The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 18, 2016, 10:53 AM   #26
jackmoser65

Quote:
No need to worry about people worrying. Just because a person is fine with having their guns covered with carbon stains gives them no cause to call other people silly and obsessive who might do a lot of shooting but still like to have their firearms looking nice.
Trust me, there's no worrying on this end.

I'd advise a little "worrying" about your reading comprehension. I called no one "silly". Sorry, I forgot that this was 21st century America where folks get all offended if you disagree with them.

Quote:
My great, great grandkids who will have my guns passed down to them will be dead and buried before there is any noticeable wear from from cleaning them with a Lead Away Cloth.
Says the guy arguing with a professional metal polisher.
Old December 18, 2016, 12:18 PM   #27
dgludwig

QUOTE: "... I called no one "silly"..."

Snarkism begets snarkism. Instead of politely disagreeing with someone else's position (i.e., in this case, "Personally, I don't mind having a little carbon stain left on my revolver after shooting it", is one way you could have expressed your differing opinion), you have to imply that some people obsess over silly things; things that you apparently believe you're too rational to be obsessed with.

QUOTE: "...Sorry, I forgot that this was 21st century America where folks get all offended if you disagree with them..."

I also forgot about some of 21st century America's manifest shortcomings: lacking good manners and forgetting how to engage in discourse politely.
Old December 18, 2016, 02:55 PM   #28
Bill DeShivs

Steve- There is already noticeable wear to your cylinder. Compare it to a new one and you'll see.
Old December 18, 2016, 04:11 PM   #29
jackmoser65

Quote:
I also forgot about some of 21st century America's manifest shortcomings: lacking good manners and forgetting how to engage in discourse politely.
If you think what I posted was rude you probably never step foot in a gun shop, or anywhere else where grown men gather.
Old December 18, 2016, 04:44 PM   #30
dgludwig

There's sometimes a difference between an assembly of "grown men" and being a man.
Old December 19, 2016, 01:11 PM   #31
jackmoser65

Somehow my definition of "being a man" does not include getting my knickers bunched up over words spoken on the internet. Particularly something so benign as "obsessing over silly things" but then, I'm purely a product of the previous century.
Old December 19, 2016, 02:59 PM   #32
dgludwig

I rest my case.
Old December 26, 2016, 09:35 PM   #33
405FileFound

to the OP's charcoaled cylinder

I have a stainless steel SW 649-5 humpback. I was getting burn stains on the cylinder face and I wanted them out ASAP. They'd been there for months and I'd tried a bore brush thingy and some solvent to no avail. One of the guys at the gun range said to use Hopp'es # 9 and a "regular green scrubby pad" to solve the prob. See the results - my camera is crappy but you can see the before and after effect.

While we're on the topic of cleaning finishes...
I have a recently bought SW 438 well with the matte black finish. I can't see the burn rings because its all black but I know they are there. I know I keep hearing not to use Hoppe's 9 on blued guns (like a older model 10) as it apparently deteriorates the finish. I'm sure the green scrubby would just scuff and wreck the matte surfaces. For the matte finish type guns - the black/gunmetal colored 438, 442, even the matte silver/grey 638, 642, 637, can someone tell me and the forum how to effectively clean the finish on our matte finished blasters?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyl face (2).jpg (25.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg cyl face (3).jpg (27.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 mar crane gap (4).jpg (109.4 KB, 39 views)
Old December 27, 2016, 09:20 AM   #34
jackmoser65

It's not the Hoppes 9 doing the job. That "green scrubby pad" is highly abrasive and will remove metal. You anal retentive types are ruining your guns because you can't leave well enough alone.

Quote:
I know I keep hearing not to use Hoppe's 9 on blued guns (like a older model 10) as it apparently deteriorates the finish.
That's news to me.
Old December 27, 2016, 12:21 PM   #35
DPris
Member Emeritus

Not to try to be deliberately offensive, but the issue truly is a pointless obsession for some.

In stainless, it's cosmetic only, and only in one specific area, not "all over the gun".
In a blued gun where the rings are not visible, giving any thought whatever to "can't see them but I know they are there" is even more pointless.

At that point, with a blued gun, where you can't even see the rings, where it's not even a cosmetic issue, why on earth would you care if there are rings present?
Those carbon rings will not hurt the gun.
Just get what'll come off during regular cleaning methods & forget the rest.

