The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 22, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Alabama Shooter

Rusty Python

1- The LGS has a Python for sale at a reasonable price. It is blued and along the top (and only the top) there are a number of places of corrosion. I was wondering if there was a relatively easy way to fix this (short of stripping and rebluing the whole gun), or if it just explains the reasonable price.

2- Also the cylinder is not 100% smooth when rotating it like I see on other Pythons. Maybe 95% smooth with a little roughness. It does not appear serious but it is notable.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

You can soak the rusty areas with Kroil or ClP Breakfree and let soak a couple of days to penetrate and soften the rust.
Then apply more and use a brass "toothbrush" to scrub the areas.
This will remove the rust without risking damage to the rest of the bluing.

After the rust if off, apply CLP Breakfree as a preservative to prevent rust, and to continue to "work" any remaining rust.
What will be left is missing blue and tiny pitting where the rust was.
About the only way to correct that is to return the gun to Colt for a refinish to like new condition.

I don't recommend using any cold blues to try to hide the damage.
Cold blues contain acid that can actually cause more rust, it turns brown with time, and you can rub it off with your fingers with a couple of swipes.
Worse, cold blues leave permanent blotches in the original blue around where the cold blue was used.

Possibly the roughness is just a dirty action and cylinder. You can clean everything up and that might correct it, or it could be a mechanical problem.
Whatever, don't try to disassemble the cylinder unless you know how it's done, or you risk doing really serious damage.

So, sight unseen it could be a good buy or a problem that would cost to get repaired by Colt.
The good point is, of you can get it cheap enough you could send it in to Colt for restoration to like new condition and still come out ahead.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Alabama Shooter

I would never try to reblue on my own. I have seen too many tragic examples of that.

He is asking $1100. That seems like a really good price in today's market.

Is there a standard price for a Colt refinish?
Old January 22, 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
603Country

Wow! $1100. I wonder what my 4 inch bbl nickel Python is worth? Not that it's for sale.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe I underestimate Python mania, but IMHO that is way too much for one with rust on it.

FWIW, you can "remove" active rust, but you can NEVER restore the metal that has been eaten away by the oxidation of which rust is a product.*

If you have to have a Python right now, that rust (probably from a leather holster) can be overlooked. But I would either try to get a better deal of keep looking for one without rust.

*Yes, I know about TIG welding pits and polishing, etc. But we are talking about a Python here, not some exceedingly rare gun that will bring 100 grand after restoration.

Jim
Old January 22, 2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Wow! $1100. I wonder what my 4 inch bbl nickel Python is worth? Not that it's for sale.
From what I can tell, more than that.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

$1100 for a Python with rust is WAY out of line even in todays crazy Python market.

Colt can often polish out light pitting during a re-blue, and you can be surprised at what they can do.
Last I heard, a Python re-finish is around $300?? which is very reasonable considering they give it the full Royal Blue polish job that looks like a blue mirror.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Alabama Shooter

I think $300 is actually pretty reasonable. Now to see if I can talk him down a few hundred....
Old January 25, 2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Rifleman1776

Price seems grossly excessive to me, especially not in top condition.
If it is to be a user, try to get for less and just carefully sand/file down the rust to make it work smoothly. Oxpho-blue to touch up the rest and you are set. If you want a collector show piece, keep shopping.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Revolver1

Soften up the rust, let dry. Finest steel wool you can buy. Rub lightly. As for the cylinder, try some lube first. Put some rounds through it. It's obviously been sitting. Pythons don't like sittin', unless it's cold out. They're cold blooded!