The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2009, 11:40 AM   #1
dsv424

AR-15 primers

I bought some Remington 6 1/2 primers for small rifle with the idea I would use them in my AR. Has anyone used this primer in a AR rifle. After purchasing these primers I saw somewhere that these may cause "slam fire" problems. I'm hoping I can still use these in my AR but don't want to chance it until I hear from somebody that has tried this primer.
Old March 2, 2009, 11:44 AM   #2
HJ857

They do work, however the slamfire issue is a big potential problem though. It's really not worth the risk.

I bought a few thousand of them once when I had no other options, I use them if I'm testing on a bench and single loading or loading a max of three rounds per mag. I've never had a slamfire, but I'm always conscious of the possibility.
Old March 2, 2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Lavid2002

I use 7 1/2 primers, the cup is a lil thicker and helps prevent slam fires, if you do wana use the 6 1/2s just make sure you seat them deep. Feel each and every casing to see if you seated it properly. Also, point the thing in a safe direction when you load it. EXPECT a slamfire. IF you seat em properly...and dont make this a regular thing you kin do it!
Old March 2, 2009, 01:28 PM   #4
kraigwy

Nothing wrong with Remington SR primers in the AR. I use them exclusevly in my White Oak Service Rifle upper.

I've never head a problem of slam fires with remington, Winchester yes, but no Remington.

The White Oak web site recomments Remington in their ARs because they are safe AND ACCURATE.

I really like Winchester primers too, but only in bolt guns.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:25 AM   #5
ComradeBurg

As stated using regular primers in an AR (or almost any other military style rifle) risks slam fires. If you want to reload for such rifles you'll want to get mil-spec primers.

CCI makes mil-spec small rifle primers under the label 41. I'm sure others do as well.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:41 AM   #6
kraigwy

Quote:
As stated using regular primers in an AR (or almost any other military style rifle) risks slam fires. If you want to reload for such rifles you'll want to get mil-spec primers.
40 years or so loading for semi's, ARs, M14s Fal's AK/SKS, A4s, BARs, M1s you name it, I fould that romor bogus.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:53 AM   #7
dsv424

Kraig in your experience have you used Rem. 6 1/2 primers and does the advise about seating them as deep as you can sound like it would prevent slam fires more so. I have about 1,000 CCI 41 left but in a panic buy(not knowing when I would find small rifle primers again) I saw 800 Rem. 6 1/2 primers at Bass Pro and scooped them up with the hope I could use them in my AR.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:42 AM   #8
kraigwy

DVS, yes I use the Remington Primer almost exclusively on my ARs. I use the Dillion RL 1000 (the first production loader from dillon, from the 70s). I don't do anything special except to make sure they are seated flush and consistant. I have, over the years, noticed that primers are critical to accurate shooting and changing primers changes everything. An example is my 204 Ruger. When I first got it there wasnt much info on loading them. I found a load put out by Sierra. I took their accuracy load, using Benchmark powder w/federal match primers. The load in my # 1 wasnt anywhere close to what Sierra came up with. I only got 3700 FPS. By changing primers only (to CCI) I increased the velocity to 4300 with the same load. More accurate too.

I know this dosnt answer your question, but to show primers need to be considered when working loads.

To better answer you question, Back in the late 70s I had a manufactor license. I sold reloaded ammo to local police departments and gun stores. Back then 223s were just becoming popular and I was requested by differant gun stores to produce "remanufactored 223 ammo" . Lots of Rugers and ARs were coming on the market. Lots of Vietnam era shooters were picking up ARs so they could have a rifle like they used in the service.

To do that I had to buy a lot of primers, all kinds, what every the wholesellers could provide. This was in Alaska, back then shipping to Alaska left a bit to be desired so I had to make do. I use thousands of Rem. CCI, Fed, and Winchester primers. No slam fires ever with any of them. I did wear out some sizing dies, had to go to a carbide die made by Hollywood.

Anyway I haven't had any slam fires do to primers, White Oak says Winchester is thinner, I dont know. I like Remington for Match loads and CCI for plinkers (I use RL 15 for matches and 335 for pliners).

What I would advise is grabbing every primer you can find, work your load to match and go for it. Last weekend I drove 80 miles to a large gun show expecting to pick up primers, I couldn't fine one rifle primer, NOT ONE.

I wouldnt hesitate now to use any primer, just adjust your load accordingly.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:14 PM   #9
snuffy

6.5 NOT for .223!

The Rem. 6½ primer is made for the 22 hornet, 218 bee and other low pressure 22 centerfires. Loaded in the high intensity .223, they can perforate at the edge of the primer dent. That releases high pressure, high temperature gasses directly at the bolt face surrounding the firing pin hole. I KNOW this, because it happened to me TWICE! First time was with my super 16 contender in .223. It cost me postage one way to TC to have a new FP bushing installed. The second time was with my Bushy AR, that one cost me a new bolt. The jet of hot gases acted like a cutting torch, or plasma cutter to the bolt face. The pin hole along side of the primer dent allowed the gases to escape.

The Rem 7½ primer is actually made for AR .223. It is considered by most as good as the CCI 41.

I'll admit that the loads that caused the problems for me were near max pressure. You could probably get away with starting loads while using the 6½ primers. Or lighter than 50 grain bullets.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:43 PM   #10
dsv424

Thx for the advise guys. I'll probably go ahead and use them with light loads and make sure they are well seated. Also, on a side note I have another question. I've been using H335 and RL15 but I heard that Varget is the best powder for the .223. Any truth in this or will I even notice any difference in performance.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Alleykat

You can always install a titanium f.p., then the possibility of slamfires will be mitigated. I never use "special" primers in my AR reloading. After a few thousand rounds, I've never experienced a slamfire.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:50 PM   #12
A_Gamehog

Interesting Video on Slam fires and Primers...Must see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gMbu...eature=related
Old March 3, 2009, 07:58 PM   #13
kraigwy

Quote:
The Rem. 6½ primer is made for the 22 hornet, 218 bee and other low pressure 22 centerfires. Loaded in the high intensity .223, they can perforate at the edge of the primer dent.
Actually the Remington 6 1/2 primer is their standard Small Rifle Primer, the 7 1/2 is their match primer.

