The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you kill someone over a 69 cent plant?
Absolutely, the law is clear, it's my right, we'll teach the next one a lesson! 1 3.57%
Probably, but depends on if I knew them or not, their actions, and line of fire 0 0%
Probably not, unless I thought there was more to 2 7.14%
No but I'd hold them at gunpoint till the police arrived 3 10.71%
No but I'd sic my dog on them 7 25.00%
Absolutely NOT (and it's not worth the cost of the bullet and cleaning my gun again) 15 53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 16, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1
TXAZ

Would you kill someone over a 69 cent plant?

Following along the lines of another thread, would you kill someone stealing a 69 cent plant from your front porch if it were legal to do so?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 16, 2012, 08:10 PM   #2
jknight8907

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
Following along the lines of another thread, would you kill someone stealing a 69 cent plant from your front porch if it were legal to do so?
It would really depend on the details of the situation. If some kid came up and stole just the plant and ran off, of course not. Hard to justify that. But if the plant was the first thing stolen and then they were coming in the house, then yes, defense would be required. I know some here who are itching to shoot someone would kill at the drop of a hat, but that's not me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Old February 16, 2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Pahoo

I pray not !!

Then you should also ask, is anything you steal, worth dying for. Does it really make a difference if it's worth 69 Cents or $69,000. I was tested during military years and passed, only because I did not take the time to rationalize the action. I hope I'm never faced with that decision again ...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 16, 2012, 08:57 PM   #4
B.N.Real

I'm not letting anyone walk away with my property.

That said,there are ways to convince a moron he's just picked up the wrong plant off the wrong porch without getting a gun involved.

It might cost another 69 cent plant that's in a ceramic pot though.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Carry_24/7

No, and anyone who "kills someone over a 69 cent plant" or thinks such should be done is, well....not well in the head, and should not even own a gun.

Such people keep the anti-gunners loaded with ammo.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Webleymkv

Not unless the thief also threatened my life or the lives of my loved ones while stealing the plant.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Glenn Dee

Absoloutly NOT! I cant think of anywhere in the civilized world where this would be legal.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:40 PM   #8
cslinger

Dude I wouldn't kill someone over my 30 thousand dollar car. Stuff can be replaced and is not worth the pain and suffering that will be caused to myself, my family. The thought of hurting somebody turns my stomach and unless its life or death then it ain't worth it.
Old February 16, 2012, 10:53 PM   #9
vranasaurus

Deadly force should only be used to protect life.

I can replace anything else.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:05 PM   #10
zxcvbob

Quote:
What thread?
Old February 16, 2012, 11:31 PM   #11
tnxdshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
Nope but I would kill em inside my house if they were stealing while inside. If you are inside my house uninvited I have to assume you mean me harm.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:45 PM   #12
The_Question

just my two cents but pointing your gun at someone who is taking property outside of your home is really hard to justify shooting them over. this is just me but i would call the police right away, describe how the intruder looks, what he's wearing, and i would stay inside, property can always be replaced, your life cannot, why would you escalate a potentially dangerous situation when you are safe?

and this 69 cent plant thing should not even be a freaking question, thats just scary disturbing people would shoot someone over that, a firearm is suppose to be the last resort, not the only one.

edit: and if the intruder was inside, I would ask them to get down on the ground with their hands being visible, if they did anything but that, well then thats justified, they are inside your home and there are no barriers between you and the robber.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:55 PM   #13
Hiker 1

This thread: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=texas

No, I would not both doing much beyond yelling at someone stealing a 69 cent plant. Stupid people steal low-value items all the time. Annoying, but not that big of a deal in the big scheme of life.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:00 AM   #14
B.N.Real

So you are talking to the person,giving them a lecture and you see it's not getting through this morons thick skull and while you are trying to be a decent person,you find out the potted plant had nothing to do with this guy actually being on your front porch after all.

He just picked it up as a decoy because you were watching out the window and he saw you at the last instant as you came out your front door.

Now this guy is attacking you because you were trying to be nice and -now-you are having big problems drawing your weapon because he closed distance on you while you were trying to be decent to him.

Would you die to be nice to someone who you found on your front porch with a 69 cent plant in his hand?
Old February 17, 2012, 12:45 AM   #15
vranasaurus

B.N. Real,

Why would you open the door?

There is no reason not to keep the door locked, gun ready, and call the police. It sucks having stuff stolen but I don't need to go out and risk my life over it.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:53 AM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What thread?
One that got closed, and for good reason. I'm not going to waste brain cells deciding whether or not the first and last poll options were meant in jest. Vigilantism is a grim and uncivilized thing, and this thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere sunny.
Closed Thread