The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 19, 2013, 08:10 PM   #1
therifleman556

Yugo M48BO (Egyptian???)

Has anyone else seen one of these mausers? I read awhile back that Yugoslavia had produced a run of M48 8X57mm rifles for the Egyptians during the 1956 Suez conflict. The estimates I have seen place production as low as 3000 rifles.

Unless there were other Yugo rifles with no markings (other than serial #s), I believe I have one. When I first got it I (foolishly- I was 15) finished the stock in polyurethane. I am in the process of removing that and just thought I would ask if anyone else has one and any idea of what a good example is worth...

Thanks!
Old June 19, 2013, 09:43 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I have one and as far as I know they don't really command a premium over the typical Yugo Mauser.

Bogdanovic says that the BO (unmarked) model 1948s were made in support of the various "National Liberation" movements of the late 1950s.

Since the lack of markings was apparently supposed to conceal their source, and they had an open contract with Egypt and some of the 48A rifles had Egyptian markings, it doesn't make sense that the BO rifles would have been destined for Egypt. However, I've seen many sources on the web indicate that they were made for Egypt so it's hard to say for sure, I guess.

Bogdanovic provides production figures of 386,022 1948BO rifles, all made in 1957.

Mine has the stamped metal triggerguard and came with the typical accessories and one unusual item which appears to be a muzzle protector for cleaning from the muzzle.

They're neat old rifles--it's too bad that 8mm surplus seems to have mostly dried up.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
therifleman556

Given that info (and similar info which I have read), I think I'm going to strip the poly, and finish the stock as nicely as I can without "customizing" it. This was actually my first centerfire, and I don't anticipate unloading it anytime soon. I will, however, stop short of drilling and tapping it.

And I never did worry too much about ammo availability. For as much as I shoot it, I can keep handloading reformed .30-06 brass 'til I'm blue in the face.

It is nice though, having a classic mil-surp with matching numbers. Good solid rifles.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Tad_T

I have an M48BO. It looks almost new.

It is a good rifle. It shoots really well.
Old June 30, 2013, 02:59 PM   #5
indy1919

Just be clear here is any unmarked (uncreasted) m48 a BO.... Or is there a mark to show that it is a BO????????
Old June 30, 2013, 07:17 PM   #6
wpsdlrg

A "BO" will not have any crest or type number. There is NO marking to specifically indicate that it is a "BO".

"BO", by the way (for anyone not already aware of this), stands for "bez oznake" (sp ?)..... which simply means "without marks" in Serbo-Croat.