The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 10:10 PM   #1
EMH

HK P2000SK vs. SIG P239?

Hey everyone.
I'm looking for a quality sub-combact pistol.
I've narrowed it down to a SIG P239 and HK P2000SK, 9mm.
I've handled and pulled the trigger on both of these and love them both, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and what the take is on these two fine pistols.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Mrgoosell

I cant speak specifically about these exact two guns, but I carry a hk p2000 as my duty weapon and I own a sig pro 2022. IMO my sig is much better than my work hk. From sights to trigger to mag release I like everything on the sig better than the hk. Go with the sig.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 6, 2013, 10:48 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Quote:
From sights to trigger to mag release I like everything on the sig better than the hk. Go with the sig.
I'm the exact opposite. So it's one for one. I'm not sure where the issue with the sights is, both three dot sights. Mag release is of course a personal preference thing if you don't like the location I can understand that. The DA/SA trigger on the SIG will be better than that on a HK P2000, but the P2000 isn't terrible. If it's a LEM trigger on your P2000 that's usually a love it or hate it thing for most people.

As a thought the P2000sk is much more a sub compact than a P239. A regular P2000 is the same size as a P239, in fact a little smaller, lighter, and better capacity by far.

I have owned 6 P2000s, still own two. Hated LEM, much prefer the 9mm over the 40SW. It's a good gun that shoots excellently for me and has never given me any issues. That said, you can probably find a used P239 much easier and it will be just as good as new. For the price savings the P239 might be the better bet. If the price difference doesn't bother you, go for it! ScotchMan has a good review of his somewhere around here...
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 6, 2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Mrgoosell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I'm the exact opposite. So it's one for one. I'm not sure where the issue with the sights is, both three dot sights. Mag release is of course a personal preference thing if you don't like the location I can understand that. The DA/SA trigger on the SIG will be better than that on a HK P2000, but the P2000 isn't terrible. If it's a LEM trigger on your P2000 that's usually a love it or hate it thing for most people.

As a thought the P2000sk is much more a sub compact than a P239. A regular P2000 is the same size as a P239, in fact a little smaller, lighter, and better capacity by far.

I have owned 6 P2000s, still own two. Hated LEM, much prefer the 9mm over the 40SW. It's a good gun that shoots excellently for me and has never given me any issues. That said, you can probably find a used P239 much easier and it will be just as good as new. For the price savings the P239 might be the better bet. If the price difference doesn't bother you, go for it! ScotchMan has a good review of his somewhere around here...
Mine is the lem 40 cal. I hate the lem. Its not a horrible gun but I prefer the sig

Old February 6, 2013, 11:04 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Mine is the lem 40 cal. I hate the lem. Its not a horrible gun but I prefer the sig
Yea I figured, are you CBP?

Like I said LEM is a love or leave it thing. I've shot DA/SA for years. I owned a LEM P2000 for about a month. I shot it okay, but I just didn't like the trigger. If that was only expose to the P2k, I probably wouldn't own one.

To the OP, again my only comment would be a full size P2000 is slightly smaller in height, only 0.5 inch longer in length (not an issue for IWB but I don't know how you carry), a good deal lighter, and has 1.5 X the capacity of the 239. So if they are equally "good" to you, then I would get the P2000 because I think it's a bit more size efficient (though some striker-fired guns are even more so). However if you do like the 239 more, it's a good gun too (and like I said check the used market).
Old February 7, 2013, 01:23 AM   #6
oldandslow

EMH, 2/7/13

I own the Sig 239 and a larger HK compact pistol, the USP-compact .45 as well as a number of other quality pistols (SW 3rd gen, Beretta, CZ, Glock, Springer).

The Sig is an excellent gun. Good trigger, reliable and accurate. Parts and mags seem to be more available and a good bit cheaper than HK (at least before the recent hysteria). The only down side is it is a somewhat big pistol for a single stack 9mm. Since I have big hands it fits me perfect but I think Sig could have put a double stack mag in the same grip size to give more ammo capacity.

