The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 17, 2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Chowder

First AR build

Well I have finally decided to build an AR-15. I have been wanting one for a while but could not find exactly what I wanted for the price I wanted so building my own became the obvious choice. I am starting off with a Black Rain Ordinance billet lower receiver, CMMG lower parts kit, and a VLTOR butt stock. My local FFL that I got this from didn't have the buffer tubes in stock but when they do I will pick it up to complete the lower.

I am still not exactly sure what I am going to go with for an upper or if I will buy the tools to build that also but it will most likely be some variation of a 16" flat top.

I ordered the tools I will need to put the lower together from midway today so hopefully this week I will have it assembled. Looking through the evil black rifle picture thread a couple times motivated me to get this project going so I owe it to all you guys that already build awesome AR's to post my build as it progresses .
Old December 17, 2012, 09:32 AM   #2
1DrnkMxR

Nice, keep us updated on your build with lots of pictures
Old December 17, 2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Chowder

Oh I sure will haha. I am just waiting for my tools from midway to ship... I feel like a kid waiting for a new toy.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Rjeezie

Was thinking about starting a build too. What tools did you order from Midway?
Old December 18, 2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Chowder

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363...-7-piece-steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/694...-2-piece-steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154...mil-spec-steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/259...-plastic-black

This is what I ordered so far, Deciding on what to do with the upper before I get more tools.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Apom

Actually..Im about to start my first AR build.. and screw the tools. I'm buying as many mags, lowers, uppers, etc I can. No one is going to ban tools.
Old December 19, 2012, 01:06 AM   #7
Chowder

Quote:
Actually..Im about to start my first AR build.. and screw the tools. I'm buying as many mags, lowers, uppers, etc I can. No one is going to ban tools.
Too each there own, but I can't build my AR without the tools haha. I also ordered some 20 round Brownells mags today and a 5 round mag as this will most likely be used for hunting. This will most likely be my only AR since I tend to like more traditional style rifles more. But one reason I sped up my build a bit was I am sure the prices will go up. When I go to pick up my upper pieces I will probably pick up some Pmags while they have some in stock though.

Also, since it seems most people only mention bad encounters with customer service I want to let everyone know how good of an experience I am having at Alaska Tactical so far. Other than shooting an M16 3 times in my career I do not know much about AR-15s. I forget her name but the woman I dealt with when I was trying to figure out how I wanted to go about my build was very knowledgeable and just a pleasant person to deal with.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Chowder

Well my local gun shop that specializes in AR-15's is pretty much picked clean. I picked up there last BCM chargin handle and DPMS buffer tube today so my lower is ready to go together once i get my tools. Because things are flying off the shelf so fast I am thinking of ordering a RRA 16" varmint or predator pursuit with the bead blasted barrel and low profile gas block. Anyone have experience with either of these?
Old December 19, 2012, 10:03 PM   #9
sailskidrive

I would move fast, or you'll still be waiting for your upper in June.

I have a Black Rain lower, I would highly recommend matching yours up to one of their upper receivers. Actually, their 3R barrels are really accurate, here is a pic of a build I did with one of there lowers, upper, and barrel. The rail is a Daniel Defense Omega rail; I'm not that pleased with the rail.

Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old December 19, 2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Chowder

Very nice AR! I just found a place that had the black rain uppers in stock and ordered it... then 5 minutes later got the back order e-mail, BLAH! I don't mind waiting a bit, but would not have paid for 2 day air to Alaska if I knew I was going to wait anyway lol. If i can actually get one or don't have to wait forever for the one I just order I would love to match the upper and lower. I don't have a lot of experience with AR's but used to build cars with a lot of billet parts and the black rain receiver looks to be great quality.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:47 PM   #11
bigghoss

I used my tax return back in Feb to do my first build.

Easier than I thought. I still have another stripped lower to build and I might upgrade the DPMS I have. Need to sink some money into my trucks first and focus on my getting my credit card paid down before I go getting too crazy on all that though.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:56 PM   #12
Chowder

Quote:
I used my tax return back in Feb to do my first build.
Was going to start my build with THIS years coming tax return lol but started a bit early. Good thing i got a few of my key parts before people went crazy. Just ordered my black rain upper. Next i need to make a list of remaining parts i need so I don't miss anything. Seems easy to put together but ordering all this stuff from different places is hard to keep track lol.

EDIT: That's a nice clean looking AR you have, I'm not a huge fan of quad rails and extra stuff. If someone has a use for all the extra stuff by all means... I just like a basic slick looking rifle.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Chowder

Well I got my tools from midway and started assembling. I is going vastly easier than I originally thought. I only ran into one problem, I launched the pivot pin detent across the garage most likely never to be seen again.

