The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Beretta686

Plinking 5.7x28 ammo? Ever?

I strolled across an FN Five-Seven at the PX yesterday at an obscenely low price given that they're pushing $2000 on gunbroker and I pounced all over it. Now that I have this marvelous new toy, I'm also stuck with a technologically advanced, extremely lightweight paperweight which I can dry-fire to my heart's content as there's no ammo to be found.

However, once the current feeding-frenzy subsides and ammo prices start creeping down, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there such as Wolf, Tula, S&B or whatever who's developing a cheaper 5.7x28 plinking round?

I'd love to keep the gun and use it, but if I'm always going to be paying top $$$ to feed a novelty item that's not a machine-gun it doesn't make much sense to keep it.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 2, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Crosswire3

I just sold mine during the frenzy for the same reason (among others). Even when reloading, it was high cost in components and time for the satisfaction I got from shooting it. Additionally, no matter how careful one is, the coating on the casings required for extraction is flat out fragile (as is the brass itself). Of course you can spray on a replacement but it means stripping the original. In the end it was too much time/$/work to use it as a plinker. That said, it is a fun round. Moving about twice as fast as a standard handgun round makes it fun for longer range pistol shooting.

I hear you on the plinking ammo question...that could really bring it to life!
Old February 2, 2013, 11:51 AM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

The caliber will never achieve sufficient popularity for major ammomakers to get on board with either low pricing or any great variety of loads.
Denis
Old February 2, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
PSP

It seems there would be an appreciative market for a lower powered, cheaper practice ammo. Elite ammo, Georga Arms, ... are you listening? For now, the only way to get a decent price is to buy in bulk. It comes in 2000 cases. Because of the governmental threats though, ammo is scarce.

The Federal ammo may be the closest we'll get.

At least the round has found it's way into several rifles and a couple more handguns.

Last edited by PSP; February 3, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:02 PM   #5
smee78

I always thought the ar uppers for this round were neat, taking the p90 mags and dumping the empties out the ar mag well was an interesting idea.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:14 PM   #6
sigcurious

Last year or the year before Federal got rights to start producing 5.7 ammo under the American Eagle brand. Before the craziness it was going for about $20/box plus or minus a buck or two.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:14 AM   #7
kinoons

Once fired brass goes for $0.17, primers are $0.04, bullets maybe $0.24, and only a few cents worth of powder. So first run costs $0.50ish, and following runs are $0.30.

Prior to the madness the going rate was 50rds/$25. Now the rate on the open market is 50/$50-$60.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Venom1956

how much is a "good deal" im mainly curious.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 3, 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Beretta686

Quote:
Once fired brass goes for $0.17, primers are $0.04, bullets maybe $0.24, and only a few cents worth of powder. So first run costs $0.50ish, and following runs are $0.30.
Indeed, but you're only counting the direct costs per round. You're not factoring in the time, equipment costs and facilities to reload that factor into choosing to reload.

I'd love to reload, as I love 10mm and the only way to afford to shoot it is to reload. But I don't have the space to do it, without turning my delightful bachelor pad into a workshop. And as much as I love shooting, I like women more.

I think I may regrettably sell this gun even though I'd love to keep it, as I already have enough safe queens.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 3, 2013, 09:35 AM   #10
kinoons

A simple reloading setup need not be much larger than a potted plant stand. I got into reloading for a Finn m28/76 that was picky, so reloading my 5.7 wasn't a big deal.

I understand if you don't want to reload. However, if not doing so a fiveseven is an expensive duck to feed.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11
FairWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
The caliber will never achieve sufficient popularity for major ammomakers to get on board with either low pricing or any great variety of loads.
Denis
Yep. I think it will always be a niche round. If you want something off the beaten path (and I often do), you'll have to be prepared for everything that goes along with it.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:27 AM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

Baretta686 you can get a hand press kit, and dies for around $100 plus or minus a few. Add a pound of powder $20 to $25. Bullets, and primers. You can fit the whole set up in a shoe box.