I know saying this won't get through to those who can't control the obsession, but the rings are really a nothing issue.

Built as objects of use, not art or jewelry, guns don't have to be polished regularly or kept to absolute factory-fresh pristine appearances.
That goes well beyond maintenance needs, and well beyond "I like to take good care of my guns".

If you do have the obsession, understand that that's what it is- an obsession.
Such levels of regular polishing and abrasion WILL remove material from the cylinder, WILL round off chamber exit holes, WILL remove bluing, if done excessively over long periods of time, and there is no benefit to the gun whatsoever.
Denis
Old December 27, 2016, 02:40 PM   #36
Bill DeShivs

Green Scotchbrite or "scrubby pads" are particularly abrasive.
Your information about Hoppe's #9 is just plain wrong. Of course you can use it on blued guns.
I agree with DPris and Jack Moser. The obsession with carbon rings is ruining your guns!
Old December 27, 2016, 02:48 PM   #37
dgludwig

Quote:
I bought a used Taurus stainless m85. It's dirty to say the least. How can I get the burnt powder residue off the barrel side of the cylinder? What can anyone recommend?
That's all the op asked to know. Some posters offered their well-intended recommendations. Apparently some folks like their guns a little "cleaner" than others do but I haven't seen any suggestion of employing belt-sanders to get rid of a carbon smear. You can overdo anything if you do it long enough but there's nothing wrong or "obsessive" with a little judicious rubbing in the right place with the right stuff.
Old December 27, 2016, 02:59 PM   #38
dahermit

Quote:
Not to try to be deliberately offensive, but the issue truly is a pointless obsession for some.

In stainless, it's cosmetic only, and only in one specific area, not "all over the gun".
In a blued gun where the rings are not visible, giving any thought whatever to "can't see them but I know they are there" is even more pointless.

At that point, with a blued gun, where you can't even see the rings, where it's not even a cosmetic issue, why on earth would you care if there are rings present?
Those carbon rings will not hurt the gun.
Just get what'll come off during regular cleaning methods & forget the rest.

I know saying this won't get through to those who can't control the obsession, but the rings are really a nothing issue.

Built as objects of use, not art or jewelry, guns don't have to be polished regularly or kept to absolute factory-fresh pristine appearances.
That goes well beyond maintenance needs, and well beyond "I like to take good care of my guns".

If you do have the obsession, understand that that's what it is- an obsession.
Such levels of regular polishing and abrasion WILL remove material from the cylinder, WILL round off chamber exit holes, WILL remove bluing, if done excessively over long periods of time, and there is no benefit to the gun whatsoever.
There is only one legitimate reason I can think of where a person would want to get rid of those carbon rings on a Blued gun...it he were about to sell it and it was in otherwise pristine condition. Then he would want to minimize any evidence of use to get the most money out of it as possible. Other than than, I removed the carbon rings once on one of my Stainless guns...just out of curiosity, using a Lead-Away cloth. I certainly not do it on a Blued gun inasmuch as one would end up removing the Blue was well as the Carbon. As for a Stainless Taurus 85 with Carbon build-up, I would have at it (with nothing more abrasive than a Lead-Away cloth), without any concern.
Old December 27, 2016, 03:57 PM   #39
DPris
Member Emeritus

My comments are directed more at educating than criticizing.

Those for whom the ring-removal IS a deeply entrenched & uncontrollable obsession are probably going to continue on with that obsession.

Those who may be new to guns & might think complete ring-removal is either a widespread practice or required as part of a normal maintenance program might find information saying it's not to be useful.

In the latter case, a helluva lot of time & effort can be saved by understanding the rings will do no damage whatever to the gun & will immediately return next time the gun's shot.

And damage from over-polishing to the cylinder face & bluing can also be avoided.

If your compulsion forces you to polish away every last trace of carbon ring, understanding that you CANNOT repetitively polish without removing at least SOME surface steel in the process, since that's what polishing is & does, then you're stuck.

At least the discussion has provided food for thought for those not obsessed with a totally cosmetic appearance.
Denis
Old December 27, 2016, 04:37 PM   #40
dgludwig

Quote:
My comments are directed more at educating than criticizing.
When making comments in threads like these, I do so with a presumption of competence on the part of any poster. When someone asks a question about anything firearm-related (unless he/she is up front with their lack of experience/knowledge to start with), I presume that they are as competent about gun knowledge as I am or more so and are just wanting an opinion on a specific question; not that they (in the case at hand) are asking for a lesson in firearm-cleaning protocol.