As for my HKc-45. If the model HK you're looking at has a similar trigger setup as mine (DA/SA) then the DA pull is terrible. Long, heavy and with severe stacking before firiing. Mags are over $50 each and I had difficulty getting even common parts. While it is light, accurate and reliable I think there are cheaper polymer pistols that work just as well and have better aftermarket service. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 7, 2013, 04:38 AM   #7
Mrgoosell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Yea I figured, are you CBP?

Like I said LEM is a love or leave it thing. I've shot DA/SA for years. I owned a LEM P2000 for about a month. I shot it okay, but I just didn't like the trigger. If that was only expose to the P2k, I probably wouldn't own one.

To the OP, again my only comment would be a full size P2000 is slightly smaller in height, only 0.5 inch longer in length (not an issue for IWB but I don't know how you carry), a good deal lighter, and has 1.5 X the capacity of the 239. So if they are equally "good" to you, then I would get the P2000 because I think it's a bit more size efficient (though some striker-fired guns are even more so). However if you do like the 239 more, it's a good gun too (and like I said check the used market).
Yes I'm cbp

Old February 7, 2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Sixer

I currently own an HK P2000sk and love it... I used to own a 239

Don't get me wrong, the 239 is a fantastic gun, but I found myself leaving it in the safe in favor of the P2000sk. Both conceal well... but the 239 is a bit on the heavy side IMHO. Factor that and the capacity of a single stack... it was tough to justify carrying the Sig over the HK.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:32 AM   #9
PSP

Several years ago these were the two guns I narrowed my search to. I ended up choosing the HK because the controls were better suited to me and I prefered the HK ergonomics. Both guns are great, but the HK "fit me" better. I've been very pleased with the HK ever since. It shoots like a larger gun, always works like a clock and has been easy to conceal. I carry it in a Galco Concealable.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:38 AM   #10
EMH

I guess for me, I do like the HK's trigger, but I love SIG's DA/SA SRT trigger system. But I like the size and the better concealability of the HK better. Oh tough decisions.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:38 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
As for my HKc-45. If the model HK you're looking at has a similar trigger setup as mine (DA/SA) then the DA pull is terrible. Long, heavy and with severe stacking before firiing. Mags are over $50 each and I had difficulty getting even common parts. While it is light, accurate and reliable I think there are cheaper polymer pistols that work just as well and have better aftermarket service. Good luck.
The DA pull on the P-series pistols tends to much much smoother. The price you pay though is it is a longer length of pull with a longer reset. Can't have both I guess, .

Quote:
I love SIG's DA/SA SRT trigger system
There's no getting around it, SIGs have better triggers. I can recommend a few quick mods with factory parts for HKs that make things better, but still won't be as good. Thing is I actually shoot them about the same despite the triggers because of how well the HK fits my hand. Also it's a carry pistol, not a target pistol.

Your call boss
Old February 7, 2013, 04:39 PM   #12
mikebxb

p2000sk

Most sigs are better melted down & made into fishing weights. Unless you have an affinity for FTFs FTEs and occasional stovepipes opt for the HK P2000SK.
HK built like tank, accurate, dependable, polygonal barrel, accepts longer mags.
I have the SK V3 it is awesome.
Old February 7, 2013, 04:40 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
Most sigs are better melted down & made into fishing weights. Unless you have an affinity for FTFs FTEs and occasional stovepipes opt for the HK P2000SK.
Now that is a bit of an exaggeration, even for this HK fan .
Old February 7, 2013, 05:04 PM   #14
mikebxb

a little extreme. yes
but 10 years in LEO, combat pistol traing & qual etc. It's been my personal experience witnessing Sig malfunctions.
I would not bet my life on one given other options. (They do feel good in the hand tho')
Old February 7, 2013, 06:32 PM   #15
ScotchMan

Yikes. Well, that's a data point.

Quote:
ScotchMan has a good review of his somewhere around here...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493741

I do love my P2000sk. I recently got a customized Dale Fricke Archangel for it, and carrying, drawing, holstering, is now all fantastic.

