The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 11, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
mnsunny

What to buy dilemma

Another apples vs oranges. Need help deciding on a Sig p938 or Sig 1911 Ultra Compact. Will use it for carry at some point but in the immediate future, will be home defense gun. Any opinions?
Old May 12, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
45Gunner

Buy the one YOU like the best. YOU are the one that will have to "live" with it.
NRA Life Member
Old May 12, 2013, 01:21 PM   #3
buck460XVR

Quote:
Buy the one YOU like the best. YOU are the one that will have to "live" with it.

^^^pretty much say's it all. If you have truly done your research and affectionately fondled them, you already know the answer. If not, back to the foreplay.........
Old May 13, 2013, 09:00 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

None of the above...

I pick C None of the listed pistols.
For general home protection, Id advise buying a SIG Sauer P229R DAK in .357sig or .40 with Trijicon HD night sights(green-orange) or SIG night sights, a Beretta PX4 Storm C series .40S&W, a S&W SD40 .40 with Trijicon HD night sights, a HK P2000 LEM(Law Enforcement Modification) with 3 dot night sights.
You can add a green laser aimer or white light(Stream light, Surefire, Viridian, etc) to aid you in IDing threats or problems in a low light event.

To me, a DA only or DAK/LEM/C format is great for armed defense. You reduce the risk of ADs & you avoid false, unfair claims of panic or misuse(cocking a hammer or threats).
DAK & LEM series firearms have been in use with many sworn LE officers/federal agents for years. They are safe, robust & easy to operate in low light/stress.

CF
Old May 13, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
CSG

What makes a good HD gun is not necessarily what makes a good CCW. I like little guns and own a couple. My CCW these days is the Ruger LCP. But the gun I have specified for HD is an FNP45 and a Glock 17. I wouldn't choose a tiny lower capacity firearm for HD but they are perfect for carry.

If all you've got is one though, the smaller compact weapon wins.
Old May 13, 2013, 03:22 PM   #6
sgms

I agree with 45Gunner as well. Once you have a short list always take the one you like/shoot best.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Yankee Doodle

If you have acess to both, try this. With your eyes closed pick up one of the guns and hold it in firing position. Then open your eyes and check the sight alignment with your natural grip. Then do the same thing with the other one. The one that comes closest to a natural sight alignment is the one that fits you best. Makes shooting accurately, and speedily a good deal easier.
This is probably the one to buy.
This is the way I do it, and have never regretted it.
Old May 15, 2013, 02:15 PM   #8
kcub

Sorry, can't help you.
I only have experience with what not to buy dilemmas.
Old May 15, 2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Old_Dog

I have the P938 and it is a find carry gun but I would never recommend it for home defense. I have had small 1911's and find them unreliable for defensive use. If you want a good 9mm for carry and home defense take a look at the Glock 19, M&P 9c or similar. They have light rails on them and can be easily concealed. The P938 is a pocket gun for heaven's sake.

I can also recommend the XDs. I have one and with a 7 round mag and a Streamlight rail light on it is makes a great desk gun for me. Same capacity as my $1200 3" 1911 but much cheaper.