The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 9, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1
WVsig

Recently moved from VA to KY is my VA permit valid in KY?

I recently move to KY from VA. I have to wait for 6 months to get a KY permit. My VA permit is a resident permit but it is my understanding that a VA CHP is valid even if you move within the state or even out of state. VA does not require that you change your address on the CHP if you move. VA will not convert a resident permit to a non-resident but again have read that it is still valid even after moving out of state. I am going to call the VA state police to verify.

Wondering if I am still legal in the state of KY until I can get my KY permit? I have already gotten a KY drivers lic. Thoughts?
Old March 10, 2014, 08:11 AM   #2
noelf2

Sounds like you've done half the work. You need to research the carry laws in Kentucky now. Personally, I'd open carry for the 6 months up until the time I could get a Ky conceal carry permit. Kentucky is an open carry state, and law enforcement is well aware of it (just like Virginia).
Old March 10, 2014, 05:04 PM   #3
KyJim

PM previously sent.
Old March 10, 2014, 06:02 PM   #4
WVsig

Thanks KYJim our PMs partially prompted this post. From what I been able to confirm the VA permit is good until expired. They will not allow it to be renewed but it is still valid even if I do not live in VA.

KY recognizes VA permits so I believe I should be good to go until I can take the KY class and get my KY permit.