To me, the P239 is better compared to a Walther PPS or S&W M&P Shield because it is a single stack. That said, the ones I've handled have been extremely tempting, but they are heavy for carry. If weight isn't something you mind, I think it would be a great choice.

I am a huge fan of the LEM trigger, so to me that would call it for the P2000sk by far. It is the best DAO trigger system there is, in my opinion, when it is medium or light form. If you aren't into LEM, I think either gun would be an excellent choice, but would still go with the sk due to weight and capacity.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old February 7, 2013, 08:07 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
I do love my P2000sk. I recently got a customized Dale Fricke Archangel for it, and carrying, drawing, holstering, is now all fantastic.
I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of that sometime if you ever feel the need to make a thread.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:29 PM   #17
Rinspeed

Quote:

I'm a big fan of most HKs but that's just a goofy post to say the least.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:17 PM   #18
LockedBreech

Quote:
Most sigs are better melted down & made into fishing weights. Unless you have an affinity for FTFs FTEs and occasional stovepipes
Nonsense.

Every brand has lemons on occasion, but Sig makes very high quality guns.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:17 PM   #19
1hogfan83

I have the P2000sk. I took the sig into consideration but it just didn't hold many rounds for weight ratio. I have the DA/SA and it takes some getting use to, now that I have it, I wouldn't give it up. The ergos on it are awesome, de cocker, magazine release lever. That's one of the main reasons I bought it, I have smaller hands and I don't have to adjust my grip to reload. I once watched a video on a P239 saying something like "Its the best pistol you don't need." You can get some work done on the trigger, get a larger magazine paddle release and your ready to go. Mags are about $35 and I believe it can use p2000 usp mags.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 7, 2013, 11:41 PM   #20
mikebxb

"Nonsense.

Every brand has lemons on occasion, but Sig makes very high quality guns."

thats what everyone keeps trying to tell me.
they have good ergonomics.However, I've seen too many choke up during intense training & qualification.
I strongly favor the HK, Beretta and Glock over other manufacturers.

Last edited by mikebxb; February 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:53 AM   #21
tristar viper

That post was beyond nonsense and goofy.....it's a totally moronic thing to have said, or even to suggest because it's so blatantly false. Not sure what your agenda or intention REALLY is on here, but you've already got ZERO credibility in my book.
That was probably the most outlandish and ridiculous remark I have EVER seen on here.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:24 AM   #22
tristar viper

I love both brands....got my eye out for an HK USP right now, but I don't know how anyone with an average sized hand can like the P2000SK. The finger extension on the mag is right where your last finger needs to be....it's the most uncomfortable little gun for that very reason.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:28 PM   #23
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebxb View Post
"Nonsense.

Every brand has lemons on occasion, but Sig makes very high quality guns."

thats what everyone keeps trying to tell me.
they have good ergonomics.However, I've seen too many choke up during intense training & qualification.
I strongly favor the HK, Beretta and Glock over other manufacturers.

I understand how bad experiences can sour you on a brand. I hope you come across a cheap used one someday so you can give Sig another shot
Old February 8, 2013, 02:50 PM   #24
BigJimP

I prefer the Sig 239 over the HK ....

and while I don't carry it too often ( I prefer a 1911 for carry ) ...I bought one in 9mm and a 2nd one in .40S&W last year. They've both been very solid guns...good quality..easy to shoot even though I have big hands. The small extension / base pad on the 239 mags ...makes it work for me...in 9mm or
.40S&W.....with a good IWB Kramer horsehide holster...and a spare mag...
Old February 8, 2013, 10:22 PM   #25
rickmelear

Have owned a 229 in.40, a 2340 and a 239 in 9mm as well as a USP .40 and they have all functioned flawlessly. I have only handled a P2000sk, that being said I find the 239 as one incredible piece, yes it is heavy and thick for a single stack but so easy to shoot well. Your choice but as for me I choose Sig. By the way, the USP was traded even up for a Mark III Hi Power.