The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2006, 08:34 AM   #1
sindiesel666

How do you seat gas checks

Title says it all. I've never done it, and since I'm trying to develop some light rifle loads for my Enfield, M39 and K31, just wondering what I need to place gas checks on the bullets. I'll be using 6-7 grain charge of Clays. Will I even need checks with such a small charge?? Any info/insight appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old June 17, 2006, 11:24 AM   #2
cobra81

Gas-checks

It depends on the cast bullet you are using. If the mould you are using is designated as dropping a cast bullet, you will probably have better results if you go ahead and seat a gas-check. This is done by sizing the bullet in a special sizing die (the gas-check is seated and the bullet is sized in the same press stroke.) The die crimps the gas-check into place on the base of the bullet.
Old June 17, 2006, 12:12 PM   #3
brickeyee

Bullets designedfor gas checks have a heel for the gas check. It is pushed onto the heal in the lubri-sizer.
Old June 17, 2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Toney

I tryed the lee 185gr bullets without the checks, and all keyholed.
With the checks the shoot very good. I ues the lee sizing kit i picked up for $15.99
Old June 17, 2006, 10:20 PM   #5
Rimrod

They seat when you size them.

If the loads are under 1000fps you may not need to use a gas check, in fact it is better if you don't. The check can be pulled off in the barrel and cause an obstruction. If you go above 1000 it will depend on the alloy you are using, and how hard the bullets are.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake