The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2010, 07:04 AM   #1
velocette

.380 & Bullseye?

Sounds like a match made in heaven. However, I can find no load data for the lowly .380, 95 gr. (or any other weight) cast lead bullets and Bullseye powder. Plenty plenty for jacketed projectiles, a few for other propellants and cast bullets. I have gone through all my load books, Alliants website, no joy.
Therefore I turn to the collective wisdom the forumm.
Any one here load cast bullets and Bullseye powder in their .380? If so what is your preferred charge weight?
I realize that I could take the jacketed bullet load data and drop it 10% then work up, but I'd feel better if I could learn from perhaps another's mistakes before making my own.

TIA
Roger
Old April 30, 2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Sevens

Well, I've only loaded Berry's 100gr Plated RN slugs in .380 and I've done most of my work with Power Pistol. But I have built some of these using Bullseye powder and when I did, I was loading 3.1 grains of Bullseye and loading to a COAL of 0.975". QuickLoad suggests that it might run in the range of 850 fps out of a shortish-.380 typical barrel.

My Lyman 49th suggests data for a cast 90 grain slug, showing between 2.4 and 3.0 grains and a 0.980" COAL.

If I were in your shoes, I would load some at 2.7gr, some at 2.9gr and some at 3.1gr and just see what I see!
Old April 30, 2010, 06:11 PM   #3
capbuster

You might search the web for M.D.Smith's reloading pages. I think he might have some load information that you will find interesting.
Old April 30, 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
velocette

Capbuster;
Thank you! That's some good information there.

Roger
Old May 6, 2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Schultz56

I have the same combination of bullet and powder and have had the same trouble finding load data. What I did was use 2.5 gr of Bullseye and shot about 50 rounds. To me it felt a little hot and it threw the cases about a mile. So my next move will be to back it down 10%. My goal is to get a nice comfortable plinking load. Hope this helps. Let me know if find any more info on this particular bullet/powder combo.

If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns!
Old May 6, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Clark

I have tried 800X, but the real winner for me is Power Pistol in 380.
I want to get as much power as I can from this little Kel-Tec P3AT in a my shirt pocket. I am getting 1100 fps with 90 gr Gold Dot.
I can get twice that much power from heavier 380s with better case support, but they don't fit in my shirt pocket.

Power Pistol used to be called "Bullseye 84".

Bullseye and Power Pistol look the same and smell the same.
The way to identify them is with density.
Power Pistol is denser.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:31 PM   #7
colospgsAVID

I agree. I'm using 90 grain XTP's though. PowerPistol has been awesome in my LCP. Has some flip though for sure... compared to factory 90 grain .380 Auto GDHP's. Mikie like!
Old May 21, 2010, 11:33 PM   #8
colospgsAVID

... .380 Plinking load?
Old May 21, 2010, 11:36 PM   #9
colospgsAVID

Look at and smell Varget and H4895. It almost gives me convulsions... I might have to bust out the old lee dippers to see the density difference...
Old June 1, 2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Reloader38

.380 Auto and Hodgdon Titegroup

I am just getting into reloading .380 Auto ammo, and have an order of 95gr JHP bullets on the way from Montana Gold Bullet, Inc. Since I have a fairly large supply of Hodgdon Titegroup powder on hand, which I use for my .38 Special and 9mm reloads, I'm planning to use it for my .380 reloads as well.

Hodgdon's website recommends min/max loads of 2.7gr and 3.2gr of Titegroup for .380 Auto 95gr FMJ bullets. Would the same min/max load recommendations be suitable for 95gr JHP bullets?