The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2006, 06:04 PM   #1
nelso

20 gauge/12 gauge pump question

I am going to get a Mossberg 500 in the near future. Some questions I have are: can a tactical light be put on both of those? Does the barrel length have any effect (18.5)? I thought I read that the 12 had better set up for tactical additions. Thanks for any help. Still new at this!
Old January 4, 2006, 06:24 PM   #2
rugerdude

I'd say go 12ga. more accesories that way.

does the 18.5 inch barrel have any effect one what? You can shoot anything with it that you would be able to shoot with a full lenght barrel and a cylinder choke.

and yes, a tactical light can be put on the 12ga moderl, not sure about the 20

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old January 4, 2006, 06:35 PM   #3
nelso

Clarification

When I asked if the 18.5 inch barrel had any effect what I meant was: with either 12 or 20 gauge is that barrel long enough for tact light?
Old January 4, 2006, 06:35 PM   #4
nelso

Clarification

When I asked if the 18.5 inch barrel had any effect what I meant was: with either 12 or 20 gauge is that barrel long enough for tact light?
Old January 5, 2006, 05:48 PM   #5
rugerdude

I think the space for a tac-light is about the same with either one. If a barrel clamp light is too long (i don't think it is) then you can get either a cheap alternative, or a very expensive one.

A surefire forend is going to be pricey (more than the gun)

or you can get a pistol-grip fore-end and buy the flashlight holder that screws on the underside of it.

Oh, there are also reciever mounted tac-light holders as well

just do a google search for surefire, ATI shotgun accessories, or reciver mounted tac-light to find a place to order these.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old January 5, 2006, 08:47 PM   #6
HGKosteck

An M3 light can be mounted to any hard surface. It's what I run on my 12 G. and, AR15. Nice...Light...And puts enough out that it's enough light in most situations. Plus, mounted, it'll only run you 150-200 bones.

Mossberg 500/590 platforms, and, Remmy 870s have the most assecories availiable in 12 G. Most manufacturers assume you wont' be using a 20 in tactical situations, I'd guess.
Old January 6, 2006, 12:06 PM   #7
benny1369

the surfire forend is $170 from their website for both the 870 and the 500/590, and I haven't found it any cheaper. If you're in the military, or know someone who is, SureFire give a 15% (may be 10, but better than nothing) discount to military personnel. The only caveat is you have to place the order over the phone.