The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2001, 07:46 AM   #1
Glamdring

I mean like an Ackley Improved type that lets you fire standard ammo in the gun, but gives better brass life and ballistics with the improved/fireformed version?
Old June 5, 2001, 11:59 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, the only "improved" version of which I know is Roy Weatherby's blown out & reformed .375 Weatherby.

It's been functionally obsolete for many years, having been replaced in his world with the .378 Wby.

However, I know quite a few people who still like the .375 Wby. quit a bit.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 5, 2001, 04:39 PM   #3
Bud Helms

.375 Mashburn Magnum
.375 Magnum Improved (Ackley)

These are true "improved" cartridges, formed by firing factory .375 H&H rounds in these chambers. Just how "common" they are is, I'm sure, debatable ...
Old June 6, 2001, 08:25 AM   #4
Glamdring

Sensop: Can you give me the main difference [ie pros and cons] between Mashburn and Ackley versions? Mashburn's 7mm is popular [as these types of cartridges go I mean] isn't it?

Do you know where I can go to get the specs and loading data for those two rounds? Would Clymer have the specs for reamers for one or both of those?

Old June 6, 2001, 10:41 AM   #5
Jeff, CA

.375 JRS - 8mm necked up (or .416 necked down).

Old June 6, 2001, 03:47 PM   #6
Bud Helms

I will copy the pages I have and send them to you if you will email me your PO box. I have photos and loads and a short history (paragraph or two), but no dimensions.

There is a Mashburn 7mm Mag Short, based on a shortened .300 H&H Magnum cases and a Mashburn 7mm Mag Long, based on the full-length fire-formed .300 H&H Mag case. Use load data for the 7x61 Sharp & Hart for the short Mashburn 7mm and 7mm Weatherby data for the long Mashburn 7mm.

Clymer will, without a doubt, have the drawings for these chambers, however, the reamers are probably not "stocked" items. They will grind you one, though.

It sounds like you could use a copy of P.O. Ackley's Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders. No case dimensions, but photos for everything, with brief descriptions and some load data.

For what it's worth, if you do get this two volume set (highly recommended) read the chapter on Bore Capacity first.

Differences between the Mashburn and Ackley .375s ... ? Ever try to find a speck of fly poop in a pepper shaker? Not much difference that makes any difference.

sensop
Old June 7, 2001, 01:54 PM   #7
Paul B.

Somewhere, lying around the house, I have an article on improving ther .375 H&H. The writer worked uo the loads in the standard rifle, then improved it, if I remember correctly. After it was over and done with, he decide that there wasn't enough improvment to make the change worth while.
If you're interested, I can try and find it and copy it and send to you via snail mail. It's from an old RIFLE Magazine.
E-mail me your address and I'll look it up.
Paul B.
Old June 12, 2001, 11:55 AM   #8
Glamdring

How old an issue of Rifle? That sounds stragne to me that you couldn't get worthwhile improvement out of the 375 H&H since it has a lot of taper. You can match 375 H&H ballistics by using 338 length brass for a 375-338 wildcat IIRC.
Old June 12, 2001, 05:57 PM   #9
Bud Helms

Glamdring, I totally forgot to send that data. (tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, I repeat to myself) ...
Old June 12, 2001, 08:09 PM   #10
KP95DAO

It is my understanding that Weatherby is making their 375 once again available to the public in a standard issue rifle.
Old June 12, 2001, 10:45 PM   #11
Glamdring

Sensop we will let slide this time...but next time it will be five minutes watching Rosie

Course that reminds me I still need to get some stuff off via snail mail for Spectre
Old June 17, 2001, 06:26 PM   #12
Paul B.

KP95DAO is correct. Weatherby has brought back the .375 Wby.
Back when Warren Page was still alive, he wore out the barrel of his .375 WBY. Old Roy said he would make it into a .378 Wby, but old Warren wisely refused. I guess once old Roy brought out the .378, he not only discontiued barreling rifles for the round, but the round as well. I never could figure out his reasoning on that. Oh well. it's back now, but I don't know for how long. Still, if I were to go that route, I'd go with the Weatherby round, because it is still considered a "factory" round.

Someone posted why there was not any real improvement in "improving" the .375 H&H. I don't remember his reasoning, but I think it dealt with the improvement being tep percent or somewhat less in delivered energy. I'd have to do some digging to find the article, and latelt, time just hasn't been available to do much of anything, shooting or gunwise.
Paul B.
Old June 18, 2001, 01:35 PM   #13
Bud Helms

Glamdring,

In the mail today ...

sensop
Old June 19, 2001, 08:13 AM   #14
Glamdring

thanks Sensop
Old January 8, 2005, 06:29 PM   #15
wily wylie

Weatherby .378 receiver - wanted

I have a .378 W'by bbl, blued w/ Accubrake.

Like to buy a complete receiver, used. Can't afford new.
Consider other W'by receiver, if boltface could be opoened.

I have a nice piece of burl myrtlewood, but would consider a W'by stock,too.
Thanks

Last edited by wily wylie; January 8, 2005 at 09:37 PM. Reason: typo error
Old January 13, 2005, 10:50 AM   #16
PSE

9.55/ 376 steyr gets the same velocity as the 375 H&H w/ the same bullet weight using less of the same powder in a shorter BBL, lighter rifle and w/ less felt recoil and muzzle blast.
i'd call that "improved"
Old January 15, 2005, 03:51 AM   #17
Dusty Miller

What is there about a 300 grain bullet travelling 2700 fps that makes you want to find an "improved" version of this grand old gun? The 375 H&H can kill anything that walks on the planet, only PHs need a bigger gun (to kill the Cape Buffalo that some bozo shot in the butt!).
Old January 24, 2005, 01:43 PM   #18
wyatttt

375 Improved???

I suppose the real question here is what exactly you intend to accomplish. I have loaded and fired many hundreds of round in both the 378 Weath and the H&H. The H&H is very difficult to improve on. It offers bullets with very good BC's, excellent accuracy and manageable recoil energy. What the Weatherby will do beyond the H&H (and it will) it does so at a terrible price! I own a 505 Gibbs and a 470 NE and neither of them even come close to the violent jolt of the 378. Beyond that, if all your talking about with a wildcat is a few grains more efficient on the powder consumption or 100-200 fps faster on the velocity.....the net gain really isn't there.

Wyatttt