The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 22, 2001, 08:16 PM   #1
Derek Zeanah

Mauser question

I've got a Mauser (Oberndorf -- think it was originally a Turk) based pseudo-scout that was built by its previous owner. I'm really happy with the gun, but there's one problem: if I load 5 rounds in the magazine, the first feeds fine, but the second almost always pops out in front of the bolt.

I threw a bunch of rounds down-range today and discovered that only loading 4 rounds in the magazine seems to totally eliminate the problem. Is this something I should just learn to live with (4 rounds is fine for most things, and will probably group better ) or is there something that can be done to correct the problem?

Details: It's an Oberndorf action with a Remington 700 .308 barrel, aftermarket trigger (safety on right side) and stock, handle on the bolt bent. Shoots great. Except when I need a cleaning rod to push a round out of the barrel.

Wish I knew what other information might be helpful.

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old August 22, 2001, 11:05 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

When a Mauser type rifle is converted from one caliber to another, the feed guides in the receiver rails often need work to make sure they retain the new cartridges properly. In most cases, the change from 8x57 to .308 works OK, but I think you have the exception.

When do you need a cleaning rod to push a round out of the barrel? Do you mean that fired cases won't extract? That sounds like a whole different problem, probably a bad extractor.

If you are not sure what is going on, I suggest taking the rifle to a gunsmith.

PS: When one buys a used rifle, one also buys the reason the original owner got rid of it.

Jim
Old August 22, 2001, 11:38 PM   #3
Derek Zeanah

In this case, the original owner built himself a rifle, and built a second one for his buddy (who later couldn't come up with the money). I bought it before it had any sights on it (for a good price), FWIW.

Re the cleaning rod: when loading the 2nd round from the magazine (again, only when loading 5 at a time) the round pops out of the mag in front of the bolt, and the bolt pushes the round up in the chamber far/hard enough that gravity won't pull it out. I haven't been able to get the bolt to grab it in these cases either, hence the cleaning rod.

I'll see if I can find a referral to someone competent around here. Anyone know of a good gunsmith around Savannah (or in South Carolina)?

--Thomas Jefferson
Old August 23, 2001, 08:48 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

dzeanah, contact Doc Lisenby [email protected]. He's in Chesterfield. If he can't help you himself I'm sure he knows someone in the area. I'm not sure if he's still working on other folks' guns or not but he's the man to talk to in SC. George
Old August 23, 2001, 12:02 PM   #5
Derek Zeanah

Thanks George. I'll shoot him an e-mail later this afternoon.

--Thomas Jefferson