The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 2, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1
BlindMansBluff

Dark Shooting what is it?

What is Dark shooting. when Talking to Jim Gibbs the Director of Education of a range I attend he told me that he's seen me shoot and that he doesn't believe that a blind person has a problem shooting because he has practiced "Dark Shooting" at the range and apparently knows it to work?

My question would be what is it, and more importantly how do you practice it and how do you improve on shot placement for this partucular drill?

my situation is that I am going in for a CCW soon, but I am unsure that my mussle memory is going to be totally adiquate for the 5/10yrd tests, I know I can shoot, but my mussle memory and aiming is kind of has me second guessing myself.

I thought of asking the range if I may put a beeper of some sort glued to the target on the COM Black Dot, in order to have a clue of where it is but not sure if they would go for it.

Any thoughts?

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old April 2, 2010, 02:06 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Muscle memory has to do with repetitive motions. CCW is about your brain. Knowing when and when not to shoot. And being able to put the bullet where you want it to go.
Never heard of 'Dark shooting'. Maybe shooting at sound. Not a good thing.
"...not sure if they would go for it..." A criminal isn't going to have a beeper.
BlindMansBluff, you have some stones. Didn't catch the blind guy part when I read your post. Not that it matters, but I'm impressed that you're trying. Shoot the way you know how and forget about everything else.
Old April 2, 2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Tomaz45

As to the issues you note, they are the same for sighted shooters in that you are allowing your brain to inhibit your action. As an instuctor I have worked with blind shooters before. You do not state as to your degree of sight loss, but I may suggest the use of a laser sight combined with dry fire practice. Using a friend as a coach, at a 5 yard distance, center the laser dot, then complete the trigger press without disturbing the dot's placement. It's the trigger press, after a proper sight picture, that causes any shot to miss. Repeated properly, the muscle memory that you desire will develop. If perhaps you do some limited sight you may find that you can place the laser dot unaided, but I would encourage the use of a friend give you the immediate feedback as you dryfire. Make sure that you follow correct and safe dryfire practice rules. This is the same process that I have used with sighted shooters and it works.