The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 22, 2005, 05:59 PM   #1
kesserman

Trigger finger where?

Is there a difference between keeping your index finger 'straight' along the frame

or

Is it okay to let your wrap around the outside of the trigger guard?

Anytime I see the guys in Iraq, their finger is straight along the frame. Is there a tactical advantage as opposed to curving it around the outside of the guard? (assuming their fingers are long enough)

I'm assuming straight because you have to make the conscious effort to bend your finger to manipulate the trigger.

Trying to build the right form.

Thanks
Old December 22, 2005, 06:29 PM   #2
stevelyn

The Alaska DPS Academy teaches finger extended high along the slide.
As a certified police firearms instructor teaching the same curriculum, I teach the same thing.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 22, 2005, 06:45 PM   #3
craigntx

on the f'n trigger
it takes a conscious effort to PULL THE TRIGGER

its a GLOCK... not a `1911
Old December 22, 2005, 06:53 PM   #4
tjhands

Craigntx, not sure if you are serious or not. In a combat situation (war, home defense, whatever) if you think it always takes a CONSCIOUS effort to pull a trigger - Glock or otherwise - you have another thing coming.
Picture yourself walking down the hallway in the dark after hearing a bump in the night. Your finger is on the trigger and the gun is at the ready. You are scared and your adrenal glands are practically squirting their juice into your system. Your daughter suddenly jumps out in front of you to ask what is going on. What you'll likely experience is an unconscious trigger pull, a bang, and a dead child.

Again, I wasn't sure if you were joking or not.........
Old December 22, 2005, 07:17 PM   #5
craigntx

no daughter, chicks back in bed
if i had a house fulla rugrats, things might be diff.
Old December 22, 2005, 07:37 PM   #6
miconoakisland

I press my index finger hard into the side of the trigger guard with my first (closest to the tip) knuckle bent. It takes nothing to get it on the trigger, but it is not enough to actually pull it, and it takes up most of the slack, but my finger is on the trigger and ready if I need to bend the middle knuckle.

Now, I am not in Iraq, where I am patrolling for hours either. This is the method I use for discerning yes or no targets at the range and for "bump in the night" occassions.

Look at just about anyone "patrolling" with a rifle and I would guess the finger is along the frame and not wrapped aroung the trigger guard. My guess is because you'd be jumpy enough and on edge and that's the way they were taught and it is easier to see by everyone else that you are carrying safely and that your finger isn't on the trigger!

FWIW
Old December 22, 2005, 07:41 PM   #7
OneInTheChamber

Straight finger, it seems more natural to me.

Craigntx: I thank God I don't live in your house. I hope you consider being more safe; I'd rather give up .25 a sec. to a BG than shoot someone I didn't want to.

Chase
Old December 22, 2005, 08:15 PM   #8
craigntx

ive seen your pic
you aint sexy enough to live here
Old December 22, 2005, 08:23 PM   #9
pax

kesserman ~

Train yourself to keep your trigger finger straight and touching the frame above the trigger guard.

The reason for this is that if your finger is resting on the trigger guard and you trip, slip, or are startled by something, your entire hand, including your trigger finger, will reflexively clench shut.

If your trigger finger is in line with the trigger when that happens, you're at a high risk for an ND. But if it is above the trigger, and already firmly against the frame, you're a lot less likely to have a startle-reflex ND.

pax
Old December 22, 2005, 08:32 PM   #10
kesserman

PAX.....

Sold!

Thanks
Old December 22, 2005, 09:25 PM   #11
USP45usp

Here are some pics. Please excuse the house, I'm single (and that IS my excuse! ):

And yes, I hold the guns this way every time that I hold them, this was not done for "see, I follow the rules". If it were, I wouldn't have taken them while the house was this dirty .

Wayne

*Oh: Top picture FM 9mm
Bottom picture, new Taurus I just bought today: M85UL .38spl
Old December 22, 2005, 09:45 PM   #12
azurefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx
no daughter, chicks back in bed
if i had a house fulla rugrats, things might be diff.

Wow. It seems to me that you regard yourself as outside the scope of all the traditional training admonitions that we get handed down through the generations. "Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire." I'm sure that practice has saved countless lives. I'm also pretty sure that they arrived at that being one of the Big Four for a very good reason.

Do you really feel you are above doing things the safe way? Are you infallible or something?

-azurefly
Old December 22, 2005, 09:49 PM   #13
threefivesevenmag

Along Slide.

Finger along slide, higher position. Pax said it best.

Avoid NDs at all costs. Stay safe. It's not a joking matter, even without children.
Old December 22, 2005, 09:49 PM   #14
shep854

Massad Ayoob teaches a third finger set: trigger finger curved and pressed against the frame above the trigger (sort of like what miconoakisland described). His rationale is that this provides leverage against a gun grab, and is quicker to the trigger if necessary.
Old December 27, 2005, 02:38 AM   #15
miconoakisland

Dang Wayne!

