The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 31, 2000, 03:05 AM   #1
Gorthaur

When to the local indoor range today. Figured I'd have the place to myself, while the football thing was going on. Lot's of other people had the same idea. Didn't pay much attention to their demographics. Still can't shoot one-handed with my support hand worth a darn. Need more practice.
Old January 31, 2000, 03:07 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

ROTFLMAO!

Old January 31, 2000, 03:09 AM   #3
Gorthaur

Sometimes you're just in the right place, at the right time.
Old January 31, 2000, 01:03 PM   #4
Guy B. Meredith

I worked the line as Range Safety Officer at Chabot outdoor range yesterday. We have 53 rifle/pistol slots and maybe 25 handgun slots. Had two people on the pistol range, but no more than 1/2 hour each. People on the rifle/pistol range did more gassing than shooting, but most (with exception of 4 nervous newcomers at 4:00 pm) experienced shooters. Maybe 20 total at various times through the day.

Some packed up when a couple of rain cells came through and they couldn't see the 50 and 100 yd targets--shows who the REAL shooters are. Great day for those who stuck it out!
Old January 31, 2000, 01:30 PM   #5
Gorthaur

Do you work the PPC matches? Do you take cover when the shooters get to the one-handed part?
Old January 31, 2000, 01:46 PM   #6
BigG

How bout "Village" People at the range! hehehe ROTFLMAO!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Old January 31, 2000, 02:12 PM   #7
Guy B. Meredith

No, I don't work the PPC matches. The action pistol matches are on the same days, so I can't even shoot PPC now.

The only really scary time is in IPSC/action where the starting position is UP range. On those stages, everyone ducks or finds some reason to be elsewhere if they are not the shooter.
Old February 11, 2000, 01:08 PM   #8
AEM

I went to an indoor range the other weekend with my 8 year old son to get in some trigger time with .22 handguns. As we were leaving there was a young woman and young man signing in. She had the pistol case and gear and was saying to the two women who were running the range at that moment "He's never shot before." The young man then voluntered "I don't like guns." As I left, the three women were reassuring him that there was nothing to worry about and that he would enjoy it. I thought "Now, THAT'S something you don't see every day!" Times are changing, indeed.

By the way, when I take my son shooting we use blank paper and a Magic Marker to make custom targets: lions, vampires, zombies, etc. Everytime I'd send another one of his creations down range on the motorized target hanger, the entire firing line would crack up. It was fun.
Old February 11, 2000, 02:42 PM   #9
Sciri

AEM: That made my day...thanks.

/Sciri/
Old February 11, 2000, 07:23 PM   #10
Bud Helms

Way to go, AEM!
Old February 11, 2000, 08:03 PM   #11
Mouse Gun

I LOVE IT... I like the homemade target idea, maybe it will help get my son out to the range.

Mouse Gun
Old February 13, 2000, 01:58 PM   #12
CrowShooter

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy B. Meredith:
The only really scary time is in IPSC/action where the starting position is UP range. On those stages, everyone ducks or finds some reason to be elsewhere if they are not the shooter.[/quote]

You mean the IPSC shooters at your range are unsafe?

CS
Old February 13, 2000, 05:31 PM   #13
Guy B. Meredith

CrowShooter,

The action shooters in our club are not unsafe--quite the contrary, they are safety extremists. That is why they take the extra measure when anyone is facing uprange at the beginning of a stage.