The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2009, 12:00 PM   #1
DEDON45

Stamping Case Heads?

It's been a while since I asked a question so:

I've been reloading my .308 Win using RCBS X-Dies, which eliminates retrimming the brass after firing (and thus extends brass life, etc.)... I have been marking the ammo with a sharpie so when i get back home with the brass, I know which brass has already been "initiated" into the X-Die process (initiation consists of a one-time trim of the brass .02" shorter than max case length)... so far, that's been working, but I'd like something more permanent... has anyone seen a rig or a machine that can stamp the case head? I was thinking I'd stamp a small 'T' or something on the case head to let me know I'd processed it...
Old January 15, 2009, 02:13 PM   #2
mkl

Never seen a head stamping machine.

You could use a small triangular file to put a very small nick in the case rim, say just above the caliber stamp, and identify them that way.

Just be sure it is a small nick so your extractor will still function should it get aligned with your mark.
Old January 15, 2009, 03:05 PM   #3
PCJim

Dedon, interesting idea you've got there. Do a google search for metal stamps punches. I located a hobby shop selling a alphabet set for $10, which should easily do what you are seeking to accomplish.

It tickles me too at the thought of what would happen if you lost a few and the extra marks on the case head throwing the unknowledgable brass rats a curve ball. "Geez, never seen these stamps before. Can you members of TFL identify the marks?" Just hope you don't live in the S. Florida area.....
Old January 15, 2009, 04:30 PM   #4
SL1

Harbor Freight usually sells metal stamp sets.

I bought one and have used it to stamp numbers and letter on some of my case heads. It is easy for rimmed cases, but takes some figuring to make a jig that will hold the rimless ones.

Acouple of things to consider about stamping brass:

The area around the stamped figure gets raised a bit, so it will make the case base sit a little out-of-square against the bolt face or recoil shield. That might affect accuracy in some applications. Running the case head gently over a flat mill file will remove the raised area. Just be caeful not to file down any other area.

Also, hammering on the brass will harden it some. This can affect brass measurements used to help estimate pressure. That is especially true if you use a rod inside the case to support a rimless case against the hammer blows. I would suggest you NOT do that if you intend to measure case head expansion on fired rounds.

SL1