The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2002, 09:20 PM   #1
nsf003

Gun fund surplus. Good 12 Ga pump.

The gun fund is accumulating (slowly). I am looking at a 12 Ga pump. I have a Mossberg 500 in 20 Ga already and have shot an 870. I have no experience with a Winchester 1300. I like my Mossberg, but it is time to move up. Is the 870 or 1300 so much better that it would be justified in getting one of them instead of a Mossberg. I know that this topic has been discussed 8 billion times. Thank you.

nsf003

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old May 26, 2002, 10:16 PM   #2
Clemson

An 870 Wingmaster or an Ithaca Model 37 would be a step up from your Mossberg. The Ithaca tends to be a bit lighter than the Remington. Either is a high quality piece.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old May 26, 2002, 11:00 PM   #3
Coronach

I would say either is an improvement, but probably not worth doing until you have your other niches filled. The Mossberg will work just fine, and even if it is a 20g it will still do almost everything a 12 will do.

Note that there are many people who would not consider an 870 a step up from a mossberg, and they're not exactly stupid. The differences are that small, and most of them are personal preference.

Of course, if you found a screaming deal on something, and you plan on doing the upgrade eventually, it might be worth doing now.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old May 27, 2002, 06:27 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The finest pump made today is the 870. You just cannot go wrong with one.

The Ithaca 37 is well made, durable and a bit lighter.

The 1300 and 500 are excellent shotguns, just not quite in the 870's league for longevity. This last is moot, any of these will outlast one generation and maybe 2,even if used more than most are.

So here's the McCRule.....

" When picking a pump gun, handle them all and go with the one that FEELS right"....
Old May 28, 2002, 12:17 AM   #5
leftover

Try a Browning BPS - very nice
Old June 3, 2002, 09:43 PM   #6
Chief Jones

Can't go wrong with either the 870 or the Mossy.....I love them both....
Old June 5, 2002, 02:04 AM   #7
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Having cut my teeth on & shot nothing but 870s for 40 years or so, I'm a bit partial, but ...

(& this from no knowledge whatsoever how your current Mossy 500 is set up) depending on how much in-tune with & familiarity you have with your current set-up, you may prefer to go with what you have - just upgrade to 12 from 20.

Switching between different safety/slide release locations can be a real PITA & worse, if used in a self defense situation. A same-same manual of arms has lots going for it.

Doubtful there's too many "junk" shotguns out here & whatever I used, I'd want them to all be so similar as to not be able to tell the difference in the dark of night & under stress.

Missing a bird in the field just makes your dog look at you funny. Other stuff can be more serious - depends on what you want to do, all told.