The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2010, 02:48 PM   #1
charlie156

help

I have 1500 155 gr. 45 auto ctf bullets cu/sn frangible that I got for free what can I do with them as far as reloading and what can I except for fps and range?
Old May 15, 2010, 03:01 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Well, the Lee reloading manual lists a couple of loads for bullets that weight, with ranges from 880 feet per second to 1041 feet per second.

As far as range, just about any loading will put a bullet a mile or two downrange, but that's not exactly a useful range. If you're talking about loading these for a pistol, any load you choose will probably result in a round that's effective out further than you can aim.
Old May 15, 2010, 03:21 PM   #3
charlie156

help

thanks but could you also tell me what the ctf part means? and also the cu/sn frangible means I am used to things like rn and lswc thanks again.
Old May 15, 2010, 03:27 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

I don't know what "CTF" stands for, but it's part of the name of the bullet - the "Disintegrator CTF"

The "frangible" part means that the bullets are designed to break apart shortly after impact. This can reduce the possible dangers from ricochet and over-penetration.

The "Cu" and "Sn" are the atomic symbols for Copper and Tin respectively. That's what the bullets are made from, rather than the traditional copper-jacketed lead.
Old May 15, 2010, 03:33 PM   #5
ScottRiqui

One other thing - since tin and copper are both less-dense than lead, your bullets may be longer than a jacketed or cast-lead bullet of equivalent weight. As such, using load recipes (and their recommended overall length) for jacketed or cast bullets might result in the bullet being too far down in the casing, causing higher-than expected pressure.

I would look around on the web and see if you can find anything about loading frangible bullets, or just give Remington a call.
Old May 15, 2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

CTF is Copper Tin Frangible. These are designed to disintegrate without splashing lead all over the place. They are made by a scintering process, so they are actually particles pressed together to shape, then heated to fuse them. They have some empty space between particles, so they are less dense than either constituent metal. As a result, ballistic coefficient is very low, so they don't fly well over a great distance. They also are longer for their weight than lead bullets, which means they leave less space in the case for powder, so their charges will be lower than lead bullets of the same weight would use to reach the same pressure.

The only ones I have in QuickLOAD are made by Scinterfire. Their 155's loaded with the old standby charge of 5 grains of Bullseye will run at about 11,000 psi and 800-900 fps from a 5" barrel, depending on your chamber dimensions. 6 grain charge of Bullseye looks like it will produce a middling .45 ACP pressure of around 15,000 psi and get the bullet to the 1000 fps+ range.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 15, 2010, 03:42 PM   #7
charlie156

thanks so much you have just made my day! I will measure each one for length and seat accordling
Old May 15, 2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

OAL and Case volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie156
thanks so much you have just made my day! I will measure each one for length and seat accordling
You probably already know to check this, but in the interest of full disclosure and coverage, here goes:

If you seat the bullet to give the same volume as similar-weight bullets of other construction, you may find the overall length (OAL) to be longer than your action can feed well, resulting in jams, or even unable to fit in your magazine.

The alternative is to seat to a reasonable overall length, observe the reduction in case volume and reduce the powder charge accordingly.

Don't ask me how to calculate that. It is beyond my ken, but with enough research, I think it would be quite possible to work out.

On the other hand, you might be able to find a bullet of the same weight and length (if it has a large hollowpoint cavity) and simply use its data.

Lost Sheep

P.S. (edit) For sure, you want to make certain there is enough contact between the case walls and the sides of the bullet to ensure the bullet is secure within the case.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; May 15, 2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add postscript
Old May 15, 2010, 04:18 PM   #9
charlie156

sounds like this is bullet is more for safety at the range shooting 50 feet and might not be something i could get a group out of i am glad i got them for free. thanks for your comments i will measure and weigh each one before i load them that should help.