The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 14, 2006, 10:11 PM   #26
Doug.38PR

Seems to me guns would be prone to getting hung up under t-shirts and untucked shirts if you were trying to get to it quickly. I had a LEO tell me of such an occurance with a punk who kept his pistol in his waistband under his shirt.
Old March 14, 2006, 11:32 PM   #27
CyberSEAL

I usually carry a Firestar 9mm, love it, excellent reliable carry piece. Summertime carry seems easiest to me as I'm always dressed casual w/ my shirttails out. I carry IWB, right front lower abdomen. I usually wear a t-shirt under my button-up shirt and tuck it in behind the gun to absorb any sweat that would collect on the pistol.
Old March 15, 2006, 07:11 AM   #28
threegun

Steelheart, That pack is hugh. I use the typical style like this uncle mikes

Bianchi and blackhawk make cool ones also

Old March 15, 2006, 10:51 AM   #29
FirearmFan

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions. I guess its time to do a little shopping. I already have a good belt and decent holster (kramer IWB) The problem is I am 6'3" 228lbs and carry around the 4 - 4:30 mark. The butt of the pistol sticks out a little if I bend over slightly. I am going to try and get flat mag plates and see if that helps fix the situation while I get some new appearal as well.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

357. sig 229R
HK p2000 in .40
Old March 15, 2006, 01:08 PM   #30
knightkrawler00

I'm another tall skinny guy, but concealing full size guns isn't an issue. A 1911 with magwell in a Sparks Summer Special II, a spare mag, and a Glock 17 in the cheap plastic Glock holster, all on a Sparks belt hides very well under just an untucked t-shirt that is one size too big. Darker colors work the best. I started carrying this way when I began helping a friend with a beginner's level defensive handgun course. I could show an IWB and an OWB, FBI cant and straight drop, and also that concealing guns isn't that difficult with a little thought and preperation. It amazed me that most in the class never noticed or considered the fact that I may be carrying, even though I was helping out the instructor at a defensive handgun course. The looks on the faces of the students always gets to me when the shirt gets lifted for show and tell time . It stands to reason that most of the people out doing whatever in their own little world will never notice anything, even if you are printing a little bit.
Old March 16, 2006, 01:14 PM   #31
Derius_T

Quote:
As mentioned before in this thread. If I can't dress around it I don't carry and I don't carry if I'm fairly sure I won't need it.
Forgive me for not remembering who posted this, but WHY in the world would you not carry? I'd rather be uncomfortable or hot in the summer than without my weapon. And how in the hell can you ever be 'fairly sure' you won't need it? Do you have a crystal ball? YOU NEVER KNOW, and have NO WAY TO RELIABLY JUDGE, when and if something is about to happen. PERIOD. People have been shot and killed in CHURCH! Always be prepaired. You never know when fate will decide to make you or yours a victim.....
Old March 16, 2006, 08:07 PM   #32
Rightwinger

Quote:
YOU NEVER KNOW, and have NO WAY TO RELIABLY JUDGE, when and if something is about to happen. PERIOD. People have been shot and killed in CHURCH!
Which is why Washington's listing of; "Churches" as a prohibited CCW location, confuses me to this day.
Old March 16, 2006, 10:34 PM   #33
Anthony2

Absolutely Everything Prints!!!

Ares45- Thanks for the tip...I'm 6'3" 145-150lbs and have a very hard time find clothing that fits well, much less that won't print...

Although I have a question:
My job requires at the least: Dress Pants, Dress Shirt, and in most cases a tie. My soon to be CC is a Springfield XD-9 any advice?

It would have to be something that would be suitable for alot of moving, bending, lifting, etc.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 18, 2006, 12:09 AM   #34
rmagill

Anthony2,

While it may not normally be the best solution, perhaps an ankle holster would work well. You don't have to worry about it printing while you are doing whatever you do at work. The only issue is how accessable the gun would be, but if it is the only thing that won't print, it would be better than nothing.
Old March 18, 2006, 11:45 AM   #35
DonR101395

I live in FL and carry my G19 in a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. IWB under a t-shirt year round. I will occasionally use a fanny pack if I'm wearing shorts without a belt. i.e. swimtrunks
Old March 19, 2006, 05:02 PM   #36
delta58