Both can be used in the 223 safely.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:22 PM   #14
amamnn

Slam fires are more of a danger in the M1 and M14 than the M16/AR15, as long as you have seated the primer properly.

Here's an excellent source of gas gun reloading FACTS.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...sgunreload.cfm
Old March 4, 2009, 01:33 AM   #15
snuffy

Quote:
Actually the Remington 6 1/2 primer is their standard Small Rifle Primer, the 7 1/2 is their match primer.

Both can be used in the 223 safely.
Then why is there a warning on the 1000 box/carton about exactly what I said in my post above? Something to the effect of "for use only in 22 hornet 218 bee and other small case low pressure cartridges." My box is long gone, I'm down to less than a hundred of the 6½ primers left, I'm saving them for my hornet.

Go ahead, use them for .223. Don't whine to me when you have to replace your bolt.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:50 PM   #16
lll Otto lll

Quote:
The White Oak web site recomments Remington in their ARs because they are safe AND ACCURATE.
The owner of White Oak uses Rem 7-1/2 bench rest primers and so do I.
http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-reloading.htm
Old March 4, 2009, 04:47 PM   #17
Alleykat

Quote:
Then why is there a warning on the 1000 box/carton about exactly what I said in my post above?
How about a link to a source for that caveat, other than your memory of what the vanished box said?
Old March 4, 2009, 05:06 PM   #18
kraigwy

Quote:
How about a link to a source for that caveat, other than your memory of what the vanished box said
I'm setting here looking at the Rem 6 1/7, 1000 pack box right now, That warning ISN'T on my box.
Old March 4, 2009, 05:18 PM   #19
blue dingo

I just bought a full thousand box of new Rem 6 1/2's and don't see any kind of warning about using them in the lower pressure rounds. I've heard about those situations and am reluctant to work up any full power loads with them in my varmint rifles. I guess they will work in small pistol rounds like the .32 acp and .380 acp huh? This darned primer delima is crazy.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:11 PM   #20
snuffy

Quote:
DaveInPA

There is a warning directly on the box that the 6 1/2 primers should not be used in .223, among others. They're basically just for the .22 Hornet, IIRC.
That was on this thread;

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...%C2%BD-primers

This is from the THR reloading forum;

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...n+6%BD+primers

Quote:
Runningman

Sounds like excessive pressure to me. You have changed two components from the Hodgdon manual loads. Substituted V Max for Nosler B/T and are at near max load. Not a good idea. .224 cal V Max bullets will build more pressure/velocity sooner at a given charge weight than a .224 Nosler B/T in my experience.

Also 6 1/2 primers are a bad idea. The cup is thiner than 7 1/2. They are made for 22 Hornet pressure. Get some 7 1/2s or WSR primers.
Also from the same thread;
Quote:
243winxb

6 1/2 Remington Primer Not for the 221 Remington Fireball.
Warning: Remington does not recommend this primer for use in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 204 Ruger, 17 Remington Fireball. Use the 7-1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primer in these cartridges.

This 6-1/2 Small Rifle primer is primarily designed for use in the 22 Hornet.
Maybe the newer ones are harder/thicker, so they don't have that warning on them. My memory is FAR from perfect, but I do remember seeing it on that sleeve. AFTER I had those problems. The individual 100 box does NOT have the warning, just the 1000 sleeve.

Do as you want, it's still somewhat of a free country, but won't be after King Hussein gets done!
Old March 4, 2009, 08:02 PM   #21
snuffy

From the midway primers site;

here;
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=152548

Within every Remington primer is a group of subcomponents assembled to exceptionally tight tolerances. Primer cup dimensions are controlled to .0001", and the priming mix is specially formulated for consistent ignition with a wide variety of powder types. Primers are tested for reliability from -20 degrees F to +150 degrees F. The unique tripod anvil design creates a larger strike area with maximum sensitivity, even with off center firing pin strikes.

Warning: Remington does not recommend this primer for use in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 204 Ruger, 17 Remington Fireball. Use the 7-1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primer in these cartridges.

# This 6-1/2 Small Rifle primer is primarily designed for use in the 22 Hornet.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:20 PM   #22
dsv424

OK guys, the reason I created this thread was because of what I read on the 100 pack of 6 1/2 Remington Primers. And I quote this on the side of the box. "Do not use 6 1/2 small rifle primers in high intensity rifle cartridges such as the .17 Rem., 222 Rem., and the .223 Rem. Damage to your firearm and/or serious personal injury may result. Consult Remington Arms @ 800-243-9700 for a free catalog or visit our website www.Remington.com. Recommended primers for each cartridge are listed in the catalog ballistics tables." Sorry for all the controversy I may have caused but I simple thought I had heard that others where using this primer in AR-15 with no problems at all. And from what I have gathered from this post I now believe this to be true as long as you use a light load and make sure the primer is well seated. It also appears that if you ensure that the OAL is at least 2.250 or smaller you would in all practical purposes never experience a slam fire.
Old March 6, 2009, 12:46 AM   #23
A_Gamehog

1995 Primer data.....

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php
Old March 6, 2009, 09:36 AM   #24
blue dingo

Gamehog, thanks for that link. I see that article is pretty old so I wonder if any of our wiz=bang experts could do it with the newest primers including the Wolf and Magtechs.
+1
blue dingo