The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 3, 2016, 11:16 AM   #1
BarryLee

Bass Pro, Cabela's & Firearms

So, Bass Pro is acquiring Cabela’s how might this impact the prices and/or availability of firearms, ammunition, reloading supplies and general firearm accessories at either store? We have a Bass Pro close by and I’ve never purchased a gun there, but have purchased some of the other aforementioned items. Is Cabela’s better on price than Bass Pro? If so might that change? Would you expect to see some stores closing down the road?

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/03/bass-...e-in-cash.html
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 3, 2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

I expect the new entity to be mainly MSRP on guns, as they are now.
Old October 3, 2016, 11:32 AM   #3
rickyrick

I suspect shrinkage of massive sporting goods stores like these. Many smaller stores are closed now.

Customers of those types of stores are the type of folks who's outdoorish behavior it the very type of behavior progressives want to reduce.

And the natural attrition of hunters and outdoors personnel. Probably have seen the crest of the hunting wave.
Old October 3, 2016, 11:32 AM   #4
g.willikers

Contact with Cabelas is only through their web site, since there aren't any around here.
There is a Bass Pro shop and their prices are quite a bit higher on most things.
Their inventory is different, too.
Don't see a chocolate and fudge section at Cabelas.
The world is getting just too homogenized.

Corporations have to satisfy their investors.
Sporting goods is no exception.
A large sports store here slowly abandoned their fishing, hunting and shooting sections in favor of sports clothes, tennis, golf, bicycles, and exercise equipment.
They just closed up shop last month.

Last edited by g.willikers; October 3, 2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old October 3, 2016, 11:51 AM   #5
BarryLee

Quote:
Customers of those types of stores are the type of folks who's outdoorish behavior it the very type of behavior progressives want to reduce.

And the natural attrition of hunters and outdoors personnel. Probably have seen the crest of the hunting wave.
Yes, I understand that Cabela’s was under pressure financially, but has the demand decreased are only shifted to on-line retailers. Remember when Borders helped put the local book store out of business and now they are closed. Did people stop reading? Well, maybe to some extent, but mostly they discovered Amazon.

There is a Gander Mountain near me and I enjoy going in and handling things before I buy. So, even if it’s a few dollars more I like the ability to go pick up an item in a few minutes instead of waiting a few days/weeks for an on-line order. Now, obviously if the savings are significant I go on-line, but most of my internet orders are simply because the item is not available locally.

Like other industries a lot of closures and mergers in the shooting sports is ultimately probably not good for the consumer.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 3, 2016, 12:01 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

They're likely to consolidate in markets where they previously competed.
And, if Bass Pro wants to show their investors that they're determined to maximize profit, they may quickly shut down "under-performing" stores (Cabela's locations, in particular).

Otherwise, I'd expect to see the same ridiculous prices on everything - possibly worse.

The only sporting goods store chain that I've been in that's universally even more expensive than Bass Pro and Cabela's is Gander Mountain.
So if you're okay with paying the insane markup that GM puts on their products, just to satisfy your own impulsive desires; then you won't have a problem with whatever happens to BP and Cabela's pricing.
Old October 3, 2016, 12:05 PM   #7
surveyor

Last thing I got from cabelas, and ordered it from the atlanta store was a savage lady hunter in 22 lr.

Apparently it was a run that was a cabelas exclusive with savage.

That was the closest store to me.

There is a bass pro outpost here but since they won't carry any reloading supplies, I go to academy instead.
Old October 3, 2016, 12:20 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

We have Academy's all over and they just opened new ones.

I never understood folks who went to Bass Pro and spent a significant amount more money for a gun than at a store that was one exit or two down the road.

I could see folks not wanting to go the gun show or Internet but just down the street? You would save $30-50 on a standard semi pistol or quality revolver.
Old October 3, 2016, 12:22 PM   #9
rickyrick

Cabelas and Bass pro were placed I stopped on road trips to see if they had stuff that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Fun to touch stuff though.

I liked academy the best, but don't live near one anymore.

I liked the selection at sportmans warehouse but the prices aren't the lowest.

I think cabelas and bass pro are probably to big to manage cheaply. The fish tanks and all that are unnecessary maintenance costs.
Old October 3, 2016, 12:24 PM   #10
RolandD

Bass Pro is a private corporation. CEO Johnny Morris is the majority shareholder and he does whatever he wants with his properties.
Old October 3, 2016, 12:30 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Wonder if they will have fried fish friday to close the tanks.

We don't have Sportsman's Warehouse around here. Ours closed. They were a weird store. I went there once and the clerk (who looked like a Deliverance dude) was having a fit about his daughter. She put up an Obama sign on her lawn. He was going to leave her his 'ranch' but disowned her. Like I care when I just want to look at some guns.
Old October 3, 2016, 12:56 PM   #12
NINEX19

Quote:
There is a bass pro outpost here but since they won't carry any reloading supplies, I go to academy instead.
Bass Pro does not carry reloading supplies? Most of my supplies have to come from Cabela's near me as that is the only place within 75 miles that carry any reloading supplies or at least powder. I guess I will be confined to paying online prices with hazmat fees now.

As much as Cabela's gets a bad rap for their firearm prices, I have gotten many a good deal over the years. I have picked up a few gems in their gun library that were way under priced. When you combine their sales with a coupon and use club points, you can walk away with many items (guns included) free or close to free.

Yes, they are expensive on items when you broad brush the whole store, but there are good buys to be had and the quality (I have found) is usually top notch.
I have also had very good customer service (gun counter/gun library) from their sales people.