Rightwinger, I use a DeSantis "Tuck This" IWB.
http://www.desantisholster.com/n91.html
I usually wear my shirt open and untucked ala "Miami Vice", but when I have to tuck it in it works pretty well. I have thought about going to the fanny pack, but man I don't know if i can do that. Plus any man I see with a fanny pack makes me think "GUN".
Old March 19, 2006, 06:15 PM   #37
USNavy_233

Slacks or shorts with a Hawaiian shirt over my IWB holster. Make sure the Hawaiian shirt is nice a loose. No one will notice because after all, it's a Hawiian shirt, they're supossed to be loose. And I find that the multiple patterns help break up any possible printing that might occur.
Old March 19, 2006, 07:31 PM   #38
dawg23

Firearm Fan:

This isn't really as hard as you think.

I carry a Glock 19 and a Comp-Tac paddle (outside the waistband) holster. I am 6'0", 160 lb and it gets as hot and humid down here in South Louisiana as it does almost anywhere in the US.

I used to think I had to wear a button up type shirt with a long shirt tail pulled out. Then I noticed that my younger son (same build, same pistol, same holster) just pulls out the shirt tail of his tee shirt or golf shirt. If he wears a dark or patterned shirt that doesn't hug his waist, the Glock is virtually indetectable. This is what I now wear in the summertime (of course, a dark or patterned buttun up shirt with the tail left out works equally well).

It is VERY helpful to wear a GOOD belt (do a search for 'The Beltman" in North (?) Carolina. It is IMPERATIVE that you get a holster that hugs your waist. Forget the Uncle Mikes and the Fobus for this application. The Blade Tech and the Comp-Tac are MUCH better at fitting snugly.
Old March 19, 2006, 11:29 PM   #39
joneb

For myself in warm weather I gun down to a J frame snub or ppk size auto. I'm thinking about a NAA .22 mag. sm. s.a. wheel gun ?
Old March 20, 2006, 12:30 AM   #40
Anthony2

"Plus any man I see with a fanny pack makes me think "GUN"."

I don't see the problem with that... ...

If BG's used the same logic, then all the tourists would be safe!

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old May 28, 2007, 09:59 AM   #41
fattyhoon

little odd but works for me

I carry a HK p2000 year round, via iwb left handed holster slid to the center of y back for right handed draw. never really casued me any problems and is comfortable for all day carry as well as sitting in car or chair.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:37 AM   #42
OJ

There's a Colt Government Model 45 in an IWB under that T-shirt that is well concealed.

Distracting logo on the T-shirt helps also. This one states "ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, & FIREARMS SHOULD BE A CONVENIENCE STORE - NOT A GOVERNMENT AGENCY".

Works for me.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; May 28, 2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Edited to show my "little" girl is pretty and not alone in the back of the Pilot
Old May 28, 2007, 12:09 PM   #43
Corik Jasra

Quote:
Distracting logo on the T-shirt helps also.
I think that monstrosity of a canine in the back seat is distracting enough!

You can always rely on that trusty Colt Government model if feeding the bad guys to your pet somehow fails
Old May 28, 2007, 01:29 PM   #44
OJ

[QUOTE][I think that monstrosity of a canine in the back seat is distracting enough!
/QUOTE]

HEY !!!

How can you call Charley's sweet and pretty little sister, Katie, a "monstrosity".

Here's big bro-

and - together -

Just to keep my post "on thread", here I am in an Airhead (BMW motorcycle club) sweat shirt concealing the same 1911 Colt 45 - guarding my "family".

Hard to know which of my girls is the prettiest.

Old May 28, 2007, 02:03 PM   #45
BillCA

OJ - obviously the one in the blue shirt!

Breeder note: One doesn't worry about Mastiffs eating people. Mostly they drown from slobber & drool when pinned down by 180 lbs of playful dog.

Summer CCW:
1. A good belt & holster
2. A tucked in t-shirt with some kind of non-gun logo (Team Honda, dog photo, etc.)
3. Unbuttoned short sleeve shirt with non-linear print or pattern.

Notes on your cover garment:
  • Shirt should reach the pockets of your jeans to cover waist.
  • Shirts with low pockets near the waist allow carry of a mag or speed strip to keep the wind from lifting it. Also helps you sweep it away when drawing.
  • Non-Linear patterns (no stripes or simple checks) break up bulges. Linear patterns draw the eye to disrupted lines.
  • If needed, sew in 2" sections zinc (not lead) wire along the bottom hem on both sides of your shirt to prevent "breezing". Do both sides so it doesn't look odd that only one side rises in the breeze.