If we see much more of that "dirty" house in those pics my girl's gonna make me vacuum!
Old December 27, 2005, 11:14 AM   #16
springmom

you have GOT to be kidding....!

[quote]on the f'n trigger
[quote]

The sound you hear is the hysterical laughter coming from Spring, Texas. Who are you KIDDING? Did you even READ that (now thankfully LOCKED) thread about the ND my idjit Youngest Son had???? Do you think that was conscious effort? No...it was STUPID. And every human being on the planet is capable of being STUPID. That's why you keep your finger OFF the "f'n trigger".

The four rules are great but I still think the best one is found in somebody's sig line:

keep your finger off the trigger
keep your finger off the @#$#@$ trigger
keep your @$@#$@ finger off the @#$@#$@ trigger....

For everybody's sake! Yours, girlfriend's, next-door neighbors....

If a load of Sure-Shot heavy dove load can go through our CEILING, our ROOF, and sprinkle itself around the yard, what do you think a round from your Glock will do when, not if, you trip, sneeze, cough, are surprised, or something else startling, and you are holding it with your finger on the trigger?

And some of you guys wondered why I posted our ND experience. It is so people could hopefully LEARN that you can't be too careful....

Springmom the amazed

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 27, 2005, 11:37 AM   #17
XLT

Quote:
you aint sexy enough to live here
Uhh...are we talking about the same Galveston here? Sexy and Galveston don't belong in the same sentence without a superlative negation.
Old December 27, 2005, 05:20 PM   #18
Steve in PA

"Massad Ayoob teaches a third finger set: trigger finger curved and pressed against the frame above the trigger (sort of like what miconoakisland described). His rationale is that this provides leverage against a gun grab, and is quicker to the trigger if necessary."

Oh please, this guy farts and people run around thinking he's the greatest.

How is having the tip of the finger instead of the whole finger, better leverage???

Placing the trigger finger anywhere on the trigger guard is a disaster waiting to happen. It is way too easy for your finger to slip and be in cocntact with the trigger. Try it sometime, how easy is it for your finger to move as compared to being pressed against the frame/slide? Where is your finger going to go when its along the frame/slide? Now where.
Old December 27, 2005, 05:23 PM   #19
gddyup

On target, On trigger.

Off target, OFF trigger!

As Pax mentioned, having your trigger finger on the side of the slide or frame reduces the possibility of reflexing your finger into the trigger. Having the trigger finger out front of the guard puts it directly in line with the trigger and could result in a discharge if you were to fall, get spooked, sneeze, whatever. Side of the slide is probably the best place for that finger unless you are on target and ready to fire.

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old December 28, 2005, 12:57 AM   #20
shep854

Massad Ayoob's contention is that rigger so pressed gives more leverage against twisting a gun away than a straight finger.
Old December 28, 2005, 03:02 AM   #21
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigintx
on the f'n trigger

its a GLOCK... not a `1911
You're the only one in this room professional enough to handle the "glock .40" right?

I only ask because I've seen people say that just before they shot themselves in the foot with it - maybe you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I highly doubt that person was making a conscious effort to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLT
Uhh...are we talking about the same Galveston here? Sexy and Galveston don't belong in the same sentence without a superlative negation.
Unless you have a thing for the Portuguese Man-of-war. Then it's a utopia.
Old December 28, 2005, 03:14 AM   #22
pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep854
Massad Ayoob's contention is that rigger so pressed gives more leverage against twisting a gun away than a straight finger.
Which is true, as far as it goes. I've seen & participated in the demonstration, and he convinced me -- if someone is trying to grab your gun, you've probably got a lot more leverage to retain the gun if your finger is bent than if it is straight. And getting it grabbed that way hurts less, too.

However. If my gun is out and someone is reaching to grab it, you know where I want my trigger finger to be? I'll give you a hint: it ain't on the frame no more.

pax
Old December 28, 2005, 03:20 AM   #23
Para Bellum

in the eye

Poke your trigger finger straight and hard into your opponents eye and the day is yours!

So much for serious comments.
Old December 28, 2005, 03:22 AM   #24
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para Bellum
Poke your trigger finger straight and hard into your opponents eye and the day is yours!
LOL. Ammo saver mode.
Old December 28, 2005, 05:44 AM   #25
Ozzieman

There are reasions for not placing it in front of the trigger guard

The main one is that when you pull with your trigger finger some people can not stop pulling with there other finger and if its on the front of the trigger guard it will pull the gun of aim.
I forget what the term used for this is but its somthing like "Memory trigger" somthing like that. For some this is a problem for others its not.
The best thing is to choose what feels best and what works best.
For me the weak hand index is always on the front of the guard.