The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 22, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1
HShack

Practical hearing protection recommendation

I have started doing a bit of benchrest shooting and find that my "earmuff" type protection gets in my way. Any recommendations other than using a thinner one?
Old December 22, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Get a set of "Behind the Ear" style electronic plugs.
The prices range from $30 or so if you find a set on eBay, about $80 retail for that same set, up to $350 EACH ($700 pair) for high end digitals.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:38 AM   #3
'88Scrat

A couple of guys at a monster truck show a while ago had some custom molded ear plugs that apparently work very well and didn't break the bank either.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

ZEM, Peltor...

I saw a set of ZEM model ear plugs that looked practical. Check the NRA store; www.nra.org .
A few other brands are out there; Howard Leight, Peltor, etc. USCav.com Cabelas.com & Bass Pro Shops may have a good set of ear muffs or plugs.
UScav sells the milspec/GI type: www.uscav.com .

Happy Holidays;
ClydeFrog
Old December 25, 2012, 02:22 PM   #5
solocam72

There was a lady that would show up now and then at a trap shooting club I use to shoot at often and she made custom molded ear plugs, I think she got 35.00 but don't remember for sure? They looked good and the guys that had them swore by them! She could even do a set that would work with an ipod, several of the trap shooters I knew would wear an ipod to listen to while shooting trap, the ones that did swore it helped them with target panic, and other bad habits? I never tried any myself, I am a timber faller at trade and have always wore plain foam type ear plugs, I have 2 sets of good quality muffs and they work great for pistol shooting but I don't like them at all for my rifles, the muffs get in the way of the buttstock on long guns, at least with me they do. I will stick with my normal ear plugs, I keep a handful of sets in my truck so I've always got hearing protection when I'm out and about, and for my job, try running a stihl 660 magnum with dual ported muffler for 6 hours without hearing protection!
Old December 25, 2012, 05:50 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Custom made ear plugs...

I picked up a great pair of custom made polymer ear plugs at a large gun show in the early 1990s. A audiologist & his wife sold them at gun shows & events.
It was funny. When I went to the display no one was in line, then as gun show patrons saw me having it made, they started to line up.
The plugs were rated to about 39db too. I still use them.