The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

View Poll Results: How would you change the NFA?
I would not own a registered firearm or device, regardless of cost 3 15.00%
I would own a registered firearm or device, regardless of cost 1 5.00%
I would own a registered firearm or device if the cost were greatly reduced 2 10.00%
I would own multiple registered firearms or devices if the costs were greatly reduced 14 70.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 9, 2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Birddog1911

Poll-Help me change the NFA

Moderator: If you feel there is a more appropriate section, please feel free to move this there.

This poll is to conduct research on changing the NFA rules. While I would support a complete removal of the law, I don't believe that it will happen anytime soon.

So what I'm trying to do is appeal to a politicians base emotion; greed. I plan to write to a willing congressional delegate to change the law, and greatly lower the cost of an NFA tax stamp. I hope this will also help repeal the 1986 full auto law, as well.

Please, answer the poll and tell me what you think. I will be cross posting this at every gun forum for which I am a member, and ask that you do NOT hit the poll at the other sites, in order to maintain the accuracy and integrity of the poll.

The choices are:

I would not own a registered firearm or device, regardless of cost

I would own a registered firearm or device, regardless of cost

I would own a registered firearm or device if the cost were greatly reduced

I would own multiple registered firearms or devices if the costs were greatly reduced

I do ask that we try to keep this poll at the top for at least a week, so that I may collect as much data as possible. Once I have collected as much as I can, I will be writing Doug Lamborn to propose the bill, or whatever measure may be used.
Old April 9, 2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Technosavant

The NFA tax stamp is at its lowest relative cost ever. It began at $200 and never was indexed for inflation; it would be considerably more today if it had been. IMO, the biggest hurdles to NFA ownership have to do with the extensive wait time (5-6 months for approval) and for full autos, the 922o registry closure.

Then, you have various states with a patchwork of laws; what's legal in one state may not be one state over, federal NFA paperwork or not.

IMO, if they just repealed 922o and sped up the approval process to one month, the $200 taxes would pile up rather quickly, and our government would have some nice revenue.
Old April 9, 2011, 04:07 PM   #3
snipecatcher

^^Agree. The $200 is a lot of money, but it's the wait time that is a killer. It should be an instant background check like the NICS system for firearms.
Old April 9, 2011, 08:20 PM   #4
chasep255

I wish I could get NFA items in my state. I won't be here for ever so I do care about NFA laws. I would like to see the 86 MG ban completely repealed. Also I think that the only guns which should be restricted are DDs and MGs (well I would like to see these items too be unrestricted but I am being slightly realistic). I mean really even most European countries barley have restrictions of suppressors. I would also perfer a system which enables you to transfer NFA items without the wait. What might be practical is applying for something like an NFA Items Purchaser Card (sort of like what they have in NJ for all guns :barf. You go through the whole process, pay a tax, and wait a couple of months but after this you are done. You can now using this card walk into a store and buy NFA items and take possesion the same day.
Old April 9, 2011, 10:21 PM   #5
VUPDblue

Your poll doesn't make much sense to me. What costs are you asking about? The tax cost? I'd vote that I will own items regardless of the current stamp price as long as it remains at $200, but that's not an option. Adjusting it for inflation may make my answer different. Your poll is too narrow IMHO.

That said, here's how I'd change the NFA (other than completely repealing it)

1. Make some sort of PIN available to 'frequent flyers'. There's no reason to have to go through the entire background/fingerprint process for the same person who submits paperwork within a matter of months of each other.

2. Remove the '86 machinegun ban.

3. Remove import restrictions on machineguns which would be legal under NFA registration.
Old April 9, 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
chasep255

Quote:
Make some sort of PIN available to 'frequent flyers'. There's no reason to have to go through the entire background/fingerprint process for the same person who submits paperwork within a matter of months of each other.
Sort of what I said with the card.

Quote:
Remove import restrictions on machineguns which would be legal under NFA registration.
Forgot about that. Also why not remove import restrictions of non-NFA guns which would be legal if made in the US.
Old April 10, 2011, 09:39 PM   #7
jersey_emt

The $200 is chump change for a full-auto gun, because it is the post-1986 ban that drives up costs. If you're already paying $10,000+ for a full-auto gun, halving (or doubling) the cost of the tax stamp has little effect on the total price.

Lowering the cost of the tax stamp for SBR's, SBS's, and suppressors would be nice though. $50 sounds good.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.