The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 13, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
jpsshack

RIA 1911 barrel bore rough/normal?

Community,
Just picked up a basic RIA 1911 GI model. Love it, though I notice that the barrel bore, particularly the grooves, doesn't have the satiny polish of my other pistols (Walther, SIG, S&W & Ruger). Still shoots good, but I wonder if this is normal with these guns. There are very faint score marks that I can see with my Barrel-Lite, and I can feel them with the bronze brush as compared to running one through any of my other pistols. I only have about 250-odd rounds through it. Any thoughts on the matter are welcome.
-jp
Old July 13, 2011, 11:05 PM   #2
GURU1911

ROUGH BORE

Take a .45 caliber bronze brush & wrap a wisp of 3-0 / 4-0 steel wool around the bristles. From breech to muzzle, pass it through the bore about 25 times. Pass clean patch through bore & inspect under strong light. Now smear some metal polish (flitz, maas, or simichrome) into the bristles & pass again through the bore 25 more times. Pass clean patches through the bore until the patches come out clean. Inspect again under strong light. That should help to smooth both the lands & grooves of that new barrel.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old July 13, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3
hoghunting

If your pistol is shooting accurately, then I would just keep shooting it. Shooting it and cleaning it will eventually smooth the barrel.
Old July 14, 2011, 07:09 AM   #4
jpsshack

Thanks folks. Sounds like a plan.