The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2011, 02:54 AM   #1
TheKlawMan

Citori XS Skeet or XS Special

I am trying to figure out the differences between two current Citori models with adjustable combs; the XS Skeet and the XS Special in 12 gauge w 30" barrels.

I believe the primary physical differences are that the Skeet is 1/2 inch longer, at 8 lbs. 4 oz. weighs 6 ounces less and has nicer wood than, and a different rib than the Special. The Skeet has a 3/8" rib and the Special has a rib that tapers from 7/16" down to 5/16". The Skeet comes with two skeet chokes and the Special includes 5 in various constrictions. Both are parallel rib stocks with the same LOP and drop at comb. I believe that the Skeet's rib is higher than the low rib of the Special. Both have the same trigger system. Have I missed any primary physical differences?

What it all boils down to is which makes for a better gun for skeet and trap. I am particularly wondering if the Special, despite Browning marketing, may be starting to get to be a bit heavy for skeet. It weighs in with the same lenth barrels at 1 once less than the XD Trap w adjustable.
Old October 20, 2011, 04:54 AM   #2
Bailey Boat

I believe the Special was aimed at the Sporting Clays market....
Old October 20, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Slugo

both guns are...

just about 99% identical. It's a matter of marketing!!
Old October 20, 2011, 11:31 AM   #4
BigJimP

You have the differences ...but a couple of minor things...

XS Skeet comes with 3 chokes / all flush - one IC, and 2 Skeet. It is about 8 oz or 1/2 lb lighter than the XS Special. In online catalog it is a Grade II / III stock ...but many of them are grade III / IV ... The XS Skeet has a satin / but shinier finish on it than the XS Special. In the printed catalog - the XS Skeet is listed as a grade III/IV stock.

XS Special in online catalog is 1/2" shorter - and it comes with 5 extended Midas Grade chokes Cyc, IC, Mod, IM, Full ....and every XS Special I've seen is a Grade I stock ( with a matt finish on it that looks very drab). I don't know why its shorter ...maybe its a mis-print in the catalog / ...in their printed 2011 catalog they have the XS Special as 47 3/4" long ..and the XS Skeet as 47 1/2" long ...so I'd ignore overall length as an issue.

Mechanically they are the same ...the Midas chokes are about $ 50 each ...and the standard flush Invector plus chokes are about $ 30 each.

I would add whatever you need, with either gun, so you have a pair of Cyclinder, a pair of IC, a pair of Mod, a single Imp Mod, a single Full. I like the Midas grade - extended. But there is a Diana grade, as well ...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...ng-accessories

List price on both models is $ 3,600 and I see them selling for about the same price. Personally, I like the XS Skeet model - a little better / based solely on appearance grade III / IV stock vs grade I is a big difference...

Last edited by BigJimP; October 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old October 20, 2011, 01:07 PM   #5
oneounceload

My 20 gauge target gun is the Ultra XS, similar to the XS special - neutral cast, 30" barrels, not a bad gun

Which one FITS, TKM?
Old October 20, 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Thanks. As far as function, I don't know if I need the extra weight of the Special. While the true cost of the Skeet is $200 more, since the Special has more chokes. When it comes to appearances, I like the wood on the Skeet. Any preferences as to a high or low post rib or a tapered rib?
Old October 20, 2011, 01:33 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Oneounce, That fit issue is a major bugaboo for me. The Beretta and the Casear Guerini's seem to fit better, but then I am used to shooting an entirely different gun; the 870 with its angled synthetic stock. I am embarassed to say that I haven't tried an XS Special and I really should, but I really just started thinking about one as there is very little else with a parallel stock in the moderate price range.

As things stand, I am awaiting the release of the Citori 725 before finally biting the bullet, I mean shot shell.

On that Ultra XS, I am pretty certain that was the consignment gun Triple B was selling. This one was a 12 gauge and the idiot behind the counter (I am pod at him for other reasons) said it was an older version of the XS Skeet. One of the owners corrected him and said it was more of a Sporter. It had a Schabel. Nice gun. The asking price was $2,200 amd I was interested but would want to carefully check it for galling (sp?)

Last edited by TheKlawMan; October 20, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old October 20, 2011, 02:50 PM   #8
BigJimP

You should probably look at the Browning Cynergy Classic Trap as well ...available in 30" - and almost the same spec as the other 2 models. List price on the Cynergy is a little higher at $ 4,270 but I suspect the street price is about the same.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...-comb-firearms

Just trying to add to your confusion ...
Old October 20, 2011, 03:11 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Just trying to add to your confusion ...
Leaky sponge alert! You are so good at adding to my confusion, but it doesn't take much these days. I have the 2011 Catalog in front of me and to me it looks like pretty gun. I have a couple of questions that I wouldn't trust any gun salesman to answer.

It's a trap gun and that usually means a sloping rib and a higher poi. Would I run into a problem if I were to try to adjust the comb so as to lower the poi or does it shoot flat with the comb down?

I thought Browning proviced little info on the Citori. It is even less for Cynergy.
Old October 20, 2011, 04:23 PM   #10
BigJimP

I don't know if you can drop it down far enough to make it shoot 50% / 50% or not ....and probably the only way you could find out is talk to someone that has one.

But if that's not possible ( and I don't see many of them around ..) so I guess I'd try shouldering one in a store ...with the comb all the way down ...and see what you see ( mid bead to front bead - is it a figure 8 ) ...and compare what you see to an XS Skeet and an XS Special with the adj comb all the way down ..( are they fig 8's or not ) ....but it means you need to get to a big retailer - maybe Cabelas or someone like that - that will have all 3 guns in stock...so you can really compare them.

I know you're thrifty .../ but I wouldn't suggest buying this gun off the internet...you need to hold and look at them and see how they feel ...and since the Cynergy isn't that popular a model ...maybe just exclude it at a list price of $ 4,270 ...but I bring it up because you like that "slimmer feel" of the Italian guns ... There has to be someone in southern CA that has all 3 in stock ...( there are retailers up here that have them ..)...
Old October 20, 2011, 06:45 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

I figured you just wanted to give me the option of considering the Cynergy. I agree with the general consensus that all but the classic model is literally butt ugly.

As for the internet, I got a price from able.ammo on a xs skeet today and then I called the Bass Pro that is about 45 miniutes away. Bass Pro quoted me a decent price to buy staight of their shelf, unlike local dealers that are all hard nosed on price.

I actually looked at one when I last demo'd guns and I was taken aback by the thing between the fore end and the barrel

The more I think about it, it would be almost insane not to wait to see the new 725 which should be out in less than a month. Whether they will only first come out with a replacement to the 625 or for the XS Skeet, I have no idea.

Triple B not only has all three in stock..
Old October 21, 2011, 11:50 AM   #12
BigJimP

what thing between the forend and the barrel ...??? what the heck are you talking about ...?? There is a connection lug ...

Yes, I was just trying to give you some options ...and sure, waiting to see a 725 is probably a good idea ...but it won't be a parallel comb gun ..! It may have an adj comb ...but it won't change the angle ..just like the current 625 series....or at least, I'd be shocked if they change that approach on that series.