The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 3, 2013, 01:20 PM   #1
jimpeel

There's a new manufacturer in town

An Illinois company has gone from producing specialized parts for caterpillar, Allison, etc. to producing AR-15s. They soon plan to design and produce a semi-auto pistol.

The recession slammed their business so they decided they would go with a proven winner; and with a national sales force made up of anti-firearms activists, with Barack Obama at their head, it was a no-brainer.

The only question I would have is "Why Illinois, of all places?"

SOURCE

Quote:
CHICAGO — The road to financial success started in H.J. Mennie's garage in rural Illinois, where the tool and die-maker built a parts manufacturing business selling to Fortune 500 companies from Caterpillar to Cummins.

H.J.'s children now run Mennie Machine Co., and they're turning to what they believe is the great economic equalizer: producing semiautomatic rifles and handguns to satisfy growing American demand. The factory last week shipped its first orders of the AR-15, among the most popular guns in the nation.
Those who wish to do so may want to support this company with your dollars.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old July 3, 2013, 01:45 PM   #2
jimbob86

If they would get into making ammo, the'd make a mint.
Old July 3, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Wow. I especially like the way the author worked this in:
Quote:
The factory last week shipped its first orders of the AR-15, among the most popular guns in the nation. A variant of the weapon was used in the Dec. 14 massacre that killed 26 children and staff in Newtown, Conn.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Patriot86

Illinois, especially the "Quad City" area has a huge number of firearms manufacturers. Going off the top of my head; Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms, Armalite, DSA. If you look just over the border in Iowa you add a few more to the list.

So with that you have a large surplus of people who know how to work on and build guns, especially in the West/Central part of the state.

The business climate is better across the border in MO or IA but if this guy was an Illinois resident already he'd get screwed on the taxes anyways.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Spats McGee,

Yes they said that instead of saying a variant helped protect the mens lives in the last four wars. I saw the other day that the Chicago Tribune ended up buying a bunch of broadcasting stations, and it seems that all the TV stations and papers are now owned by left-wing propagandists.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Patriot86

I have never heard ANYONE make the claim that you can run a DI AR-15 "lubeless" with a Nickle BCG....I have never tried it but it sounds like it won't work well past a few hundred rounds before cleaning.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old July 3, 2013, 11:42 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
I have never heard ANYONE make the claim that you can run a DI AR-15 "lubeless" with a Nickle BCG....I have never tried it but it sounds like it won't work well past a few hundred rounds before cleaning.
I dunno when I'll have enough ammo to test that theory......
Old July 5, 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Did someone say a left hand 1911a1?....

They'd make some Jake if they brought out a decent ordinance grade steel left-hand 1911a1 SAO or a CDR type DA only .45acp/.40/10mm with a arch type grip.
A steel left-hand semi-auto .45acp around $500.00-800.00 USD would sell like ice cream on a hot day, .

ClydeFrog
Old July 5, 2013, 07:42 PM   #9
KyJim

Quote:
Mennie said the company will soon design a handgun, probably a 9 millimeter, for production later this year and is conducting a feasibility study into manufacturing ammunition.
The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nationworl...#ixzz2YDn9cZzQ

So, they are considering manufacturing ammo. That seems like a better long term strategy to me. Ammo is a consumable product and the shortages in supply are more aggravated than those of ARs.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Mike38

I live 20 miles from Mennie Machine Co. and this is the first I’ve heard of their making AR’s. I wonder if they need someone to test their firearms? I’d be more then happy, as long as they furnish the ammo!

Side note: Along with the above mentioned Illinois firearms manufacturers, there is also L.W.Schnyder in Princeton Illinois. I live only 6 miles from them. I worked there for a short period. Pay was lousy.
Old July 6, 2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

http://www.mennies.com/
http://www.mmcarmory.com/
Old July 6, 2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Nathan

Hmmmm . . .lubeless. . .

Boy, I hope that one doesn't catch up to them too quick!