The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2007, 05:15 PM   #1
CrustyFN

Pro Auto Disk Question

I am getting ready to start loading 223 and have heard posters talk about the double disk kit does not throw enough powder. I was wondering if anybody has tried stacking three disks and buying longer bolts from the hardware store. I thought this would be cheaper than buying a new powder measure. OK flame suit on, go ahead and tell me I'm crazy.
Rusty
Old March 4, 2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Scott5

Hey CrustyFN,
I wouldn't say crazy but if you had 2 riser kits it might work if it didn't leak.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...632.3126=90195

Happy reloading and shooting.

Scott5
Old March 4, 2007, 11:59 PM   #3
amamnn

I've used it-it will certainly drop enough for .223--that's not the trouble with it---would you like a free one? I 'll send it to you if you pay the postage.

Hint: if it's more than a dollar to mail--it's not worth it.
Old March 5, 2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Fiddler 5.56

Hello, my first post here.
I'm waiting for LEE to fix my Loadmaster so pulled out my old single stage to keep busy.
What I did, is used one disc that dispensed a half charge . Double charge to get correct load. The travel is not a full stroke, so don't find much of an inconvience. Using the pro auto disk, case activated.
Old March 5, 2007, 02:26 PM   #5
swmike

I just finished 1,000 rounds of 5.56 using my old Lee Progressive 1000 and an AutoDisc with doubled disks. They will drop more than enough powder. I was using two .92 disc's with IMR4064 (Just to use it up, next batch will be with H-335). To make sure the loads dropped consistently, I scotch taped the edges so the cavity's lined up as close as possible.

Most loads require the double disc in 223/5.56.

For the half stroke issue, make sure the disc is installed correctly with the actuator lever in the proper hole on the bottom of the disc. Also that the die is screwed into the plate enough to give a full operating stroke when the shell is at the top of its travel.

I upgraded my Autodisc powder measure to the newer style hopper and actuator for less than $15. Don't care for the adjustable powder bar that much (but it came for free) but do like the polymer wiper. My measure has dropped loads consistently within +/-.1 gr in extruded and dead on in ball powders.

The adjustable bar hates any load under 6 gr using unique.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old March 5, 2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Abstract

It's pretty easy to modify an adjustable charge bar so that you can stack two adjustable charge bars in the double disk kit. Lee won't tell you how to do it, but it really is simple. It'd be a lot easier to just go with a drum-type measure, such as RCBS or Hornady, both of which will work just fine on your Lee press.