The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 22, 2014, 09:50 AM   #1
BerettaBrassCatcher

Handgun Brass Catcher

I am currently a high school student in Wisconsin, that goes to an engineering school which focuses on Project Based Learning. There is a Senior Project that is required to graduate which is supposed to be about 200 hours of work. For that senior project you are required to innovate something existing, invent something entirely new, or develop a marketable product. Since I am interested in firearms I had the idea of developing a brass catcher for semi-automatic handguns. Specifically right now I am looking at developing one for the Beretta 92FS platform. The brass catcher itself would be 3D printed and molded into the grip plate and then screwed on, or it would be removable with a pin or snap insert (or both). That way you could take it on/off with no issues or you could leave it on the gun if you target shoot often. The component that holds the brass would either be a plastic receptacle (like a reverse magazine) or part of it is plastic and with a little net or bag on the bottom.

Advantages: You don't have to pick up your brass. The brass is clean and ready for reloading (since it doesn't get dirty on the ground). It might reduce the noise level coming from the ejection port a little. Easy cleanup.

Engineering Goals:
1. Doesn't affect grip.
2. Works effectively.
3. Easy to use.
4. Easily removable.
5. Stands up to shooting and is durable.
6. Must hold at least 15 spent casings (normal magazine size of the Beretta 92).

Comments, Concerns, Suggestions? I am pretty passionate about this idea, I know it wouldn't work for Glocks (sorry) but 1911's and Beretta 92's it would. Do you think it's doable? Would you guys be interested in this type of product? Let me know and try not to shoot me down (lol).
Old September 22, 2014, 11:18 AM   #2
jetinteriorguy

One way would be to make it so it would attach to the picatinny rail some guns have on the front of the frame. Of course this would only work with this type of gun, but may still qualify it for your project needs.
Old September 22, 2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Fishbed77

If it was something that mounted to the forward accessory rail (rather than the grip panels), it would be much more easily installed and removed, and would fit a much wider variety of firearms (rather than just one model).

It would need to be as light as possible, as any eccentrically-mounted weight will disrupt the balance of the pistol. Since so many pistol-shooting sports are based on time, you don't want anything that slow down follow-up shots (not as much of an issue with a rifle, which is heavier and supported by three points of contact).

And now to play a little devil's advocate. If you are just standing in place shooting, how does this function better than a small tarp on the ground (which does not affect the balance or weight of the pistol)? If you are moving and shooting, most shooters are not going to want anything hanging awkwardly off the side of the pistol (again, less of an issue with larger rifles). I'm not trying to shoot down the idea by any means, just offering up some points that need to be considered.

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 22, 2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old September 22, 2014, 11:35 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

Go for it.

You'd make a lot of money inventing a brass magnet, though.
Old September 22, 2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Jim243

It would be a worthwhile project, BUT the gun you have chosen the 92 has an open frame receiver and the casings will go up as well and to the side. This may be problematic in designing a case catcher for that pistol unless you have part of the catcher going over the top of the pistol and deflecting the case into your design. For an inexpensive material for catching and retaining the cases, you may want to look into plastic screening material used to repair window screens, it is pliable and strong enough to catch the cases.

Good Luck and be sure to take out a patient on your design.

Jim

I have a Taurus PT-92 that it should work on as well, I am looking forward to your results.

Last edited by Jim243; September 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old September 22, 2014, 12:30 PM   #6
skizzums

I would love one, I don't own a 92, is it an all steel frame? Maybe really strong rare earth magnet that can jut stick, could be ised on a variety of guns that have steel frames.

Please be sensitive when talking about guns at school. Zero tolerance could come back to bite you. But of there was an effective catcher for pistols for under 20-25$, I would buy one

Maybe two magnets, one on each side with a wire frame that would connect each side for better grip, if that makes any sense. Also a rail mount would be the big profit one, with all the tactical operators out there these days
Old September 22, 2014, 12:43 PM   #7
skizzums

After thinking about it, magnet most likely not be strong enough, worth a try though
Like I said. I don't own a 92 so I don't know how they are set up, bit could you fashion a pin the same size as a pin in the frame and attach it that way? Just thinking out loud, its an interesting project with a lot of probabilities.
Old September 22, 2014, 12:44 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Please reduce the size of your pictures.
"...or develop a marketable product..." It'd been done. There are others that go on your hand with an elastic as well.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...=brass+catcher
Old September 22, 2014, 12:47 PM   #9
polyphemus

You are going to find out that bolt on accessories may not have universal appeal
and that for many shooters spent brass is not valuable and they discard or abandon it.Having said that,there is a demand for used brass so that would be
your focus,ok look at it this way: rather than concentrate on the firearm you might try designing a trap to catch ejected brass before it hits the ground.
Good luck man,can't wait to see you on Shark Tank.
Old September 22, 2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
It'd been done. There are others that go on your hand with an elastic as well.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...=brass+catcher
None of those products mounts to a handgun.

The only one shown that would even work with a handgun is the universal one that sits on the ground to catch brass.
Old September 22, 2014, 02:05 PM   #11
polyphemus

Quote:
For that senior project you are required to innovate something existing, invent something entirely new, or develop a marketable product
OP can improve on existing products,there's nothing new under the Sun but there's always room for better.
Old September 22, 2014, 02:16 PM   #12
hartcreek

been done

I own a brass catcher that uses a velcro strap to attach to your hand. The newer versions have a frame that extends above the hand more to catch brass from more upward ejections. It needs to hold more then 15 rounds as mine does.
Old September 22, 2014, 03:42 PM   #13
mete

In WWII they had a wire cage to catch the brass .There was a shootout between two observation aircraft - the brass catcher was for that type of combat !!!
Another type Ive seen was a cloth bag attached that caught the brass.
One problem is it should be quick to put on or remove otherwise you'll have problems with a holster !

Zero Tolerance = Zero Brains !!
Old September 22, 2014, 04:16 PM   #14
wogpotter

Think outside the box.
There are always innovations possible.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 22, 2014, 07:55 PM   #15
10-96

Dang! Today I was just talking to a friend about how somebody ought to design a tumbler bowl that would mount onto my pickups hubs/wheels. That way, I could tumble four different types of brass on my way to work & home and not have to worry about sorting brass.

Do you have any classmates that would be up for designing that?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 23, 2014, 08:03 AM   #16
BerettaBrassCatcher

Thanks!

Thank all of you for your feedback. To answer about the existing brass catchers, there are no patented brass catchers for pistols. They exist and are patented on several AR platforms but not for handguns. I might have to change my plans and go with the picatinny mounted brass catcher. Brass is not magnetic and if any part of it were, I think it would be the primer (don't quote me) but remember for something to be magnetic it needs to have iron in it. My principal and I are in a good relationship to where I actually got my pistol's slide engraved with my name on it using the laser engraver we have at our school. And yes easily attachable/detachable was one of my engineering goals.
Old September 23, 2014, 08:09 AM   #17
BerettaBrassCatcher

And that brass tumbler idea is very interesting, I'll give you that.