Here is an update pic from my ancient phone.

Hopefully I can find that tiny piece but looks like I am going to have to acquire a new one.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:59 AM   #14
bigghoss

Quote:
EDIT: That's a nice clean looking AR you have, I'm not a huge fan of quad rails and extra stuff. If someone has a use for all the extra stuff by all means... I just like a basic slick looking rifle
Thanks but it's not done. I was thinking of a good quad rail but now I'm leaning towards a magpul MOE handguard with a vert grip and a light mount and then ditch the carry handle and get a BUIS and a good red dot. A slick rifle is nice but some of that stuff can be useful.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Chowder

Well this is not new news to anyone but my lower is built and my black rain upper and BCM bolt carrier is on back order. I know I just need to be patient and put my orders in early so I can get them as they are made. I am still trying to figure out what barrel I want to go with. I was looking at black rain barrels and they look nice but I think I want something in a bead blasted stainless heavy barrel. Cant decide if I want a compensator or a plain barrel.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:17 PM   #16
Chowder

Also, sailskidrive I like the fluting on your barrel what length is it? and what optics are you running?
Old March 1, 2013, 03:25 AM   #17
Chowder

Finally ALL my remaining parts for this build are in the mail and are about one week away! my black rain upper, Wilson combat stainless 16" match barrel, JP modular hand guard and Wilson gas block with gas tube. Hopefully I am about 2 weeks from finally assembling all this and showing off the finale product all your info helped me build.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:26 PM   #18
Achilles11B

Sounds like you did your research on the parts, nicely done. What are you doing for sights/optics?
Old March 3, 2013, 09:32 PM   #19
RonR6

Congratulations on starting your first build, keep us all updated with many pictures.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:13 PM   #20
Chowder

When I get it built I am going with a Leupold VX-III 2-7 I already have until I figure out exactly what I want. This will mainly be a target/hunting rifle hopefully so I want some type of magnified optic.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:50 AM   #21
jeffreyulatan

Good build, I'd suggest going with a full length rail like YHM Diamond, a Spike Tactical SBR Fake Can, or a Real one if you can afford it. I call it the MOD4SB

Would also be nice if you can get a custom lower. I have my lowers made by tacticalmachining, and since I'm a 07 FFL holder I can have it manufactured with my name and logos and my own designs. I also find my customers like it when there's a full auto icon engraved seems to up the price a bit.

Old March 5, 2013, 04:30 AM   #22
Chowder

Quote:
Would also be nice if you can get a custom lower. I have my lowers made by tacticalmachining, and since I'm a 07 FFL holder I can have it manufactured with my name and logos and my own designs. I also find my customers like it when there's a full auto icon engraved seems to up the price a bit.
I already built my lower. It is a black rain reciever with CMMG parts kit. I polished up the contact points and got rid of a little bit of the creep then installed a JP lower powered spring. I just got my trigger scale in the mail so I will have to see how I did with it. The rest of the lower is VLTOR colapsable stock, noveske end plate and JP tuned action spring.

I did cancel my order on the JP modular rail because there was no delivery in sight. I picked up a Troy free float 11" with only the top rail. It seem comfortable and came with the screw on rails like the JP. I am not sure how the weight of these parts compare to others but I am hoping to be right around 8 pounds or less with optics when done.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:19 AM   #23
Skans

I too am working on an AR build right now. Parts I still need are: buffer tube assembly, bolt, dust cover and some iron sights. I was lucky to have a Colt 20" 1/7 Nato barrel a bolt carrier and a few other parts lying around, so I built it around the barrel.

I but punches at Harbor Freight - they have worked fine. I did (over-pay) for a good AR's armorer tool; I can't see doing a built without one.

What bugs me is that I had a spare buffer tube laying around, but I can't find it anywhere. You can find they pretty cheap, but if you want a mil spec made out of 7075, those are ridiculously priced right now.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:24 AM   #24
Achilles11B

Chowder, was it the VTAC Alpha rail by chance? I have one on my 16" AR, love it. Adding rails only where you need them keeps the weight down and makes the rifle more comfortable to handle.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Chowder

It is the VTAC alpha. I really wanted the JP with zero rails but just the rail on top is no big deal. My biggest gripe with quad rails is weight and they are uncomfortable. But this VTAC will allow me to customize to my moods which will be nice. I cant wait though the rest of my parts will be here friday . Then I jut need to find a free afternoon to put it all together.