The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 8, 2011, 01:42 PM   #1
imq707s

Refinishing my 1911.....from start to finish. *PICS*

Let me just say thanks to the people on the site that helped me out with all of my refinishing questions......the gun turned out great! []

I picked up this blued Taurus PT1911 a few days ago for cheap.....really cheap! I decided that the blued look with rust showing through in some spots just wasn't going to work. It shot great, but looks kind of crummy.

I tore the gun apart and got everything degreased and ready for media blasting.

I used a cheap Harbor Freight portable sand blaster.., and used a big cardboard box as my "blast booth". Make sure to wear gloves, goggles, and a respirator.
I blasted with 100 grit Aluminum Oxide. It didn't take long at all, maybe 10min to do all of the parts.

I also decided to jewel the barrel just to make it look nicer.....just the bolt area.

Then I used some Lauer Manganese Parkering Solution from Midway...around $7 for a 16oz bottle. I used my Coleman camp stove to heat the solution (1/2 gallon water to 1 pint parkerizing liquid). I just followed the instructions, and it was a piece of cake. The parkerized parts all came out really nice...I almost didn't want to coat over them.

For the coating I decided to go with KG Gun-Kote. I got from Midway....two 4oz bottles were $10 each, and I only ended up using 1 quarter of the bottle. I decided to go with "brushes stainless", and "Satin Black".

I used a small detail spray gun that I had, and a small compressor. It was really easy to spray....but it's not like car paint, it needs to be applied with light dust coats or it will try to run on you. It covers very fast, and sprayed really nice. It only took a few light coats to get complete coverage, then I did one more pass just to even everything out.

After I sprayed the parts I baked them in the over for 1hr at 325 degrees. I bought an oven thermometer just to make sure my oven temp was accurate, and it was.
I used my kitchen oven to bake the parts. I left a few windows open to keep some fresh air moving through the kitchen, but it didn't really smell much at all.

With the parts done, I had to put the gun back together. That Series 80 firing pin safety setup on the Taurus was tough to figure out how it all goes back together.....but I finally got it.
The slide to fame fit was a little tight, I had to go in and smooth out some of the coating that got on the rails and slide with 800 grit paper. Just took a minute, and then it all fit perfect. It feels smoother than it did before.

Well, here are some pics of it all back together. At first I thought the black slide was a little to shiny, but now it's starting to grow in me. I thought the Satin Black would be more "matte" and less "gloss". The Brushed Stainless color looks great!

Anyone have some suggestions for some grips that would look good on it? OR should I just leave the back ones on there?
Old January 8, 2011, 07:53 PM   #2
twhidd

I really like that jeweled barrel. I thought about doing that myself. It doesn't look to be that difficult, but maybe tedious. How does it look after shooting a bit? The slide tends to rub a little on both of my 1911s.
Old January 8, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Don P

Beautiful job on the refinshing. Look great for a home refinish. As far as grips go its a personal thing. Personally I like wood grips. Here a couple of photos of my 1911.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; October 31, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old January 9, 2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Clark500

Did you swap the grips or refinish the old ones?
Old January 9, 2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Did you really paint the grips?
Old January 9, 2011, 09:42 AM   #6
KySilverado

Outstanding! Really looks great!
Old January 9, 2011, 11:07 AM   #7
imq707s

When I bought the gun the it came with the brown ones, and he also gave me the original black
Taurus grips (that's what I've got on it right now). I really don't like the looks of either of them.....so I'm going to try something else...not sure what yet.
Old January 9, 2011, 07:23 PM   #8
dusterdude

very nice
Old January 11, 2011, 11:39 AM   #9
efield

I had always thought the DIY finishes were more complex and required designated equipment. It's still probably beyond my capabilities but you made it look easy. Congrats on a job well done.

On another note, I'm a wood grip kinda guy myself and I have a set from Esmerelda that I really like. If you're into wood, I'd at least have a look at her work.
Old January 11, 2011, 01:54 PM   #10
publius

Very nice, looks better than the factory finish, I like the black factory grips too.
Old January 15, 2011, 06:10 PM   #11
imq707s

Thanks for all of the compliments.

I've been trying to decide what grips I want to put on it. I've also started getting into making my own grips (I will start a different DIY post on that).

What grips do you think look the best on this gun? I'm going to sell the grips I don't use (if anyone wants some of my hand-made ones, let me know).

Standard Black Factory Grips.

Light Brown Wood Grips

My Homemade laminated red/white/black grips

My Homemade laminated Black/White grips

My Punisher grips

Old January 15, 2011, 06:32 PM   #12
Don P

Toss up between Black & White and the Punisher. just my opinion
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 17, 2011, 05:40 PM   #13
publius

Black & White most definitely. You are a good grip maker.
Old January 17, 2011, 06:52 PM   #14
Bigjim3

Looks great... Now Ive got to break out my stuff and give it another try
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old February 6, 2011, 01:39 PM   #15
whill65

I had just asked for advice on refinishing a Taurus when I came across this. That looks fantastic. I'am looking for a company to do mine. I think that would be outside my level of experience. Looks great!!!!!