The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2009, 02:10 PM   #1
njdevil

1 press or 2?

Ok here is the deal My friend & I wanted to start loading and we found a man that just happen to be getting out of reloading for a personal reason so We bought all his stuff I mean EVERYTHING it is a Dillon sq deal we have about 40-50 LARGE coffee cans of brass mostly 9 38 40 45 Now we shoot mostly 9mm we do have 38 & 40 gun also
so here is my question since we got should a good deal do we but a dillon 550 to just load 9mm and use older press for all other loads?
We had a price in our head on what we were going to pay the man but it was only 1/2 price so we have some extra $$

Just wondering how you may handle it

Thanks

Ken

Last edited by njdevil; January 28, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Shoney

If I understand your post correctly, you bought a used Dillon Square Deal with dies for 9mm, 38Spec, 40 SW, and 45 ACP dies and accessories. Everything you need to reload these 4 cartridges.

Is this correct?

The dies for the SQDeal will only fit that press. They will not fit in any other press.

So if you buy a 550. you will need to buy completely new sets of dies and plates.

How many rounds of which cartridges are you shooting per week/month/year?
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 28, 2009, 04:53 PM   #3
BigJimP

If you like the SDB press / I would just stay with one press / change out the tool heads.

I'm not that big a fan of the 550 model / it doesn't have the ability to add a "powder check " die ( neither does the SDB ). You have to go to the 650 to get that option.

But since you and a buddy went into this together - maybe you want to buy a 2nd SDB - split up the stuff - and each run your own opeations / rather than share stuff.

Personally, I use a 650 for all the calibers / have tool heads set up with dies, powder measures etc all set up. I don't find the need for more that one press because when I run a specific caliber / I usually run 50 - 75 boxes of ammo ( or about a case of bullets ) and then stack it in boxes. So when I break down the press, I clean it, lube it, - and put it together with the next caliber I want to run.
Old January 28, 2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Sturmgewehre

I say get 3.

Old February 18, 2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Steviewonder1

Presses

I have two Dillon SDB's, one in large pistol, the other in small pistol. Saves having to change out the primer system to go from one to another. Also I can change from 45 to 40 in about 10 seconds, slide over 3 ft.

Steviewonder1