The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 10:10 PM   #1
papadave

Sightmark sight on shotty

Has anyone used a Sightmark Sure Shot reflex sight on a shotgun with any success?
Old March 22, 2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Virginian

I put a Burris SpeedBead on mine and so far so good. That looks like a close relative designed to mount on a rail. I don't have any rails, lights, bayonet mounts, or such, and I don't have any idea how good the repeatability would be taking it on and off. For rifle like accuracy only the very top dollar detachable systems seem to achieve livable results, but on a shotgun it might be okay.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:51 AM   #3
LSnSC

I watched on die on a Saiga at a 3 gun match last weekend. Unless you are willing to spend the cash on a high end reflex, I wouldnt bother.
Old November 8, 2013, 07:39 AM   #4
45long

Have never used a Sightmark in a shotgun but I can let you know my sightmark experience.

I bought one to put on my 45colt. First thing I notices was their instructions were vague. the system of for adjusting the sight was rinky dink. A disk with numbers on it that you slide over a screwdriver. Two settings high and low.
The high was so bright that all you saw was starburst on the scope. I thought it might be me , so I put on my proscription glasses. nope . it was the scope. the lower setting seemed ok untill i went outside, Couldn't even see the dot on low even in relatively low light. Only in EARLY twightlight hours. But I figured I could get some SMT resistors and fix that problem later . got it on my ruger took it out to the range and used it on high setting to shoot 25 yards. shame the brightness settings are off because it does have a small moa dot . after shooting about 8 cylinders full of powder-puff handloads, the plastic section where brightness switch is housed ,fell off dandling by the wire to the switch. thought it was loose screws holding it on .nope. screws were still there . the plastic broke inside the housing where the screws go.

I go online to see where to send it. No address. I have to download a form.
So I go online to download their warranty form .it wouldn't let me do that till talked to a rep. I call up the service rep . He tells me No problem it has a lifetime warranty.But I have to go back to the website and do the form. This time I clicked "yes" to the "have you talked to a rep yet" . After I finished the form It said I'd get an email in 2-3 days.. been 5 days now. no email yet.

wished I'd save a few more dollars and bought a burris fastfire.

If you want a Cheap Red dot I recommend a tasco redot . I have 2 of those .Only like 35 bucks and I don't think you can knock the dang things off zero.I got one on my 45-70 buffalo classic and I have shot some elephant loads in it . No problem. Put one on my Mag Rifle. No problem. they rate them to 357 mag on a handgun and i believe that's not an exaggeration.
There are others out there like Konus and others .but their dots look like 7 moa instead of 5 moa. not much good over 50 yards because the cover up your target/game.

yup , i know This Thread is more than 232 days old but i feel any help to people who Google by is good and might get them enlisted in the forum.

Last edited by 45long; November 8, 2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:23 PM   #5
papadave

I ended up putting a Tasco Bantam 2.5x20 sope on the shotgun for turkey hunting. Worked out great. Put the reflex sight on my S&W 22a. 1 possum, 1 woodchuck and 2 treerats ended up on the business end of that combo.
Old November 21, 2013, 08:11 PM   #6
45long

update

Called back again . This time got another rep who gave me an authorization number . Boom---had the new sight at my PO box in 2 days..This sight seems like the lower setting is usable.. Hopefully this sight holds up better...

Had to post this to say that they did,in fact ,honor the warranty..