Just because someone asks about removing a "carbon ring", even for cosmetic reasons, doesn't mean that they are necessarily ignorant of the fact that "over-cleaning" can be injurious to a firearm nor that they are obsessing over something "wiser" people believe to be compulsive behavior. I haven't seen one poster's comment in this thread that would lead me to believe that they are overly-obsessing with cleaning a firearm. To presume otherwise is betraying a hubris attitude.
Old December 27, 2016, 06:19 PM   #41
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've seen a photo that indicates obsessional polishing on my screen, but regardless of your assumptions of competence among visible posters I also take into consideration the non-visible lurkers who may read, but not participate.

Polish the livin' spit outa your guns if you can't live with carbon rings, but it's unnecessary time & labor that most of us won't bother with.
The guns don't need it, and that end of the cylinder faces away from me when the gun's in my hand, so those rings are only viewable during cleaning.
They don't leap out at me & they offend mine eye not in the slightest.
Denis
Old December 29, 2016, 08:21 PM   #42
rodfac

Quote:
Be aware that Lead Away, Simichrome, Flitz, Mother's, etc. are ALL abrasive.
Each time you use them, you are actually removing a minute amount of metal from the front of your cylinder.
How much you remove depends on the abrasive, pressure, and frequency of use.
Yep...those cylinder mouths, along with the barrel crown are the first things to go that affect accuracy. I'd not tinker with either,...it's a gun.

"Pristine" guns are bit like "Pristine" Harleys, what's the point, excessive cleaning regimens don't affect reliability, and may in time ruin accuracy.

RF
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 30, 2016, 05:58 PM   #43
Steve in PA

Some people like to thoroughly clean their handguns. If you want to leave the rings on your gun, well....it's your gun, do whatever you want with it.

I usually only clean off the front of the cylinder when I'm doing end of season cleaning or it hasn't been cleaned in a while.

As far as things being "pristine"......if you are going to do something, do it right. If you want to do things 95% of the way, whether it's cleaning your gun, washing your car or painting your house, have fun.
Old December 30, 2016, 06:51 PM   #44
jackmoser65

In my opinion, a cylinder face that has been scratched clean with a scotchbrite pad ain't "doing it right". Nor does it serve any other purpose than to satisfy the owner's compulsions.
Old December 30, 2016, 09:58 PM   #45
DPris
Member Emeritus

The reason most of us clean guns is to maintain function and reduce corrosion.
Excessive polishing on the cylinder face to continually remove every last trace of those rings does neither.

Denis
Old December 31, 2016, 07:43 PM   #46
Chainsaw.

This is such a weird discussion. I can imagine someone walking into anothers home and chastising the home owner for keeping the house to clean.
Old December 31, 2016, 08:11 PM   #47
jackmoser65

Quote:
This is such a weird discussion. I can imagine someone walking into anothers home and chastising the home owner for keeping the house to clean.
Except that we were asked.
Old January 1, 2017, 09:49 AM   #48
dahermit

Quote:
Your comment misses the point. It is more like someone walking into another's home and chastising the homeowner for using a power sander with 80 grit to "polish" his finished hardwood floors. The chastiser would be negligent if he did not explain what results would be inevitable from such excesses.
Old January 1, 2017, 03:29 PM   #49
Chainsaw.

Your right but the conversation turned to "stop trying to get the gunk off your gun" period
Thats where it got weird.
Old January 2, 2017, 03:10 PM   #50
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:

Except that we were asked.
Weird indeed, Chainsaw. What the op "asked" for was simply, "How can I get the burnt powder residue off the barrel side of the cylinder? What can anyone recommend?" Well-intended and responsible asked-for recommendations were met with a crusade of "how to keep from destroying your gun from wrong-headed cleaning techniques" when no such injudicious procedures were even hinted at. Some people apparently believe that everyone else is ignorant and need to be "educated".

It's my home. I like a clean home (gun). I know how to care for it. If, as Steve in PA noted, "...you want to leave the rings on your gun, well...it's your gun, do whatever you want with it." I, for one, would not presume to chastise anyone for their perceived cleaning "negligence". That's entirely their business and not mine to insert my nose in to satisfy a compulsive and obsessive need to criticize and educate.