You may think this is only attributable to my local store, but have seen the same thing from multiple Cabela's I have been to. I have zero experience with Bass Pro (none within a 3 hour drive) and Academy (none in the state).
Old October 3, 2016, 01:11 PM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, that's disappointing. I've always found Cabela's to be more shooter-friendly and to carry more of the products I am interested in. Short of that deal of 5.56mm Winchester for $140/case many years back, I haven't spent a lot of money at Bass Pro (though I've sure tried since Bass Pro was the only game in town for awhile).

Wish that merger was going the other way; but at least they didn't get bought out by Dick's or Academy.
Old October 3, 2016, 01:54 PM   #14
Bart Noir

I sure do hope that the Cabela's (whatever name they will have in the future) still will be selling used guns. The Gun Library was mentioned above, and they also have used guns outside that room on other racks and shelves.

It has been 15 years since I went to a Bass Pro (Oklahoma City) but the experience with firearms was such that I have never even been into the one that opened less any an hours drive from me. That is the one just off I-5 in Tacoma WA.

Bart Noir
Old October 3, 2016, 01:56 PM   #15
surveyor

Operative word here is "Outpost"

Since it is a smaller store, I was told that they can't dedicate space to reloading supplies
Like they could in a full size store.

I got tired of asking after a year.

Academy near me does not have a large supply,
But since they have primers, about 6 kinds of hodgdon powders and hornady bullets,
And some presses,and a few other things, I'll buy some things there.

In the town I am in there is only 3 places to buy reloading supplies..
Old October 3, 2016, 02:41 PM   #16
SamNavy

Bass Pro up the road that I hit up when I'm in the area... very rarely buy anything. Guns at MSRP and $20 Uncle Si cups.

They usually have a ton powder and primers in stock at a premium... average prices on bullets. I would never buy a gun there, they don't even pretend to be competitive when it comes to firearm pricing.

A new Field and Stream/Dicks just opened up a lot closer and with better pricing on guns, along with a decent reloading section as long as it's not a crazy caliber some specialty item, plenty of ammo and accessories. Overall better size and selection than an Academy.

Here in VA we have VAGUNTRADER.com where about half of my firearms dollars go.
Old October 3, 2016, 03:07 PM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
I expect the new entity to be mainly MSRP on guns, as they are now.
More like MSRP for new guns on USED ones and MSRP +20% on new. Nice to go showroom, like Gander, then go find it elsewhere. Cabela's has good deals on things, especially if you use their VISA card; the news release said BASS will be leaving that alone.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 3, 2016, 03:47 PM   #18
Skans

I don't own stock in or work at either company. So, this is a non-event for me. It's not even a blip on my radar as far as availability of guns and ammo goes.
Old October 3, 2016, 04:13 PM   #19
Gunplummer

The Visa points would be the only thing I would miss, if they cancelled that. I always considered them the WALMART of the outdoor world.
Old October 3, 2016, 04:14 PM   #20
Nathan

You guys are hilarious trashing Cabela's gun prices. Sure they have some high prices, but they also have loss leaders in all departments! I buy some stuff at Cabelas, but usually at a good price compared to elsewhere. You might look closer! Bought a rifle for $800 out of the gun library when i had been looking at gunbroker for months and seeing $950+ or trashed guns at $800!
Old October 3, 2016, 08:21 PM   #21
turkeestalker

I may be lucky since I have a Bass Pro within about 15 minutes and a Cabela's within about 25 minutes, or maybe that makes me unlucky, who knows.

Bass Pro is consistently higher priced than Cabela's on most items unless you happen to catch some kind of 'sale'. and I won't buy from them unless it is a sale item. That almost never happens.
I'm just guessing but I'd bet that the pricing will go the way of Bass Pro in the end, and I'll not likely buy there any more but out of necessity.

I have picked up a couple of used hand guns from Cabela's for more than a fair price, and they do seem willing to haggle a little on their used offerings. I very much enjoy their gun library of used guns when I do stop in. You get to see and handle things that you wouldn't typically find, like their selection of drilling rifles, amazing. I'll miss that if they do away with it.

Beyond that, I've got other local options for most things. Small mom and pop shops who I would prefer to buy from anyway. They just don't have the buying power of a place like Cabela's, and you pay a bit more.
Sort of like shopping at Bass Pro.
Old October 3, 2016, 09:08 PM   #22
lefteye

I've been a Cabela's customer since it was one store in a two story building facing south in Sidney with railroad tracks (east/west, I think) behind the store. I stopped there on a few western hunting trips.
Old October 3, 2016, 09:57 PM   #23
Machineguntony

The local Bass Pro is always slow. Lots of people looking. Very few people buying.

Last edited by Machineguntony; October 3, 2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old October 4, 2016, 10:32 AM   #24
Tuzo

Not good news

Visited Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabela's and concluded, as have many forum members, that Cabela's offers the best value.

I drive 30 miles farther to bypass a Bass Pro Shop (Denham Springs, LA) and get reloading supplies and .22 ammunition at Cabela's (Gonzales, LA). Cabela's staff are friendly, prices are near most online prices, and selection is more vast than at Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain.

After reading about Bass Pro Shop's acquisition of Cabela's, I foresee the firearms section losing quality service and selection and increasing prices.

Several years ago I browsed for used handguns at a Bass Pro Shop and was disgusted to see the non-negotiable cost of a used handgun equal to the cost of a new one. Wonder if Bass Pro Shops management reads comments about their low quality services and over-pricing. Probably don't care.
Old October 4, 2016, 10:50 AM   #25
Chaz88

That is disappointing. I have thought for years it would be a good thing if our Bass Pro burnt down and was replaced with a Cabela's.

I have walked into Bass Pro, several times, with a pocket full of cash and walked out again because the five people standing behind the counter BS'ing could not be bothered to help me.

The only good thing about Bass Pro is the fish tank.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.