T-Shirt carry:
Find a shop that silkscreens logos on T-shirts. Ask them to get you several xtra-long T-shirt in darker colors - black, blue, forest green, etc. Have them silkscreen them with some image or message. Non-gun is preferred. Be sure the message is on the chest to keep eyes up. I like Tiger, Wolf and dog images and messages that make people smile or laugh (then they don't look for a gun).

Insert IWB holster and tuck in shirt. Now raise both arms and stretch. Check appearance in full length mirror & adjust T-shirt evenly. You'll have extra shirt bagging a bit around your middle. The extra-long shirt will keep it tucked in.
Old May 28, 2007, 02:15 PM   #46
Corik Jasra

Great photos, OJ! I had to bring my wife in to oooo and awwwww at the mastiffs...great dogs

Quote:
Non-Linear patterns (no stripes or simple checks) break up bulges. Linear patterns draw the eye to disrupted lines.
I just checked and this is exactly why one of my shirts poorly conceals the gun grip, the stripes warp a bit. I always wondered what bothered me about that shirt... very neat.

Two suggestions on the Summertime Concealment:

The Bianchi Professional 100 is really comfortable and doesn't require much in the way of clothes to conceal it. Note also that the backing proceeds far higher than the lip of the holster. It really prevents the gun from digging into your side. Quite comfortable:

And then the Kangaroo Concealed Carry:

Ooopsy, wrong photo. Here it is:

I am ambivalent about the Kangaroo. It works quite well, but I would feel a lot more safe if I had the holster pouch molded to the weapon. You can conceal in anything, even a t-shirt and speedo =p, assuming your grip is not too sizable (otherwise it will print). If you are interested, Gunblast had an in depth article on it.
Old May 28, 2007, 02:21 PM   #47
kcshooter

I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry c+l on the belt in a Desantis #85 holster. I wear a "wife-beater" t-shirt under a logo tshirt which I have a tendency to wear a little tighter than most people. I hate IWB carry, I'm only comfortable with a belt holster (belly band or ankle carry only as a last resort). I'm 6' and 165, 32" waist. I usually print. Sometimes more than others. But recently I've been paying more attention to how I print and how it affects others around me since I got into a discussion about this with a buddy. Know what I've found?
Nobody notices you're printing as much as you do. Actually, most people never notice a thing no matter how obvious it is. If they see a bulge, most people think "cellphone" and ignore it.
How do I carry in the summer? As comfortably as possible!
Old May 28, 2007, 02:48 PM   #48
wayneinFL

Winter and summer, 99% of the time I'm carrying a S&W j frame snubby in the pocket of my cargo shorts. If I really feel the need to carry anything, I usually carry my glock in a Sidearmor IWB holster, under a Hawaiian shirt or any other shirt that's dark or has some pattern to minimize the print. I think any gun will print on anybody, through any shirt, but as long as no one is looking for a gun, a pattern or dark color will usually hide it enough no one will notice.

I remember when I first started carrying, I got the jitters- felt like everyone was looking at me. It look a little while to realize no one is realling watching.
Old May 28, 2007, 04:00 PM   #49
OJ

Quote:
Breeder note: One doesn't worry about Mastiffs eating people. Mostly they drown from slobber & drool when pinned down by 180 lbs of playful dog.
That's certainly true - their defense strategy is "DROWN'EM IN DROOL". "Little" sis Katie was 187# nine months ago at the vet's and big bro was 202# - playing with them can be nearly as hazardous to your structural integrity as being attacked by smaller dogs.

Old May 28, 2007, 08:58 PM   #50
drinks

For those of us who have almost the same dimensions for height and circumference, Haband sells an elastic waist band style of khaki pants in a bunch of sizes, the cut is full and the right front pocket not only has a watch pocket the .22 mini revolvers will fit in , out of sight, but a second pocket well down in the pocket, for change, I suppose, that is a fine holster for Kel Tecs, Cobras and even airlite snubbies.
I am 67 x 48, wear a T shirt with those pants and all 3 guns named will not show in anything but a full sit position.