The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 8, 2008, 11:02 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

what do say to a deer?

To stop him that is....
I use the MATTTT... call.... works for me but what do you say to stop one?
Brent
Old November 8, 2008, 11:40 AM   #2
simonkenton

My buddy stopped one one time by whistling.
I have never tried to stop one.
Old November 8, 2008, 12:08 PM   #3
sureshots

Hotdogs

Hotdogs you got it. Fawn in distress. I stopped two does on the dead run last week with this call by mouth. As they passed by me(15 feet away) I let out that call(real loud) and one skid to A stop and the other made A quick right and stopped. Result one Doe in the freezer.
Old November 8, 2008, 09:57 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

Hay Buddy, got a light?
Old November 8, 2008, 10:06 PM   #5
rem870hunter

hey quit stomping around can't you see i'm trying to get my beauty sleep. or smile for the birdy and then shoot'em.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:11 PM   #6
roy reali

Try This

"You'll never believe who won the election. You won't have to worry about gunfire soon." This should cause the deer, or any game for that matter, to freeze in their tracks.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Swampghost

The doe bleat seems to turn them every time. I use a can for calling but revert to vocal when my hands are full.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:42 PM   #8
jdscholer

Many times when coyote calling, I have called deer-mulies- right up to us. Does, nice bucks, and entire herds have come, sometimes on the run to my tortured rabbit call, Funniest thing you ever saw. I think it triggers some instinct in them to protect a fawn in distress. I have also tried calling them when they were standing in a field, and they will take off the other direction. I think if they see you, the gig is up and it just scares them away. One time we called a huge buck within 20 yards. We were in full camo, and he wasn't winding us, but he started getting nervous and turned away. When his back was turned, I squawked and he spun around and come even closer. We did this one more time, and could no longer keep from cracking up, and finally spooked him for good. This was in late November, and the buck was a real monster like I've never encountered during the season, but he left me with memories that I'll never forget. jd
Old November 10, 2008, 10:38 AM   #9
ForneyRider

I made a very soft bleat/grunt thingy Saturday.

They were walking quickly and they stopped and looked right at me.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here's one to try. A guy dragging an 8pt told me it works and he'd just used the trick. It's only for running deer....

YELL! I mean LOUD... "HEY!"

Short and fast and LOUD. If the deer doesn't know where you are they will sometimes stop and try to verify the noise. Buys about enough time for a shot.

I did it to a doe that was bounding through the woods. She went by me at probably 15 feet but was running from something else and didn't know I was there. As I brought up my gun, "HEY!", she stopped on a dime and, on continuing, found herself short of breath and laid down for a nap.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Daryl

Lip squeak. It works pretty well for coyotes and bobcats, too.

Daryl
Old November 11, 2008, 09:57 PM   #12
zahnzieh

My What Nice Back-straps You Have- C'mere!!:d
Old November 12, 2008, 02:44 PM   #13
Angler

Anything but a human voice works. They don't like us much.

I do a crappy bleat sound with just my voice holding full at draw and they stop in there tracks. That is until the arrow passes through.

Worked for me many times.
Old November 12, 2008, 03:02 PM   #14
YARDDOG(1)

WATS UP J/K an uuuurp,uuuurp works most time
Old November 12, 2008, 03:22 PM   #15
VaFisher

300 WM speaks and they listen very well.
Old November 24, 2008, 08:26 PM   #16
summerman

just about any noise works.. I do buck call with my voice.. sort of a blaaaaah. It works. whistleing loud has worked for me. What doesn't work is the "sound of you swearing and rifling through your hunitng coat to get the shells you forgot to put in your gun before settling down in your stand as the big buck trots away noise." And the loud and heartfelt enthusiastice "f*** " after doesn't make him come back either. I tried them both. Last Sunday. 3:30 pm. 20 yards, 8 point, enough said. Please don't reply I'll only cry.
Old November 25, 2008, 04:26 AM   #17
troy_mclure

sharp whistle has worked for me several times.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 25, 2008, 06:58 AM   #18
dipper

BANG!!
Old November 25, 2008, 07:19 AM   #19
CPTMurdoc30

Quote:
just about any noise works.. I do buck call with my voice.. sort of a blaaaaah. It works. whistleing loud has worked for me. What doesn't work is the "sound of you swearing and rifling through your hunitng coat to get the shells you forgot to put in your gun before settling down in your stand as the big buck trots away noise." And the loud and heartfelt enthusiastice "f*** " after doesn't make him come back either. I tried them both. Last Sunday. 3:30 pm. 20 yards, 8 point, enough said. Please don't reply I'll only cry.
Atleast you got tosee one. Went out twice and didn't even see as much as a squirrel. not a single thing. I am going to try again tomorrow morning.
Old November 25, 2008, 08:45 AM   #20
DavidZ

I use what I guess you'd call a 'lip squeak' - kinda raise the front lip and suck back on your teeth to make the squeaking. I practiced on a couple does over the past weekend and when the buck finally showed up, I used it to stop him between some trees & take a good shot.
Old November 25, 2008, 05:30 PM   #21
jammin1237

i was 21 and only my 2nd year deer hunt, a doe on a full run coming my way at angle, i was sitting on a chair pack... i stood up and yelled BOO! the damn thing hit the skids and stopped dead in its tracks, i took a shot and missed.....unfortunately many of the hunters in my party heard me shout this and i had endure a full decade of hazing every preseason for it...

i scared it to death!
Old November 25, 2008, 07:25 PM   #22
crowbeaner

I had an old guy about 80 tell me that he whistles or just says "hey deer!" in a firm voice; they stop and try to find the noise. Works for me; I've tried the fawn bleat, and nearly got pounced on by a bobcat once. Claws and my phizzog don't mix very well.
Old November 25, 2008, 08:02 PM   #23
Swampghost

Over the years I've think that I've heard it all.
From an old swamper hunting ground blinds, place about a 1/2" dry stick on a rock and snap it with your foot. It works most of the time.
From another who carried antlers and used low stands, drop the antlers together. It works too.
Grunt calls as long as they leave both hands free or you can pull them off convincingly by mouth.
My favorite is still the bleat by mouth, 'mmaaaaaa'. The dummies just can't seem to resist it.
Old November 26, 2008, 12:34 AM   #24
zahnzieh

Just got done with first shotgun weekend here in illinois - filled both my tags. Shot a 9-pointer the first day, then the second day buck and doe come out ofthe woods early. She came very close to my tree-stand, he's in pursuit of her. I ventilated her neck and she drops like a stone. He's so horned up (11/2 year old fork-horn) he just stands there broad-side for ten minutes! I try whistling to get him to leave - nothing. Finally I lean out of my tree-stand and yell at him: "I HOPE YOU F****** LEARNED YOUR LESSON - NOW GO!" He just looks at me, no alarm, no snort or tail up and casually trots back into the woods! Go figure!
Old November 26, 2008, 05:51 PM   #25
crowbeaner

Oddly enough, I saw a small doe standing on the side of the state route last week. She was really close to the pavement, so I stopped and told her she was too close to the road and might get hit. Her reply? "Mister, if you think I'm going back into those bushes and do that again for 3 bucks, you're nuts!"