The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 24, 2018, 02:53 PM   #1
tobnpr

DOJ Press Release on Bump-Stock Ban:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attor...ng-bump-stocks

Open for public comment for 90 days.

Many strong opinions on this, but I do believe it's difficult to make an argument that they do not alter semiautomatic weapons to functionally become machineguns.

As such, my personal opinion is that they should be regulated/subject to the same NFA regulations as pre-ban machineguns...but that isn't going to happen. Looks like they're all going into the trash pile.

Anyway, just intending to inform as this was just released yesterday...
Old March 24, 2018, 04:00 PM   #2
hdwhit

Thank you.

Anyone planning to comment should carefully read Section VII. Public Participation, in the Press Release. Comments need to address what the Justice Department has asked for comments about if they expect them to be considered in the rule-making process. Commenters should also be aware that their comments will be placed on the internet and be available to anyone who wants to read them. If Commenters do not want their name and address included in the internet posting, they should follow the process specified in the instructions in Section VII.B. Confidentiality if they don't want their name and contact information available for all to see.

This is an opportunity for people to shape public policy with respect to Bump Stocks and the precedent that banning them might have on other devices in the future. But to influece the attorneys and technicians that will be drafting the regulations, comments need to focus on what the Department of Justice has asked they focus on. It may make people feel good to vent and lambaste the people writing the regulations, but at the end of the day that does none of us any good as it is not responsive to the request in this Press Release and simply makes the rest of us look like lunatics. Be polite, be civil, stick to the point and be concise.
Old March 24, 2018, 04:02 PM   #3
turtlehead

If I pull the trigger fast enough maybe I can be considered a machine gun too...
Old March 24, 2018, 04:18 PM   #4
k4swb

Actually that is all the bumpstocks do. Allows you to pull the trigger really fast. Each shot requires its own trigger pull.

I'm of the mind that "shall not be infringed" means exactly that. NO INFRINGEMENT!
Old March 24, 2018, 05:04 PM   #5
TXAZ

I’m not a bump stock fan and see little use for them. But if outlawed, I wonder if they will next outlaw soft shoulders and stiff fingers, a combo which, with a little practice, can make most any semi bump fire.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 24, 2018, 08:02 PM   #6
FITASC

Personally, I think they are a stupid waste of money, similar to SIG arm braces; HOWEVER, just because I don't want one, doesn't mean those who do shouldn't have that ability....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 24, 2018, 08:33 PM   #7
lamarw

Please express your view point in the Public Comments. I would strongly suggest you not make the argument about being able to pull the trigger fast enough to simulate automatic fire. We don't need the liberals moving this information further toward the center of their desire to impinge upon the 2nd Amendment.
Old March 24, 2018, 09:31 PM   #8
Model12Win

Bump stocks are useful for simulating fully-automatic fire for civilians in times of civil unrest or without rule of law. They can be used for the same suppressive fire rolls as true full-autos.

Considering the military has fully-automatic weapons, bump stocks allow civilians to match their firepower and there is nothing wrong with that. Back when the 2nd was created, it was musket-on-musket warfare. Today, we should allow citizens to match military firepower, for the same reasons the 2nd was made in the first place.
Old March 25, 2018, 04:04 AM   #9
raimius

Their previous interpretation was correct. Sadly, they'll bow to political pressure and leave logic on the wayside.

Further, their analysis of the bump stock capturing and directing energy is faulty. The bump stock is intended to slide around, and requires the user to manually pull forward for each successive shot.
Old March 25, 2018, 10:12 AM   #10
Nodak1858

And if down the road another wack'o does something, it will be the AR platform gone after next. Because like everyone says, "I can do that without a bump stock, let them be banned". Whether you like or hate them that's not the point, once they find a chink in the armor they are in. To the anti's there no "if we get bumpstocks we'll be happy", it's the lowest fruit they can grab right now.
Old March 27, 2018, 12:20 PM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
If I pull the trigger fast enough maybe I can be considered a machine gun too...
This is exactly the justification politicians will use to take your semi-automatic firearms next.
Old March 27, 2018, 10:31 PM   #12
turtlehead

Yep.

Not one more inch.
Old March 27, 2018, 10:46 PM   #13
cslinger

One wonders how much time, money and effort is being spent on this? I wonder if this could be spent on other efforts.....maybe even focusing on .... ya know ..... criminals. I know, I know crazy talk but I am sooooo controversial