The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1
RobertInIowa

Need loads for Ruger Redhawk 7" 44 Mag

Looking for load advice for a stainless Ruger Redhawk 7" stainless 44 Magnum. Any load suggestions would be appreciated.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2
slammedsi

I always used H110. Super Black hawk I have loves the stuff with heavy for caliber bullets.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Ifishsum

+1 for H110, for a full power magnum handgun load it's about all I use. It's happiest right near max, with jacketed bullets and a good crimp. I mostly shoot Hornady 240gr XTP-HP in my RH, although to be fair I haven't bothered to try much else.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Xfire68

Another vote for H110. Good stuff for the .44 mag.

240g XTP's and 23g's of H110.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:54 AM   #5
solocam72

And another vote for H-110, been using it for years with great success in the .44 magnum, I also shoot the 240 grain hornady xtp bullets with 23 grains of H-110, win 296 is virtually the same ballisticly
Old December 27, 2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertInIowa
Need loads for Ruger Redhawk 7" 44 Mag
Looking for load advice for a stainless Ruger Redhawk 7" stainless 44 Magnum. Any load suggestions would be appreciated.
I suggest you consult a loading manual.

If you want GOOD advice, you will have to tell us the task for the load. Hunting? What is the game - what distance, etc.

Target shooting? Casual plinking? Silhouette, Pins, Bullseye?

What kind of bullets?

What have you already tried with which you are dissatisfied?

Help us help you.

Lost Sheep
Old December 27, 2012, 01:45 AM   #7
RobertInIowa

I have lots of manuals mostly listing powders I am unfamiliar with as I most load for rifle (.223) and .40 S&W.

Shooting target at 25 to 50 yards.

Using Montana Gold 240 Grain JSP.

Have not loaded for the gun yet as I was waitiing for suggestions on which powder to use. H110 seems to be very popular, so I am considering starting with it.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:24 AM   #8
solocam72

H-110 is a full tilt magnum powder, I'm sure there are better powder choices for plinking, and target shooting.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:41 AM   #9
Lost Sheep

H110 (and its clone, W296) are powders designed for maximum power levels and do not take to being reduced in power level. The manufacturer's web site specifies not to reduce loads more than 3%. That is a fairly narrow operating window. It tells me that H110 is not very forgiving. But it is a fine propellant to wring maximum performance from a cartridge, especially for hunting or for knockingdown steel silhouettes at distance.

There are many other powders that, if you are interested in medium or light power levels, are much better than H110.

2400 is pretty good for medium to medium-heavy loads

Unique is very good for light to medium loads.

Bullseye is one of the most energy-dense powders I know of (makes it economical).

Trail Boss is my favorite for teaching a novice about reloading. If fills the case well so you can see the powder in the case easily. Great for plinking and for Cowboy Action Shooting Sports (CASS) for which it was designed. At first, Alliant said it was for cast lead only, but since its introduction, it has proved good for plated and for jacketed bullets, too.

Figure out what kind of velocity you want then go into your manuals and see what powders give high and low velocities that bracket that velocity. Make a list and then go and see what is on your dealer's shelves.

For shooting paper with 240 grain bullets, I favor lead or plated SemiWadcutter bullets at 900 to 1200 fps. They are a LOT less expensive than jacketed bullets and do just as well on targets.

If you want gentler-shooting ammunition, you can download into the 44 Special range with the faster powders ("quickness" is the technical term).

My favorites are Unique and Bullseye, but there are plenty others like HP38, HS6, WIN231 that I have heard recommended.

I hope that helps.

To summarize.

H110 has a narrow operating range, and it is at the top of the power levels. I would not start there.

Fast powders like Unique tolerate mid-range and plinking/practice power levels even down into the 44 Special power levels.

Trail Boss is good for moderate power levels and fills the case well.

Pick the velocity you want and find a powder that delivers that velocity.

Plated bullets are fine for paper targets and a lot cheaper than jacketed.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old December 27, 2012, 02:59 AM   #10
RobertInIowa

Thanks Lost Sheep. That was to the point and informative. Between your posts and the others I think I've got a good start on it. Now if I can even find the powders with all the panic buying going on right now.......
Old December 27, 2012, 12:34 PM   #11
kimbers rule

I like 2400 with 240 grn slugs. Its alot mor forgiving than H110 or 296. 18 grns behind a 240 is a good starting point and 22 grns is a good max in my redhawk. H110 and 296 are great powders but they only have 1 to 2 grns between start and max, so they may be a bit much for target shooting. Just remember not to reduce these two powders more than the book sais and use mag primers with them. Oh, and a heavy crimp.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:19 PM   #12
89blazin

I prefer Universal Clays. It has much the same charateristics of Unique and burns a little cleaner. Also like Unique, it can be used for many different loads in many different calibers.
Old December 27, 2012, 07:24 PM   #13
buck460XVR

If one wants to duplicate factory loads for .44 mag, H110/W296 is the propellant to use. While it does not work for reduced loads, it works very well for legitimate .44 magnum rounds and is very safe when used within it's parameters. It measures extremely well, and is impossible to double charge. It fills the case and is easy to see when a case is charged. My most accurate loads in all my magnum calibers use H110/W296. Problems occur with H110/W296 when folks don't follow published guidelines. Starting below minimum loads and not using the recommended magnum primers may cause squibs, thus leaving an obstruction in the barrel for the next round. Don't think one can get enough H110/W296 in a magnum handgun case to blow a gun up by too much pressure, especially a Ruger. Folks that load for Ruger Carbines and DEs many times cannot get their fireartms to cycle with powders other than H110/W2906. Another powder that is very accurate in .44 mag long pipe revolvers, measures extremely well and is virtually impossible to overcharge is IMR4227. My favorite loads with it are just under to slightly compressed. Like 2400 it can be safely downloaded and uses standard primers. Both H110/W296 and IMR4227 like a consistent firm crimp for best accuracy. If you want plinkers.....stick with Unique.