The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 18, 2008, 12:37 PM   #1
bluedog

.44 Rem Mag for Black Bear

Folks,
I have a model 629 S&W classic hunter with open sights....I'm going black bear hunting in Maine at the end of this month (August)....hunting over bait.....close shots. What do you think about using the Speer 270 grain Gold Dot SP out of the 629 for Maine Black Bear?
Thanks,
Billy
Old August 18, 2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Water-Man

I think you had better hit the bear in the right place or you might be in trouble.
Old August 18, 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
davlandrum

Less than 1 hour for bullet proof bear post, new record

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 18, 2008, 04:08 PM   #4
W. C. Quantrill

The caliber and the load is certainly capable, the question is, are you?

Hit the range or field and put a few hundred rounds through the pistol so that you have the confidence without shakes of putting the bullet into the fatal zone. Study the bears anatomy, it is not quite the same as a deer.

Good luck
Old August 19, 2008, 03:38 AM   #5
guntotin_fool

Even the standard JSP 240's work good on black bear. I would ask what size they are shooting, you might find they think a 200 pounder is a big bear.....

My daughter used standard 240 jsp remingtons to shoot a nice UP mich black bear with a 94 trapper, bullet worked just fine, in and out thru the chest.
Old August 21, 2008, 01:30 PM   #6
CraigC

While I've never used one on bear, the 270gr Golt Dot is an excellent big game bullet. Far tougher than any 240-250gr jacketed bullet on the market.
Old August 22, 2008, 06:57 AM   #7
Jack O'Conner

Black bear has a thicker chest wall than whitetail deer but certainly not armor plated. I'm certain 44MAG is adequate. But shooting open sights in fading light at dusk could be a problem.

This photo was taken in Pocono Mts of eastern Pennsylvania last summer. Our daughter worked there at a Christian Camp for the summer.

Jack

Old August 28, 2008, 12:34 AM   #8
sc928porsche

Although the 44 mag is capable of taking bear, it would not be my first choice. Most rifles have more power than the pistols. If you do decide to hunt with one, please have someone there with a good rifle to back you up.

I have taken one bear with my 44, but it wasnt by choice. I always carry the 44 in the field whether I am hunting, fishing, or just hiking.

Enjoy your hunting trip.
Old August 28, 2008, 01:07 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Didn't a certain well-known historical figure take a LARGE number of black bears with a single shot .36 caliber blackpowder rifle?

A .44 Mag with a bigger, heavier, faster bullet should do at least as well as that, one would think better even...
Old August 28, 2008, 09:16 AM   #10
crowbeaner

Were I to hunt bear with a revolver, I'd want a hardcast SWC with a heaping amount of WW 296 under it. I want them bleeding on 2 fronts, and hardcast is the way to go. My all around load for hunting with my Redhawk was the RCBS 44-240-SWC over 25.0 of 296. It is just about the best weight vs. velocity loading I used. These days if I'm in the woods I carry my '06 so the revolver isn't an option. I've never tried the 270 Speer load; I'll have to defer to those that have. IIRC a Maine guide took several bears with a .41 Blackhawk and the RP factory JSP loading. He said it dribbles them like a basketball.
Old September 4, 2008, 12:23 AM   #11
countryrebel

The 270s will work just fine. I use 240 xtp's.
Old September 4, 2008, 05:56 AM   #12
fivepaknh

Bluedog,
Where are you going? I'll be in Maine this weekend going the same thing. Are guide companies name is Swayback Camps in Eustis, ME. We'll be hunting over bait. It'll be my son's first black bear hunt. He's using a 12 ga slug, but I'll have my 44 mag, a Ruger Super Redhawk as backup.

Last edited by fivepaknh; September 4, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old September 4, 2008, 08:08 AM   #13
ringworm

easy.
is that the load you want if the only shot you get is quartering away at 65 yards on the biggest bruin in the state?
Old September 4, 2008, 09:01 AM   #14
fivepaknh

Bluedog is hunting off of bait like I am. I know my shots will be 15-18 yards with the bear eating peacefully on the bait. I've only taken one before and at the same distance. It's an easy shot.
Old September 5, 2008, 06:39 AM   #15
ringworm

Quote:
I know my shots will be 15-18 yards with the bear eating peacefully on the bait.
no, you hope shots will be ...
what about that big bruin that you see off at 50-60 yards who wont come in and you know will make record book?
your going to pass?
Most will take the shot anyway.
I dont walk into the woods with the idea in my mind that all is going to fall into some perfect little slot. I prepare and equip myself for the worst case. long shot, quartering away, in brush, rain, wind, ect ect.
If you hit the stand with the idea that its going to be sunny and 72 degrees and that the bear is going to come in and sit at 17 yards broadside then he's going to run towards the truck before he dies (on a smooth trail) you are setting yourself up for failure.
sure hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
USE A HEAVY TOUGH BULLET!!!
cast lead would be perfect.
too much gun is a minor sin...
Old September 5, 2008, 09:09 AM   #16
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlandrum
Less than 1 hour for bullet proof bear post, new record
Hahahaha!, good one.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you're shooting down at an angle, bullet trajectory changes. If you're shooting up or down at an angle, the bullet will hit just a bit higher than it will if you're shooting flat.
Old September 5, 2008, 11:03 AM   #17
ringworm

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that if you're shooting down at an angle, bullet trajectory changes. If you're shooting up or down at an angle, the bullet will hit just a bit higher than it will if you're shooting flat.
really?
at 15 yards?
Old September 7, 2008, 11:33 PM   #18
Tom Matiska

Post hunt report?????
Old September 8, 2008, 12:16 AM   #19
.300 Weatherby Mag

I can't hit the broadside of barn with a handgun .. I recommend this...
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...bore/1895G.asp
Old September 8, 2008, 07:45 AM   #20
wyobohunter

+1 Ringworm

I use the Cast performance (same bullet Buffalo Bore uses) in both my 45-70 and 500S&W.
Old September 10, 2008, 07:09 AM   #21
fivepaknh

Quote:
no, you hope shots will be ...
what about that big bruin that you see off at 50-60 yards who wont come in and you know will make record book?
your going to pass?
This is the thick stuff. You can't see 50-60 yards. Even if I could if a bear was outside my range and it wouldn't come in then I don't get a bear. No big deal.
Old September 16, 2008, 06:48 PM   #22
Mannlicher

I killed my first, and only black bear with a Ruger flat top .44 Mag Blackhawk. The load was a handloaded 240 grain Speer SP.
I kill a lot of hogs with the 270 grain Speer GDSP now, and if one of those will go end to end through a 400 pound hog, it will do just fine on a black bear.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 16, 2008, 10:49 PM   #23
Tuckahoe

You will need to pratice with the load you will be using. An 8 inch paper plate will tell you your range limits. I like using a Super Redhawk for heavy loads like the +P+ .44 mag. loads. The 500 S&W would be a better option even over bait.