You may get more and bigger deer, but your first will always be a special memory. I'm still learning from each one I shoot, after 30+ seasons. And the only way to fail is to stay home instead of getting out there and observing and enjoying the time alone and with your hunting buddies.

There are lots of recipes on the web. Cubed liver dredged in flour and sauteed. Yum! Teriyaki backstrap butterflies, double yum! Take it apart, wrap it well and you'll have deer for a year.
Old November 26, 2006, 09:50 PM   #6
TPAW

Question..........Do you guys find many deer tics on the animal when gutting it? Have any of you gotten tics on you while gutting a deer? Just curious!
Old November 26, 2006, 10:33 PM   #7
stillborn

I didn't get my deer till almost 6pm... It seemed that right after I shot her, it turned dark. So we were gutting it at night... didn't see anything.

still
Old November 26, 2006, 10:49 PM   #8
buckster

Alrighty now!

You gotter done. May there be many more. Wild game is very beneficial for your health. No junk, all natural. net rifle.com has a recipe section called "you killed it now you have to cook it". Hope that helps. Give thanks to the one who provided it.
Old November 27, 2006, 12:23 AM   #9
harleybabe69

Cooking a roast

Lipton onion soup mix - combine it with about a 1 1/2 water - cook in oven on low heat so it doesn't dry out - about 300 for a couple of hours, cut up some potatoes and carrots about half way through - throw them in the cooker with the roast - ladel the juices over the meat about every 20-30 minutes

Thats how I cook my roasts anyways

Hope this helps a little
Old November 27, 2006, 09:07 AM   #10
FirstFreedom

Outstanding! Congrats. That first one is a big rush indeed.....mmmm, backstrap.....
Old November 27, 2006, 11:34 AM   #11
castnblast

My favorite recipies...

First, don't over cook it...Cook your venison like you cook your steak when grilling.

BAMBI K-BOBS
1-2lbs bambi steaks - any cut (make enough marinade to completely cover your meat...just keep proportions approx. the same)

Marinade: 1/4 cup each of the following: soy sauce, water, olive oil, cooking sherry.
1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove fresh garlic...)
1 tsp cayanne pepper
1 tsp ground ginger (or 1 clove of garlic size fresh crushed ginger)
2tbs brown sugar
1 tbs black pepper.

Place marinade in blender and imulsify. Pour over steaks cut to about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate.

Cube enough bell peppers and onions to your liking. Par boil vegtables and mushroom...this means bring water in pan to boiling throw the vegtables in the pot for 15-20 seconds and immediately strain. Add vegetables to marinade w/ meat. Allow to marinade about 1 hour.

Skewer veggies and steak chunks, and grill over open flame to your liking. Par boiling the vegetables gets them done at the same time your meat is done, and keeps them from burning.

Enjoy!

Chicken fried venison - for tougher cuts...

Chicken fry venision as you would normal chicken fried steak, browning and then set aside in corning or other oven baking dish.

Make gravy w/ drippings, but make it significantly more liquidy than normal. Cover steaks w/ gravy mixture and bake covered in oven for 1 hour @ 375.

Serve w/ mashed potatos and gravy, & veggie of choice. Have plenty of napkins ready! This makes even the toughest cut tender!
Old November 27, 2006, 04:17 PM   #12
stillborn

Sounds like some good stuff! I am trying out a crockpot recipie I found last night. So far I cut up the venison into serving sized pieces, poured in the Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, minced garlic, can of Cream of Mushroom soup, and a Lipton Onion soup mix. Now I have a few more hours to go before I can do a taste test.... but it smells pretty good. Ill let yall know how it turns out.

still
Old November 27, 2006, 10:20 PM   #13
stillborn

Well that recipie I tried was pretty sweet. Even the girls liked it. That one is a keeper. Ill have to try the chicken fried venison next time.

still
Old November 28, 2006, 11:12 AM   #14
castnblast

Follow that recipe for the k-bobs. I have served it to unsuspecting guest med. rare, and they never knew they were eating bambi!