The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 15, 2006, 06:01 PM   #26
OBIWAN

No...Iwas talking about the amount of training you would need to match the value of having an instructor work with you
Old March 15, 2006, 09:22 PM   #27
threegun

David, Comparing gun handling and tactics with heart surgery is a bit of a stretch. No way to prove either of us right except to say that somebody invented the training. Have you never developed your own training? I would think so given your expierience. I had to develope my own training as well as copy the professionals whenever possible. Funny that much of what I was doing on my own is pretty close to alot of what the big schools do.

Quote:
It is interesting to me that the only people who ever claim they can be as good on their own as those with professional training are those who have not had any professional training.
It is just as interesting to me, how many graduates of the professional trainers could be outdone, by one without professional training. I stand by my belief that one doesn't need shooting school to become proficient.

Come to Florida and lets hit the range or even better a match. Spring break is almost here Prof. Armstrong be a great time. Loser buys lunch.
Old March 15, 2006, 09:28 PM   #28
threegun

Obiwan, If I was able to shoot 300 rounds perday I would be a professional. I have seen what a shooter firing a mear 500 rounds per week can achieve much less 1500.
Old March 17, 2006, 01:34 PM   #29
David Armstrong

Quote:
David, Comparing gun handling and tactics with heart surgery is a bit of a stretch.
Both of them involve specific skills and training issues. You claim that anyone can get as well trained by reading books and watch in gvideos as taking training. That is nonsense, no matter what example you use. You can talk about driving cars, appraising property, shooting, swimming, or any other sport or activity that requires specific skills that one must learn.
Quote:
No way to prove either of us right except to say that somebody invented the training.
Nonsense again. It is proven every day, in many fields. Your refusal to recognize that does not change the facts.
Quote:
Have you never developed your own training?
Yes, I have. And I realized how inadequate that was the first time I got some professional training.
Quote:
Funny that much of what I was doing on my own is pretty close to alot of what the big schools do.
Given that you have never attended any of the big schools (or little for that matter) that is another claim without any support.
Quote:
It is just as interesting to me, how many graduates of the professional trainers could be outdone, by one without professional training.
That claim again is rather specious given your recognized history. It also is indicative of how little you understand the purpose of good training and what it is designed to do.
Quote:
I stand by my belief that one doesn't need shooting school to become proficient.
Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. That does not mean everyone is also entitled to their own facts. f course we are not talking about shooting schools, we are discussing professional training. The fact that you would mix the two up is rather telling.
Quote:
Come to Florida and lets hit the range or even better a match.
I find nothing in Florida that attracts me. If I want to shoot a match there a plenty around here. Thanks anyway.
Old March 17, 2006, 05:52 PM   #30
threegun

Let me get this straight. In the beginning the gun was invented. Joe six pack decides to become proficient in gun handling and tactics. What gun school does he attend? What professional instructor has materialized out of thin air? You say that it cannot be done yet TR and GS instructors had to either invent the material taught or obtain it from someone who invented it. So it can be done.

Aside from proper mechanics most of what is taught can easily be copied visually. I'm sorry that you are only able to learn with hands on training. I am able to watch your movements and duplicate them.....it ain't that hard.

Quote:
from thunder ranchTactical Handgun - TH
Course addresses basic skills of safety, drawing, loading, malfunctions as well as some advanced skills i.e. distance firing, injury drills, ground fighting, shooting and moving as well as other issues for defensive use of handgun.
A few friends of mine can watch and learn also and they aren't professors. My wife said that some people need hands on so I won't argue. Those of you who need hands on must have the training. I will say it again since you missed it, I agree that if you can afford formal training get it and save yourself alot of time and a few bumps in the road. If you cannot afford it, read, buy some video's, and practice like crazy and you will be just fine. For you to suggest otherwise is nonsense.

Quote:
f course we are not talking about shooting schools, we are discussing professional training. The fact that you would mix the two up is rather telling.
Pretty petty Dave.

To bad we can't attend TR or GS together.
Closed Thread