The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 3, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Fargazer

Need Firearm Safe Advice

I am looking for a USA made safe to secure my firearms from both theft and fire. Tentatively, I'm looking at a $4000 budget, which would include shipping and installation (placement, bolting it to walls / floor). Self install is not an option I'm willing to consider.

The security environment is layered, with a monitored alarm system and dogs; in addition, the safe will most likely be camouflaged and have a vibration alarm attached to the inside of the safe. I'm looking at storage for approximately 35 long guns and 20 pistols, with some room for expansion.

I've got two questions, at least to start with:
  • I've found several safe dealers in the general area; are there any particular ones people have had a good experience with that they can recommend?
    • Nashville and Atlanta dealers can be considered also
  • I suspect a RSC will do just fine, given the other layers; however, I'd love to be able to get something with a TL-15 rating. I doubt I can afford a new TL-15 safe; is it realistic to think I could find a used one with that high a rating, given my budget?
I'm looking to purchase in January, at which time I'll take a look at what used safes are available.
Old November 3, 2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Sefner

Having that kind of budget, have you considered getting insurance for your firearms, too? No safe is totally fire-proof...
Old November 3, 2010, 07:21 PM   #3
JBial

I've been looking at these http://amsecusa.com/home/ I have a quote for one with all the goodies and delivery and installation for $2800.
Old November 3, 2010, 09:53 PM   #4
BODAME

Safes

I am Sold on Liberty Safes,After seeing a Lincoln Model after a House Fire it sold me.
I am not going to be any help in your area, but my Safes were delivered and installed at what I think is reasonable charge by the Owners of the Store.
I would think most Independent Shops are going to have arangements with
Folks to handle it for you.
Good Luck with your Project and don't forget about your Home Owners Policy.
I know of a Situation of a Safe being taken out the Wall of a house with a
Wrecker and the gentleman lost a Life Time of Colllecting but he did have them listed on his Home Owners and got to start all over after the House
was Rebuilt.
Hagen
Old November 4, 2010, 12:27 AM   #5
ethan95

i just purchased a Liberty Colonial safe, all said and done it was about $1500. Your collection is quite bigger than mine so that's probably a bit to small. I Highly recommend liberty safes though. Maybe the Liberty Fatboy or Fatboy Jr.. Liberty services all of the lower 48 http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_fatboyjr.php
Old November 6, 2010, 01:08 AM   #6
Btn

I have several safes, including a Sturdy, Brown and Liberty. My favorite of the 3 is the Sturdy, it's the best made of the bunch. And right now they're offering 5 gauge models for a limited time. They're a great buy for the money, and quality. I can't recommend them enough.
Old November 6, 2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Adirondack

+1 for Sturdy and it's all I can do to resist buying one of those 5ga versions that are available right now.
Old December 7, 2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Kevin Rohrer

Some safes may be "fireproof", but they all turn into ovens that bake firearms into scrap if subjected to enough heat over a period of time.

As for recommendations, any safe you put in your basement in an inconspicuous area is much better than a really expensive safe on your ground floor. Unless a burglar enters your house via the basement, he will not go there. And unless your basement is really fancy with lots of expensive, burglar-worthy stuff, he will move upstairs to the bedrooms if initial entry is made thru the basement.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 8, 2010, 11:37 AM   #9
oneounceload

You may find what you want at your local locksmith who also sells safes - he may even have a used one from someone who upgraded.

I have a National Security, which is now a part of Liberty - good RSC I bought at a gun show so they delivered it on their way home to SLC years ago.

A local smith should save you a lot for shipping, so you can get more safe for your money
Old December 8, 2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Idahoser

we bought a Heritage and we like it very much. One thing that the salesman told us that made sense to me was that if you get a safe with the external hinge, it gives the bad guy something attractive to attack. This does not let him get in, even if he ruins the hinges, but it does make your safe difficult or impossible to open afterwards.
Old December 8, 2010, 05:24 PM   #11
kimbershot

bought an amsec personal safe for papers, handguns and suppressors-it is burgler/fire resistant and weighs +300lbs. saw their larger gunlocker while safe shopping at local dealer.

their safe is built like a tank. do a google on amsec as i did buy via the web and saved 200 vs. local- even with shipping charges.
Old December 8, 2010, 05:47 PM   #12
ML41887

Fort Knox

I'd take a look at these. They're supposed to be the best and they're made in the US. However my experience with them is purely hear-say. I have no personal experience with them. Again, Fort Knox. Their ratings are higher 1680F while Liberty rates at 1200F. I am sorry I don't know how much they are but with a budget of $4000 you shouldn't have any problems.
Old December 8, 2010, 06:03 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Having been both burglarized and burnt down in the past year, I feel somewhat qualified to comment.

The burglar came in through an unlocked window, my fault there, it was a nice day and I had been running the whole house exhaust fan. He grabbed the guns I had laid out for cleaning and maintenance and did not stay to even look for more guns or other valuables. Any safe - or a locked window - would have deterred this punk kid.

After the house burnt, my friends salvaged my guns (I was in the hospital.) Those in an ancient unlined Treadlock were fine. The overflow in a closet and "house guns" here and there were all damaged but not irrepairably. Most scopes were ruined, except some of the Leupolds. Most accessories on open shelves were ruined but I am experimenting with Evaporust on really ugly magazines with some success.

When I get rebuilt, I will surely have a pretty good safe(s) for both security and fire protection.
Old December 8, 2010, 10:06 PM   #14
a1abdj

There are certainly plenty of used commercial options in that price range.

With that type of budget, I would stay away from anything offered by a gun safe manufacturer, and focus on a real safe from a real safe manufacturer. You're going to get better fire protection, and better burglary protection.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:35 PM   #15
rugermk2

I just recently purchased a Liberty Fatboy Jr, and so far like it. However if I could have spent what you are looking to spend I would have hands down bought a pendelton. If you just google pendelton safes and go to their website you will see why. Also alot of what I read claimed most fire ratings aren't true for guns. Most fire ratings are for paper. For example most Liberty safes claim they will protect 1200 degrees for a certain amount of time. Paper will not ignite at 1200 degrees, however if could cause problems for your firearms. Hope this helps