The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 9, 2001, 11:07 PM   #1
9mmMike

What makes the 870 an "Express"?

Can someone tell me what makes my 870 an Express model other than the fact that the receiver says "EXPRESS MAGNUM" on it?
Thanks,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old August 9, 2001, 11:19 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The Express uses a plastic triggerplate, the new "dimpled" magazine tube assembly, a hardwood stock, and a powder-coat black finish.

The Wingmaster uses an aluminum triggerplate, the older non-dimpled magazine tube assembly, a walnut stock, and a blued finish.

The plastic triggerplate and dimpled mag tube will probably become standard on the Wingmaster sooner or later.

Everything else is the same as on the Wingmaster guns.
Old August 10, 2001, 06:51 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Express has a non polished blue finish, hardwood stock, and the things already said.

Basically, the changes are cosmetic, and help the 870s stay competitive with other lower cost pumps.
Old August 10, 2001, 09:33 PM   #4
contender4040

The express in not as finely finished as a wingmaster and the express will rust more readily due to its rough surface trapping and retaining moisture. The express also has a less expensive stock that is of softer wood. The std express models come with one choke while wingmasters are supplied with three. A wingmaster runs generally $200.00 more than an express. The wingmaster can also be had with a light contour barrel.
Old August 11, 2001, 12:08 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Remington was determined to make a steel receiver shotgun which could compete against the Mossberg 500. The Express was the product of corporate will. I think Mossberg one-upped Big Green with the cheaper Maverick shotgun.
Old August 11, 2001, 07:30 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Contender, that rough surface also traps and retains oil! With reasonable maintenance, I see little if any difference in corrosion resistance.

Both the matte blue bbl on Frankenstein and the highly polished one on my oldest have seen plenty of salt marshes, goose blinds and bad weather. Neither has any rust.

While the Expresses come with one choke tube vs the WM's 3, the tubes are both widely available and inexpensive. I've seen them as low as $10 in 12 ga,$8 in 20.

I believe I'll start a thread on Remington bbls, I've seen some confusion about them lately.
Old August 11, 2001, 10:41 PM   #7
contender4040

I agree that with reasonable care, an express can be perserved. Just in my area I guess the majority of people don't take care of them as I had seen some rusty examples on some fairly new expresses. Or maybe it is that the used wingmasters had been taken care of much better by their previous owners.
The truth is that the wingmasters have become so high in price that the express line has totally burried it in sales putting a lot more expresses into people's hands therefore a lot more in the fields to probably be abused.
Maybe I am just use to the quality on a finely finished wingmaster(16ga and 12ga) Now that I am getting older, I'll probably go down to a 20 ga.
I still believe that for the quality of blueing, wood, and extra chokes, the wingmaster is still a better value over the long run.
Then again, maybe it is me that is out-of date. The industry is fighting for the bottom line and every dollar it can get. Hardwood stocks, synthetic stocks, matt finishes, plastic parts--all to cut pricing. Maybe I should modernize.
Nope.